Craigslist to start charging to post vehicles for sale.

Outlaw

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but, when going to renew one of my ads I just saw this.

Wondering if this is going to be the final nail in Craigslist's coffin. I personally haven't had shit for luck selling anything on it for well over a year. I post all the vehicles and equipment I sell to Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. Same pictures, same descriptions, same price. I can not honestly remember the last time I had a sale that wasn't off of FB Marketplace.

Hopefully this doesn't follow suit for heavy equipment. I still do have a fair share if inquiries on equipment from CL.

crooks

Donating Member
Reaction score
I listed my car on facebook and craigslist about a week ago. I had over 20 people from facebook contact me and 2 from craigslist. Shitlist is DEAD.

Outlaw

Reaction score
I listed my car on facebook and craigslist about a week ago. I had over 20 people from facebook contact me and 2 from craigslist. Shitlist is DEAD.
Yep. And both of those contacts were probably from a private marketing firm who happen to have a strong demand for vehicles like yours in their area!!!!

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
That sucks. I browse the fuck out of cl

Outlaw

Reaction score
That sucks. I browse the fuck out of cl
Same. I love doing CL searches all over the place. Marketplace you can do the same thing (if you have FB which I know you don't) but it's kind of a pain in the dick to change your geographical location all the time because it only lets you do 100 mile radius's at once.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I wonder if it will impact the scammers? Will they pony up $5 for each ad or will they go to a free platform?

If the scammers go away, CL would have a better site again. Maybe they know they're in trouble and are risking the fee or are they just greedy bastards?

Outlaw

Reaction score
I wonder if it will impact the scammers? Will they pony up $5 for each ad or will they go to a free platform?

If the scammers go away, CL would have a better site again. Maybe they know they're in trouble and are risking the fee or are they just greedy bastards?
Honestly, I don't see many scams from the phony seller side of things anymore. Most of the CL based scams/ spam calls are aimed at legitimate sellers.

Outlaw

Reaction score
I can see it going a few different ways.

1) It will be all dealer posts, as they'll end up cutting some type of deal for unlimited monthly posts

2) It will keep the garbage off the site, leaving some pretty quality shit that people are willing to pay a few bucks to post

3) It will most certainly all but wipe out the sub $1,000 beaters that show up on there that I always love searching

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Honestly, I don't see many scams from the phony seller side of things anymore. Most of the CL based scams/ spam calls are aimed at legitimate sellers.
I ran across several scammers last time I was looking for a car which was 5 years ago. Asked questions and prices dropped fast and their stories unraveled. Even the legit ads were inflated views of their cars (to be expected).

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Looks like I won't be posting vehicles for sale on there anymore.

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

I just bought a truck off there, and I'm looking for 2 more.
I'm going to guess this will hurt them more than it generates income??

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
CL has almost completely dried up for shitboxs I look at. Everything on FB now.

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
FB or offerup is my go to now.

muskie

Reaction score
What about letgo?
LetGo seems like a bigger cesspool to me than OfferUp.

Basically every OfferUp sale I've done (around 15-20) have been pretty good. Maybe 1 out of 5 people say they are coming and don't. Overall fairly positive experiences.

LetGo I seem to always get interest from these bangers that want me to deliver a $5 from Palatine to Englewood or LittleVillage

PANDA

Reaction score
While $5 is very reasonable to market and possibly sell a car for both owner and dealer it might deter the spammers who are posting dozens of cars. But its not like anyone is marketing cars on cars.com, autotrader, and ebay for free either right? I am all for $5 if it could weed out some of the junk.

I have also been selling stuff on FB marketplace with good results. You will always get the lowballers but not like I got any spammers contacting me.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
this saddens me, as i love craigslist. ive had nothing but good luck with sales off there through the years. far less scum and time wasters than FB or OU or LG. probably helps as i set up my ads in such a way they can only call me. therefore i usually only deal with serious buyers.

the other classifieds sites SUCK IMO. theyre all opening the door for people to bullshit and tip toe around the item, and then when you say something whitty back to them or piss them off with some racial slur in response to their 25% offer, you get hit with a bad review and blocked by them.

offerup and letgo have been charging to promote your listing for some time now. i still just go in there and delete them and repost to avoid the fee.

but then again facebook is super convenient opposed to CL. so idk, i just hate all the messages "is this still available", "is the price negotiable", "whats your lowest"... cant tell you how many people ive driven away from buying something from me just because theyre idiots, ill find someone that isnt a moron to deal with.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
LetGo I seem to always get interest from these bangers that want me to deliver a $5 from Palatine to Englewood or LittleVillage
do you primarily sell "tobacco related" items?

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
Donating Member
Reaction score
While $5 is very reasonable to market and possibly sell a car for both owner and dealer it might deter the spammers who are posting dozens of cars. But its not like anyone is marketing cars on cars.com, autotrader, and ebay for free either right? I am all for $5 if it could weed out some of the junk.

I have also been selling stuff on FB marketplace with good results. You will always get the lowballers but not like I got any spammers contacting me.
Last time I listed a vehicle on Cars . com it was free with up to 5 pics.
That's how I sold my Frontier :dunno:

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
With Offerup and Letgo being free, CL is fucked if they do start charging

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom