CV boot kaput

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Was changing oil this evening and noticed excess grease on driver's side outer boot. Sure enough fucker was done...
Can I just replace the boot or do I need new half shaft? Never dealt with this crap before...
Thanks!

oBqy8K2.jpg

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Id just replace the CV parts are cheap and piece of mine for me IMO.

Never had issues with A1Cardone remans from Oreeeeeeeeellly's LOL!

Edit. If your doing the whole CV take the old one off then bring it in and exchange core at the store. Then you wont have to eat the core cost, or make a 2nd trip.

Obviously wont be able to use this vehicle to fetch parts though LOL.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
If stock, any mid grade axle will be fine. If modded I'd get a take off stocker (if they still exist).

Changing a boot is a pain in the dick vs just replacing the entire cv axle.

I've changed axles on plenty of cars, can't recall if the 4l65e will leak fluid out of the hole for the cv or not. I feel like it doesn't but I'm sure someone else will chime in on that. I usually use a pry bar to pop the axle out because of that darn c clip.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
If stock, any mid grade axle will be fine. If modded I'd get a take off stocker (if they still exist).

Changing a boot is a pain in the dick vs just replacing the entire cv axle.

I've changed axles on plenty of cars, can't recall if the 4l65e will leak fluid out of the hole for the cv or not. I feel like it doesn't but I'm sure someone else will chime in on that. I usually use a pry bar to pop the axle out because of that darn c clip.

4l65e :rofl: its FWD pal. (just returning the favor from the other thread)

You mean 4t65. and yes it will leak unless you jack up just the side your working on and leave the other side tires on the ground. Then you shouldn't have to worry about leaking any fluid out.:smile:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
4l65e :rofl: its FWD pal. (just returning the favor from the other thread)

You mean 4t65. and yes it will leak unless you jack up just the side your working on and leave the other side tires on the ground. Then you shouldn't have to worry about leaking any fluid out.:smile:
I haven't had one in like 8-9 years, info is foggy.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I've noticed some people don't even take rotor/caliper off to pull it out. Is that doable or do I need to take few things off first?

I suppose it wouldn't be impossible, but I didn't have really any issues. And removing the brakes doesn't take that long. I think I took everything off, but left the caliper/pads and bracket together. My junk with little rust took 1/3 of the time than my sister in law's 08 Versa to do the same thing. What a pain in the dick that was.

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
I wasn't trying to say that the aftermarket new/rebuilt ones can't hold power.

The issue is in the quality of the replacement components, such as machining quality and tolerances and materials. The last time I took apart a rebuilt axle the inner tripod cup had been machined to smooth out the wear points - and of course the tripod rollers had backlash because of that.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
buy a grease gun and grease from harbor freight, jam end of hose into outboard part of boot through opening and pump it 20 times, finish oil change, wait till in junkyard and you can get a whole axle/bearing for 50$

make sure to get the newer style "hard plastic" outer boot

sold the intrepid with roached cv's that I had been pumping with grease twice a year for 7 years/winters and 45k

the grease on the control arm/unibody prevent rust

your welcome

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
Don't know where you're getting your C/V boots - Dorman? Regardless, you could literally use loctite pl-s30 to glue the original boot back together without pulling it and it would last forever..

Rockauto or Detroit Axle (call them) have what you need. At most $15 per boot.

In case you didn't catch on , stay the fuck away from "new" shit from China. Nothing is as chinsey as an $80 axle - even Dorman boots. If the new axle isn't a $250 ACDelco OEM then it is a piece of crap.

Again, been there, done that.. over and over again. Re-grease and re-boot; especially if your axle isn't making any noises.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info