Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
HBO Orders Televangelists Pilot Staring John Goodman, Danny McBride

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Danny McBride will write, executive produce, direct, and star in The Righteous Gemstones, a new half hour comedy about “a world-famous televangelist family with a long tradition of deviance, greed and charitable work, all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ” for HBO. If picked up, this would mark the third HBO comedy for McBride, following the success of Eastbound and Down and Vice Principals.

The Righteous Gemstones will also star John Goodman, who will play Eli Gemstone, a stern, world-famous televangelist known for his weekly television show, global ministries and aggressive salvation techniques. McBride will play his eldest son Jesse, a man looking to branch out on his own by adapting his father’s famous teachings for a modern audience.

Deadline reports that should HBO pick up the series after the pilot is filmed, Goodman will wait until production is finished on The Connors, the Roseanne Barr-less spinoff series, before continuing filming The Righteous Gemstones with McBride.

SHOmuff

Doing the damn thing.
Oct 22, 2007
Wheaton
I love Kenny Powers. When I first watched Eastbound & Down, I had never seen a character like that before. He was funny, unexpected and original. Now that Danny McBride plays almost the same character in every TV show/movie, it takes away from the charm of Kenny Powers and what made that character so great.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info