NEW RIDE Dad Van Acquired

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I've heard there were quite a few problems with the recent Odysseys' with the 9 speed. They are all 10spd now though and I think those are pretty awesome from what I've heard.
I was wrong in my post, the Elites and Elite Touring had the 10 speed in 2018. If you keep eco mode turned off the transmission is great. With eco mode on it just fights you to not downshift. Also the paddles for downshifting work great and if you say drop it down to 2nd or 3rd as you come into the apex of a turn it holds real nice for acceleration out of the turn.

The only other real issue to watch on the Odysseys seems to be related to VCM (variable cylinder management). There was more of an issue in the previous generation where there were some instances of oil use similar to the issues LS powered cars had with the AFM. People make a little thing called a muzzler that basically alters a coolant temp sensor value that is only used to determine if the car should go into cylinder deactivation.
1630591249883.png

To be clear I am used to mostly older 4 speed autos from the mid to early 2000's so anything is a huge leap forward.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Reactions: EmersonHart13

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Just got done driving 10 hours today with the family.

1655948766547.png

Trip from Palatine ->New York (wifes family to drop off kids)-> Philadelphia (wedding)-> New York (pick kids back up-> Middle of nowhere Pennsylvania ->Chicago. Was getting 27.8 mpg until the wife started driving.

Other than an alternator I have had to replace so far this thing has been a champ. Had the trans flushed 10k miles ago.

Thread Info