General Information

4 months later; a thing happened today.

MicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
About 4 months in now;

The daily 80% Charge thing has stopped bothering me; I'll not charge for 2-3 days at a time now depending upon what we are doing errand wise; I generally don't plug it in unless its at like 50% now. The only reason why I plugin at 50 honestly is that the car is noticeably less punchy around half charge (people have confirmed it's like 100hp down on power below something like 60%).

My 21 inch factory Uber Turbines are still curb rash magnets; haven't had any new incidents in the past 2 months, but "the damage is done" obviously. Once the rubber is used up I will change to 19 or 20 inch rims with a narrower rim width and a square tire footprint.

No rattles/squeaks/noises, and honestly the car hasn't had any software weirdness since my last update.

First major road-trip happened late last month from home to Minneapolis MN for work; 2 Supercharger stops to get up there and made a 3rd just outside of our AirBNB so we'd start the week with a high level of charge since I didn't have destination charging, both were less than 20 minutes, and the car only wound itself down to like 40% or so at either stop. I did 80mph the whole way both directions and had my hitch mounted basket off the back with work equipment, spent about $117 in total in Supercharging for the entire trip (something like 900 miles).

The charger before last on the way home (Rural 5 stall behind a culver's in Wisconsin) was a 150KW that only ever really gave me 50KW which resulted in a 50 minute stop (We had lunch and walked the dog anyways so it wasn't really that inconvenient), but "now I know" to always target the level 3's when possible. The second one was a typical screaming fast level 3 that had us on our way in 15 minutes.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
About 4 months in now;

The daily 80% Charge thing has stopped bothering me; I'll not charge for 2-3 days at a time now depending upon what we are doing errand wise; I generally don't plug it in unless its at like 50% now. The only reason why I plugin at 50 honestly is that the car is noticeably less punchy around half charge (people have confirmed it's like 100hp down on power below something like 60%).

My 21 inch factory Uber Turbines are still curb rash magnets; haven't had any new incidents in the past 2 months, but "the damage is done" obviously. Once the rubber is used up I will change to 19 or 20 inch rims with a narrower rim width and a square tire footprint.

No rattles/squeaks/noises, and honestly the car hasn't had any software weirdness since my last update.

First major road-trip happened late last month from home to Minneapolis MN for work; 2 Supercharger stops to get up there and made a 3rd just outside of our AirBNB so we'd start the week with a high level of charge since I didn't have destination charging, both were less than 20 minutes, and the car only wound itself down to like 40% or so at either stop. I did 80mph the whole way both directions and had my hitch mounted basket off the back with work equipment, spent about $117 in total in Supercharging for the entire trip (something like 900 miles).

The charger before last on the way home (Rural 5 stall behind a culver's in Wisconsin) was a 150KW that only ever really gave me 50KW which resulted in a 50 minute stop (We had lunch and walked the dog anyways so it wasn't really that inconvenient), but "now I know" to always target the level 3's when possible. The second one was a typical screaming fast level 3 that had us on our way in 15 minutes.
Do you think you would see much of a range increase if you dropped speed down to 70-ish? At both 70 and 80mph what is the predicted range from a full charge? One reason I've stayed away from BEV is because of going to my dad's, and it being 500 miles each way. But he's moving about 100 miles closer, so if I could get close to 350-400 miles per charge it might make me start thinking about getting one to replace my G37 coupe.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Do you think you would see much of a range increase if you dropped speed down to 70-ish? At both 70 and 80mph what is the predicted range from a full charge? One reason I've stayed away from BEV is because of going to my dad's, and it being 500 miles each way. But he's moving about 100 miles closer, so if I could get close to 350-400 miles per charge it might make me start thinking about getting one to replace my G37 coupe.

Like Stinkstar said; speed is the killer; at 400 miles doing 80 or so you’ll need to charge twice on the way up there, and have charging available at his house and/or top off at a supercharger nearby.

That being said, stopping twice for about 20 minutes each time is REALLY not that impactful, and frankly I feel is healthy.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Like Stinkstar said; speed is the killer; at 400 miles doing 80 or so you’ll need to charge twice on the way up there, and have charging available at his house and/or top off at a supercharger nearby.

That being said, stopping twice for about 20 minutes each time is REALLY not that impactful, and frankly I feel is healthy.
Also worth mentioning, car will auto re-calculate supercharger stops in route if it feels it’s too bold based on your driving.

Cleans up nice :)

D0995FDC-3D22-4252-8D27-288C02C42451.jpeg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
About 4 months in now;

$117/ $4.72 = 24.79 gallons of fuel to go 900 miles

1656346940556.png

900/24.79 = 36mpg in a car.

interesting.

50 minute stop would pisss me the fuck off... fuck a 20 minute stop every 200 miles would but all ya'll keep defending it.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Ty
$117/ $4.72 = 24.79 gallons of fuel to go 900 miles

View attachment 124463

900/24.79 = 36mpg in a car.

interesting.

50 minute stop would pisss me the fuck off... fuck a 20 minute stop every 200 miles would but all ya'll keep defending it.

No surprises about that math; 80mph is cooking along, and super chargers are about enabling long trips, not about saving money.

Charging at home with mixed driving equals out ~100-125mpg when comparing to gas costs (which is the EPA MPGe calculation that’s common for EVs)

Also any car that gets 36mpg on 87oct is an appliance at best, so again, sounds about right.

As far as defending stops, I cannot recall, do you have a kid?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ty

No surprises about that math; 80mph is cooking along, and super chargers are about enabling long trips, not about saving money.

Charging at home with mixed driving equals out ~100-125mpg when comparing to gas costs (which is the EPA MPGe calculation that’s common for EVs)

Also any car that gets 36mpg on 87oct is an appliance at best, so again, sounds about right.

As far as defending stops, I cannot recall, do you have a kid?

i have two kids.

36mpg isn't hard to come by HWY and isn't this an appliance at best also?

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I just drove from Dubuque to Woodstock at 210 watthours a mile average. Was going 80+ for most of the trip on rt20. So call that 4.75 miles per kilowatt (It’s actually slightly better). It’s 125 miles so divide by 4.75 and that leaves 26.31 kilowatts for the trip. I recharge at $12c a kilowatt so that trip cost me $3.15. How far can your 36mpg theoretical car go on less than 1 gallon of gas?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I just drove from Dubuque to Woodstock at 210 watthours a mile average. Was going 80+ for most of the trip on rt20. So call that 4.75 miles per kilowatt (It’s actually slightly better). It’s 125 miles so divide by 4.75 and that leaves 26.31 kilowatts for the trip. I recharge at $12c a kilowatt so that trip cost me $3.15. How far can your 36mpg theoretical car go on less than 1 gallon of gas?

...probably less than 36 miles id guess.

Nba Playoffs Reaction GIF by NBA

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
calculating the hangover GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Closing in on 7 months; still zero regrets; still hate that the Uber Turbines are curb magnets, and still not willing to drop $3,000 on new wheels.

The hatch feels like it closes a little “hard” at times at the end of its travel; but no weird wear marks or indicators that anything’s wrong. I no longer charge daily out and can now notice the power drop when it drops below like 50%, but that’s expected and only noticed at full throttle.

8,200 miles on it so far, still feels as tight and as fast as the day I bought it, no rattles, no creeks, nada.

I REALLY think the bad wrap these cars get “quality wise” are from people being stupid about a car that doesn’t have engine noise; once a month I think the car has a rattle and I discover something rolling around the floor or in a door pocket that’s making the noise because there is just nothing else in the cabin.

As far as panel alignment gaps, I did notice the trim below the passenger rear door is slightly more “inset” than driver side, but that very well could have been my daughter stepping on it or something. Otherwise my model Y had nothing notable gap wise, and nothing has “developed” outside of the observation on the hatch.

Reactions: blue-sun

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
11,000 miles and counting; another road-trip in the books (St.Louis and back for a Concert over Halloween weekend).

As mentioned already, the Math is unimpressive when Supercharging on road trips, Comparable to if I was using a gas car that got ~60mpg, but I have little remorse for hypermiling and did 75-80 the entire way.

Still dead solid, still hauls ass, wheels still suck.

As we roll into colder weather I expect to see significant range hits, but the updates over the past year of ownership have released LOTS of things that will help offset winter related issues;

1) Remote Door Pop incase the handle freezes
2) Blended Brakes into Regen when the car is cold with one foot driving
3) Scheduled Departure enhancements (Car pre-heats while still on shore power).

Our Model 3 has a bit over 3,000 miles on it now mostly on Turo rentals, and we just noticed yesterday that the visor mirror lights are Inop on both sides, so I'm going to ask the Tech to address my pass rear door alignment when they come out to deal with that. The 3 ride quality is significantly better with the 18 inch wheels, I'm looking forward to finishing burning up the all seasons on my Y for the excuse to order a 19 inch set with more compliant rubber.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I REALLY think the bad wrap these cars get “quality wise” are from people being stupid about a car that doesn’t have engine noise; once a month I think the car has a rattle and I discover something rolling around the floor or in a door pocket that’s making the noise because there is just nothing else in the cabin.

I can't imagine how you wouldn't hear everything in one. To the point of it being creepy almost. I am surprised they didn't try to get some form of background noise piped in even at a low level. It will be interesting when people retrofit muscle cars; Wouldn't surprise me if most had noise generators put in them because of this.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I can't imagine how you wouldn't hear everything in one. To the point of it being creepy almost. I am surprised they didn't try to get some form of background noise piped in even at a low level. It will be interesting when people retrofit muscle cars; Wouldn't surprise me if most had noise generators put in them because of this.
Both mine have Dual pane glass and the Y has a decent amount of insulation, road noise and motor noise are perfectly satisfactory. My Expedition is much more muted than either of them, but the Subaru is noticeably worse.

That being said, the audio system in them is SURPRISINGLY good, they acquired a lot of talent from audio companies to do everything in house.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Cracked 12,000 miles, and got to experience the car in -7 weather;

Still no issues, still hauls ass, still does everything and more I ask of it.

Range below freezing specifically goes straight to shit (expected), and the car is dog slow if you don’t let it warm up (also expected)

But if you “start it” with the app 10-15 minutes before leaving in sub freezing weather, it drives as normal and is nice and toasty inside. (My windshield was dirty, but you catch the drift)

05EB0005-4813-4D88-9DA3-576CCCA0AE01.jpeg

1CEA7ED6-FB78-4470-B330-67271F9FBFD7.jpeg

Reactions: dpwalsh14

Thread Info