Dad gets death sentence for killing his kids

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Another POS dad/human being...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jury-soon-decide-father-gets-050456097.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina father was sentenced to death Thursday for killing his five children with his own hands. After they were dead, he drove around with their bodies for nine days before dumping them in garbage bags on the side of an Alabama dirt road.

Timothy Jones Jr. showed no emotion as the jury delivered the verdict after less than two hours of deliberation. They also could have sentenced him to life without parole.

The same Lexington County jury convicted Jones of five counts of murder last week in the deaths of his children, ages 1 to 8, in their Lexington home in August 2014.

Prosecutors pushed for a death sentence. Solicitor Rock Hubbard told jurors in his closing argument earlier Thursday that if any jurors had doubts whether Jones deserved the death penalty, all they had to do is consider the five garbage bags where he dumped their bodies in rural Alabama.

But a lawyer for Jones told jurors they alone could show mercy — if not for a father who killed five kids with his own hands, then for a family that has seen so much death and still wants to love Jones, even through prison bars.

Jones' father hung his head in his hands as the verdict was read and other family members appeared to cry.

Jones is just the second person to be sent to South Carolina's death row in five years. The state has not executed anyone since 2011 and lacks the drugs to carry out lethal injection.

Hubbard began his closing argument by asking if the jurors had ever heard of a crime more horrendous than what they had listened to over four weeks of testimony.

Jones, 37, has been selfish all his life, trying to break up his father's second marriage because he wasn't getting enough attention and controlling his wife's every decision, Hubbard said.

When his wife left him, Hubbard said, Jones couldn't stand that his control was over. With custody of his children, the computer engineer with an $80,000-a-year job mistreated any of them who showed any intention of wanting to be with their mother instead of him, Hubbard said.

Jones first killed 6-year-old son Nahtahn in a "white hot rage" after the boy confessed on the phone to his mother — but not to his father — to breaking an electrical outlet, Hubbard said.

Over the next several hours, Jones went and got cigarettes, taking his oldest daughter so she wouldn't call for help, and leaving the three other kids with their brother's body.

Then he made a decision, just like the one the jury was called upon to make, the prosecutor said.

"He sentenced his kids to death," Hubbard said.

In a confession, Jones said he strangled 7-year-old Elias with his hands and chased down 8-year-old Merah before choking her. He then used a belt to choke 2-year-old Gabriel and 1-year-old Abigail because he said his hands were too big.

That deserved death and not life, Hubbard said.

A life sentence "is just send Timmy to his room, make him think about what he has done" Hubbard said.

After killing the children, Jones loaded their bodies into his SUV and drove around the Southeast U.S. for nine days before dumping them in five black garbage bags on a dirt road near Camden, Alabama. He was arrested hours later after an officer at a traffic checkpoint in Smith County, Mississippi, said he smelled a horrible odor of decomposition.

Hubbard ended his closing argument with those bags. Prosecutors entered photos showing what was inside the bags into evidence, but didn't show them to the jury. Jurors could have chosen to look at them during deliberations if they wanted.

"If you have any doubt for the appropriate sentence for that man, look in the bag!" Hubbard said.

The defense focused on what his lawyers called undiagnosed schizophrenia made worse by drug and alcohol use. Jurors last week rejected their arguments that Jones was not guilty by reason of insanity or guilty but mentally ill.

During his closing argument Thursday, defense lawyer Casey Secor instead focused on how much Jones is loved by his family even after the killings. His grandmother, father and siblings all asked jurors to spare his life .

"How much more death does the Jones family have to endure? How many more funerals does this family have to go to? How many more tears do they have to shed? How much more heartache to they have to endure?" Secor said.

The children's mother also said she wouldn't choose the death penalty for Jones because she's against capital punishment, but would respect the jury's decision.

Secor said under the law, any juror could decide on life for any reason or for no reason at all.

"You can punish Tim severely with a punishment of life in prison without the possibility of parole and be merciful to the people who still love these children," Secor said.
It's assholes like this that I wish I could choke...

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Fuck me, to think this guy doesn’t deserve the worst punishment is unbelievable. I get he’s someone’s son but what a monster.

I think he’d have a death sentence either way.

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
This is why there NEEDS to be a death penalty option. No punishment could ever be fit for something like this....other than death!

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Sentenced him to death, but doesn't have the means to execute. So it's symbolic?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
It's fucking sick that someone could do that to anyone, especially their own kids. The death penalty is letting him off too easy. I can't believe there were no warning signs...or they were just ignored. How does someone suddenly snap like that without any warning?

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
People say civilized nations shouldn't have capital punishment.

But, how do you reconcile that belief with cases like this? Fuck

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Yep...just as sick! An absolute insult to justice a shitbag like that was not executed!
Shanann’s mother, Sandra Rzucek, thanked law enforcement and prosecutors for their “exceptional work” on the case and after admonishing Watts for breaking theirs and Shanann’s trust, acknowledged that she and the rest of the family had asked prosecutors not to seek the death penalty for Watts – a request that was granted by prosecutors.
Sounds like the victim's family asked for no death penalty, and it wasn't a jury or judge that denied it...

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I truly think a life time prison sentence is a worse punishment but I think some people should just not live. The world is far better off without a monster that shows zero remorse for what’s been done especially stretched over that time frame and the scenario that played out (which was hard to read).

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Maybe they wanted him to live every day with the guilt (If he has any). My point is he deserves to be put down.
With any luck, some fellow inmate will dispense that justice from within prison

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
He'll still sit in a cell for 25 years, at a mere cost of 65k a year to Joe Blow taxpayer...
That's still way less than sentencing him to death

FINANCIAL FACTS ABOUT THE DEATH PENALTY • Defense costs for death penalty trials in Kansas averaged about $400,000 per case, compared to $100,000 per case when the death penalty was not sought. (Kansas Judicial Council, 2014). • A new study in California revealed that the cost of the death penalty in the state has been over $4 billion since 1978. Study considered pre-trial and trial costs, costs of automatic appeals and state habeas corpus petitions, costs of federal habeas corpus appeals, and costs of incarceration on death row. (Alarcon & Mitchell, 2011). • In Maryland, an average death penalty case resulting in a death sentence costs approximately $3 million. The eventual costs to Maryland taxpayers for cases pursued 1978-1999 will be $186 million. Five executions have resulted. (Urban Institute, 2008). • Enforcing the death penalty costs Florida $51 million a year above what it would cost to punish all first-degree murderers with life in prison without parole. Based on the 44 executions Florida had carried out since 1976, that amounts to a cost of $24 million for each execution. (Palm Beach Post, January 4, 2000). • The most comprehensive study in the country found that the death penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the costs of sentencing murderers to life imprisonment. The majority of those costs occur at the trial level. (Duke University, May 1993). • In Texas, a death penalty case costs an average of $2.3 million, about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years. (Dallas Morning News, March 8, 1992).

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Incoming "bullet only cost $0.25" or whatever these idiots says.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
That's still way less than sentencing him to death
So I have to ask you, why?

Is it because of the appeals process?

Is it because of the type of trial required to pursue the death penalty costs that much?

The amount of man power?

A jury of his peers, 12 separate, individual, unique people, said "kill him". Done, close up shop at EOB, take all the death penalties out back, and

Incoming "bullet only cost $0.25" or whatever these idiots says.
25 cent bullet to the head.

Simple process, really.

I forgot, we have more compassion for criminals than we do their victims.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Their victims are dead. Very often their families don't want the death penalty, as shown in both of the cases referenced here.

It's always easy to sit online and say shit like "kill those fuckers" but a whole lot different when you're close to it.

The person who passes the sentence should carry out the punishment. How many executions you think we'd have then?

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Awful human being, wish I did not read this story.

To his kids, RIP, prayers to their friends and family

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Their victims are dead. Very often their families don't want the death penalty, as shown in both of the cases referenced here.

It's always easy to sit online and say shit like "kill those fuckers" but a whole lot different when you're close to it.

The person who passes the sentence should carry out the punishment. How many executions you think we'd have then?
I think you have two reasons for a death penalty. Punishment and as a deterrent. I wish executions were in a public square and televised.

I think more people than you think would push the button or shoot the criminal or whatever.

Somebody kills my innocent family members, I'm not going to be concerned about their tough past life.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
I think you have two reasons for a death penalty. Punishment and as a deterrent. I wish executions were in a public square and televised.

I think more people than you think would push the button or shoot the criminal or whatever.

Somebody kills my innocent family members, I'm not going to be concerned about their tough past life.
It's been very well established that severity of punishment is not effective as a deterrent, by any measure.

No, they wouldn't. Jurors aren't family members or connected at all, for a reason.

OP
CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Regardless, a throat for a throat I say.

I propose people standing in a line to the right, each person gets to choke him until he's about to pass out, then stop and let the next person in line step up to the plate and repeat...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
It's been very well established that severity of punishment is not effective as a deterrent, by any measure.

No, they wouldn't. Jurors aren't family members or connected at all, for a reason.
Killing a criminal in a non televised room with a few people watching is no deterrent.

Chopping someone's head off in a square full of people and on TV? That might work better.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Killing a criminal in a non televised room with a few people watching is no deterrent.

Chopping someone's head off in a square full of people and on TV? That might work better.
The dude getting killed doesn't gaf if it's televised. He's getting killed either way. You think this dude that killed his 5 kids stopped and thought "this is worth it, since I'll only get life in prison". Stop it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom