General Information

4 months later; a thing happened today.

MicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Autopilot?
It’s their “smart” cruise control; lane keep, distance keep, “0 to 0” ability (EG handles rush hour from 60mph, down to a stop, back up to 60 without you doing anything).

Works on surface streets as well, surprisingly well honestly. I did like 12 miles on Roosevelt road with it on, zero corrections to the system for the trip. Frankly never had to “correct” it ever in the past 2 weeks, and I use the feature daily.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
It’s their “smart” cruise control; lane keep, distance keep, “0 to 0” ability (EG handles rush hour from 60mph, down to a stop, back up to 60 without you doing anything).

Works on surface streets as well, surprisingly well honestly. I did like 12 miles on Roosevelt road with it on, zero corrections to the system for the trip. Frankly never had to “correct” it ever in the past 2 weeks, and I use the feature daily.
I just drove from my street to Dubuque IA completely on autopilot and the only manual control I inputted was pulling into McDonald’s for food and stopping to take a piss at a gas station And I had to manually accelerate to help a merge one time.

• Haha
Reactions: Dasfinc

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
1 Month in impressions:

Drove both the Expedition and Subaru for the first time in weeks this week, and I confess it makes both feel Archaic....

$58 in energy costs outside of a Supercharger stop; where I'd normally have spent ~$450 in fuel for the Expedition at $5 a gallon @12mpg for the same distance traveled so the math is very real there.

The throttle response and power continue to be delightful, it's like driving a slotcar on the street.

While I've seen some occasional 'weird bugs' (like I cannot answer a call while a rear passenger is unbuckled because the buckle notification is over where I'd answer the call instead of stacked), I will say overwhelmingly my experience with the user interface has been positive. Easy to use, intuitive, and the ONLY thing that I'm annoyed "Doesn't have a button" is the glovebox; otherwise I can't say I care at all.

It continues to feel revolutionary and 'crisp' every day, I'm not regretting making the jump to EV Ownership, it is without a doubt delivering what they promise.

THAT ALL BEING SAID; Part of me wishes I had bought the cheapest model 3 instead of the dual motor Y Performance....

Charging to 80% daily "Feels weird", although I get why, but the fact that the LFP Battery in the standard range model 3 "Likes" to be charged to 100% means that "My $20,000 more expensive Model Y has the same nominal range on a daily basis as a standard range model 3". This may not make sense without some more reading, but the short version is "You are supposed to only charge the Dual Motor and Performance Model 3 and Model Y cars to 80% as charging repeatedly to 100% can damage the battery/shorten its life, while it is RECOMMENDED to charge the LFP (Iron Based instead of Nickel) Battery to 100% every time you charge it. So every morning my car has somewhere around 240 miles of range (Because I charge it to 80% as they recommend), while the standard range Model 3 would have nearly 280.

The Standard range model 3 cannot charge as quickly as mine, is heavier, slower by a fair margin, but "Is the extra performance and extra space in the Y Performance Vs. a standard 3 worth $20,000" considering they are basically identical with the exception of the dramatic speed difference and the extra hatch/rear leg space afforded by the MYP.

Sorry for the brief 'rant' on that topic, and since they've raised prices dramatically across the lineup since I purchased my car, it's basically made it so that "I could sell it tomorrow at a profit", which is just insane... I may have also ordered a standard range model 3 before all the recent price increases............ So I may get to make that decision again in July/August....

TL;DR -

I'm excited for the EV Revolution; although I miss my Vroom Vroom noises.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
i had 2 mobile ranger visits. One to install homelink (a must have feature to auto open the door when you get near the house), and I had a foggy tail lamp replaced. Couldn’t be more happy with the mobile service.

as for your weird quirk about the message on the screen covering the phone, I just got a software update (2022.4.5.15) that fixes that issue. You can now swipe down on the seatbelt message or any other message to get to what’s behind it. I had the same issue with the blind spot cameras. I would be in a left turn lane stopped waiting for a green light and couldn’t answer the phone on the screen (still could on the phone). But either way it’s fixed now

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
Congrats on the new ride!! Here is a button for your glove box.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I’m gonna be honest, I probably open my glovebox 2x a year. Once to put a new insurance card in and once to get the screen cleaning cloth. All the fuss about needing to press 2 buttons instead of 1 to open the glove box is pretty overblown
My grievance on it is “the circumstance where I may need to get to the glovebox for AAA card or insurance or registration is a time where the car may be In-Op”

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
2 Months in;

I love “waking up to a full tank”, not needing to stop at gas stations has become noticeable. Miss Esa Miss Esa has no excuse to leave it empty in the driveway for me to have to deal with filling it unless she is deliberately being a horrible person.

They added Headed Windshield Wiper park via SW Update just in time for winter to end… I’m annoyed that the timing was shit, but hugely happy that my car has had yet another feature added after delivery.

I’m going to have to order a square tire/wheel setup, Theresa and I have both already demolished both passenger side rims on curbs and potholes since there is no tire sidewall protection on this nutty 21 inch “Uber Turbines”

I ordered a Blue Model 3 Standard Range 3 days before the latest round of price increases, so it will arrive after the July 1 cut off for the $4,000 IL Tax rebate for the pre-increase price. No idea what we will do with it wt the moment, maybe Turo, maybe Trade in the Y, maybe sell one of the other cars? All I know is we will have options. The 80% daily charge thing I admit annoys me pretty endlessly, although I straight up acknowledge its an OCD thing.

Back to the prior post, the speed is intoxicating still, I let my buddy take the jump in Mexico with his 2019 Mustang GT, and I was at like 60% charge and well….

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I’ve actually been thinking of trading my 3 for a performance Y. Of course id wait for a Texas built 4680 version, but 80k is just too much for a non S or X Tesla. The $4000 helps but not sure if it’s enough
Honestly, the more I thought about it, the more happy that I got a Cali built car. Im very curious about the whole Structural pack thing Over the 4680s. So if one battery fails, do you get a new car? Are they individually serviceable now so a dead cell can be fixed for $1,000 instead of $10,000? Does SW just stop using that single cell because the controller is smart enough?

Im REALLY Hoping to see a Sandy Munro break-down of one of them.

Also, I’m VERY smug that I ordered mine in November at $64k before everything went to the moon.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I’ve actually been thinking of trading my 3 for a performance Y. Of course id wait for a Texas built 4680 version, but 80k is just too much for a non S or X Tesla. The $4000 helps but not sure if it’s enough
Did you do the acceleration boost upgrade? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a LR to take advantage of the $4K tax credit after July 1st.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Did you do the acceleration boost upgrade? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a LR to take advantage of the $4K tax credit after July 1st.

I'm of the opinion to buy the standard range for the 100% Daily charge, or a Performance to "just go all out". Hence why I basically bought both. I think the pricing of the dual motor is not competitive at the moment. If the Federal 7500 came back, then I'd say dual motor as the price puts it below the last draft of the sedan "cap" if you're talking Model 3.

80% of the "Dual Motor Long Range Model 3" which is where you'd be charging daily is 267 miles.

100% of the "Standard Range Model 3" which is where you'd be charging daily is 267 miles.

The regular Dual Motor is $9,000 more currently, and at the end of the day the only tangible difference is the 0-60 going from "decently quick" at 5.8 seconds to "Fast" at 4.2 seconds Vs. "Blistering" at 3.1 seconds for $16,000 more.

The interior and exterior are the same between the Long Range and standard range, and the driving dynamics are VERY similar 99% of the time between all 3 models.

I don't regret buying the MYP at the price I ordered it at back in November, and the interest rates I got in Feb, but I would not make the same decision today that I made back then (Given Price increases, delivery schedules, and interest rate trends).

Given that Ford closed orders for the Mach-E currently, I'd probably be looking at the Polestar or Subaru options to leverage the current Fed incentive and delivery timing such that you could leverage the state incentive also if "I was shopping again today".

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I'm of the opinion to buy the standard range for the 100% Daily charge, or a Performance to "just go all out". Hence why I basically bought both. I think the pricing of the dual motor is not competitive at the moment. If the Federal 7500 came back, then I'd say dual motor as the price puts it below the last draft of the sedan "cap" if you're talking Model 3.

80% of the "Dual Motor Long Range Model 3" which is where you'd be charging daily is 267 miles.

100% of the "Standard Range Model 3" which is where you'd be charging daily is 267 miles.

The regular Dual Motor is $9,000 more currently, and at the end of the day the only tangible difference is the 0-60 going from "decently quick" at 5.8 seconds to "Fast" at 4.2 seconds Vs. "Blistering" at 3.1 seconds for $16,000 more.

The interior and exterior are the same between the Long Range and standard range, and the driving dynamics are VERY similar 99% of the time between all 3 models.

I don't regret buying the MYP at the price I ordered it at back in November, and the interest rates I got in Feb, but I would not make the same decision today that I made back then (Given Price increases, delivery schedules, and interest rate trends).

Given that Ford closed orders for the Mach-E currently, I'd probably be looking at the Polestar or Subaru options to leverage the current Fed incentive and delivery timing such that you could leverage the state incentive also if "I was shopping again today".
Iirc the standard range doesn’t have all the same functions on the infotainment system. And the supercharging is slower

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I haven’t yet. I bought some Tesla stock right when I got the car saying I’d sell the profits to get the accel boost but the stock did so good that I’ve just been Hodling the shit out of it and I have FOMO about selling any.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I know Supercharging was marginally slower; but my understanding is that Feature/Content wise is identical. What did you hear is different on the Infotainment?
I may be thinking of the old $35k standard standard minus package, but they didn’t have satellite view maps even available.

Also only supercharging up to 170kw is substantially slower than 250kw. And I’m expecting a speed upgrade in the future for the nickel based packs in the future

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I may be thinking of the old $35k standard standard minus package, but they didn’t have satellite view maps even available.

Also only supercharging up to 170kw is substantially slower than 250kw. And I’m expecting a speed upgrade in the future for the nickel based packs in the future
Content wise they standardized everything to sanction the cost increases, so its 100% the same car as the dual motor content wise with the exception of the battery composition and the front motor (so heated seats front and rear and steering wheel, same UI, auto dimming exterior and interior mirrors, power trunk lid, etc, etc.

100% supercharging is substantially slower; but as a Multi-Car family still, as a second car, I see zero drawbacks, and mostly "Pros" from a daily/monthly usage point of view. When it arrives I'll figure out if we are going to keep both or not, rates may impact that decision anyways since I'm at 1.24% on my MYP.

Side-Note, Toyota/Subaru's offerings that are being released now charge at like ~150kw max also, which was a HUGE surprise honestly considering "everyone else offers faster options", even Kia/Hyundai.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Content wise they standardized everything to sanction the cost increases, so its 100% the same car as the dual motor content wise with the exception of the battery composition and the front motor (so heated seats front and rear and steering wheel, same UI, auto dimming exterior and interior mirrors, power trunk lid, etc, etc.

100% supercharging is substantially slower; but as a Multi-Car family still, as a second car, I see zero drawbacks, and mostly "Pros" from a daily/monthly usage point of view. When it arrives I'll figure out if we are going to keep both or not, rates may impact that decision anyways since I'm at 1.24% on my MYP.

Side-Note, Toyota/Subaru's offerings that are being released now charge at like ~150kw max also, which was a HUGE surprise honestly considering "everyone else offers faster options", even Kia/Hyundai.
Everybody except the new Bolt at 55kw lol.

I really like that Ioniq5 too. If I wasn’t a Tesla nut hugger I’d be all over it

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I have the exact copy of Dasfinc's Perf Y coming in 30 days. Going to add
  • 19 Wheels
  • 10" Hansshow dash
  • Power Frunk kit
  • Self presenting door handles
  • Cooled Seats!!
Going to drive that for a couple of years and then hand off to the wife when the Rivian is ready. I am locked in on the lower price for a quad motor/max pack R1T.

I’m going to get 20 inch T Sport wheels I think this year…. I really don’t think you will care about the dash after driving it for a bit, I cannot say I care about it missing at all!

Thread Info