WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
2019 Dodge Charger Scatpack.
My CV boots on both of my rear axles failed after I put in a new set of coilovers on my car and some new control arms in the rear. They basically failed immediately. I’m not sure how or why because the ride height of the coil overs were set to basically the same height as the springs and the control arms were set to the same length as the stock ones I removed. The geometry should be the same as before but now I have these boots tearing off or rubbing.
I took this video after I picked the car up from dodge, they said the sound was actually the rotor backing plate rubbing a little (no biggie). I took it back up there and they just called back after looking at it and don’t know what’s going on.

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
Strange, all my Chargers have been lowered and I drive my cars very hard. Albeit I don’t do those road courses like you.

I know, and these things are failing with the new parts and the only trip the car has been on is to the dealer.
Just can’t think of what would be causing the problem cause all the geometry should be the same.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
vid no worky.

if its the ridgid flexible thermoplastic boots/bellows those are very prone to pinches/damage at the peaks of the ribs where it flexes in just a small area. just a casual knocking of em against something can split the plasti there.

the OEM's put a ton of grease in em and a hot drive with it sitting overnight will have one side of the cv boot way heavier than the other, so the boot/bellows ends up with a heavier area that at 75mph means about 20lbs of force is pushing grease through a tiny split or causing rubbing. i havent seen actual rubber/viton boots on a cv in a while.....i think they are all the plastics who knows though with fiat

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
vid no worky.

if its the ridgid flexible thermoplastic boots/bellows those are very prone to pinches/damage at the peaks of the ribs where it flexes in just a small area. just a casual knocking of em against something can split the plasti there.

the OEM's put a ton of grease in em and a hot drive with it sitting overnight will have one side of the cv boot way heavier than the other, so the boot/bellows ends up with a heavier area that at 75mph means about 20lbs of force is pushing grease through a tiny split or causing rubbing. i havent seen actual rubber/viton boots on a cv in a while.....i think they are all the plastics who knows though with fiat

Fixed the link, I think....
The first boot tore close to the hub, not on a rib.
Not sure what happened with the new axel they put on as I took it right back to the dealer. Here is a pic of the first failure.
IMG_2300.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
oh crap those are the swadged on aluminum bands arent they?

fast as hell to manufacture, not that strong or durable, they can easily be damaged from the same knocking around during service, just a small flatspot/dent can give it wiggle room....that and the wide clamp area means it doesnt conform to the retaining groove nearly as well as a narrow strap clamp

bring a couple napa/other stianless strap clamps and install tool/winch and have the dealer put proper clamps on them, dont let them put any new or additional grease in there...if anything have em take one or two finger dollops OUT of the boot before slipping it back on and reclamping with the winch tool.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
The problem is that the whole axle is usually inside a box and as it gets tossed around those flat aluminum band clamps get a f*** ton of flat spots in them and then they pop off.

It's really just a shity idea using the swaged on aluminum bands but it's cheap and fast and that's really all they care about anymore....

The boots likely aren't the problem. since it's probably really easy to get to it's probably easiest for you to just use side Cutters and cut the aluminum and put a spiral band clamp on there...

Thread Info