APRS Information
GMRS Information

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I did some HT antenna testing, though not too scientific. Wanted to see how a few different antennas compared to each other. I set the HT down and didn't move it, and used NOAA as the source. I wanted one of stations that was not full strength, so I could see an applicable difference...

Using a Yaesu FT5DR, which has really good sensitivity. First did the stock antenna, then a Nagoya 701 (2m/70cm, not the 701G which is GMRS), and a Signal Stick, which is 19" (VHF 1/4λ, UHF is 3/4λ). Interesting results. I knew/expected the Signal Stick would be superior to the shorter antennas, no question there. What is surprising is how poorly the stock antenna did, even compared to a $15 Nagoya.

I might try to reproduce this using my TinySA, so that I can get actual dB values. Will then come up with a testing process for TX. Since it is an HT I'll need a counterpoise as a control.

IMG_3042.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3043.jpeg

Reactions: b00sted

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I just tried the same with my FT60 for shits and giggles. A tick under S5 with the stock rubber ducky - full quieting with a 16" whip antenna I bought from somewhere years ago. Same Frequency.

In other news, I passed the General exam back on the 6th. I'm looking to get a 40m EFHW set up, similar to the one you and your buddy put together. I have 75' from the chimney to the back fence.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I just tried the same with my FT60 for shits and giggles. A tick under S5 with the stock rubber ducky - full quieting with a 16" whip antenna I bought from somewhere years ago. Same Frequency.

In other news, I passed the General exam back on the 6th. I'm looking to get a 40m EFHW set up, similar to the one you and your buddy put together. I have 75' from the chimney to the back fence.
Congratulations! You'll have a few options for the EFHW then. Can buy one, like MFJ (Mighty Fine Junk), which will come with everything. Or you can buy a kit and make one, which is what my friend did. Feed it with some LMR240 and send it.

Reactions: b00sted

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Got an EFHW balun kit and a 4:1 (dipole/inverted V) coming from Chyna. :trump:

I need to get the wire cut to length for the EFHW, probably 20M I think although 40 isn't out of the question. Have some wire already cut for the basic dipoles. I'll hook the NanoVNA to it at some point and see what it looks like.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I've heard a few different apps and websites that you can use to track the ISS, and know when you'll be in it's cone of TX/RX. I just haven't been highly motivated to look into it. Have caught them a few times, usually in the late afternoon when out for a walk.

I've been wanting to build a tracker and a yagi antenna for satellite stuff for years. There's some pretty cool software out there that will do everything - show the approaching satellites, aim the antenna, control the radio for frequency and doppler shift, etc.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
OK Boomer. I'm not saying there's no place for CW but the world has left him behind.

I just love that elitism they have:

I guess that response, however, is what we can expect from guys with little to no testing requiring little to no knowledge.

Really? Memorizing a basic set of dots and dashes is the 'true knowledge' behind radio? "You're not a true IT guy unless you memorize ROT-13! Rah!"

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
What's sad is that about 75% of the guys I hear on the radio, whether it's VHF/UHF or HF, feel the need to tell everyone how long they have been licensed. I'm not sure why, since that doesn't mean that you're smarter than anyone else, or that you're right. Most of the time they're rehashing old practices or wives tales about stuff that doesn't matter, or are passively condescending if you don't do things exactly how they say it should be.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
What's sad is that about 75% of the guys I hear on the radio, whether it's VHF/UHF or HF, feel the need to tell everyone how long they have been licensed. I'm not sure why, since that doesn't mean that you're smarter than anyone else, or that you're right. Most of the time they're rehashing old practices or wives tales about stuff that doesn't matter, or are passively condescending if you don't do things exactly how they say it should be.

Funny because I just heard two guys get in a dick measuring contest on a repeater over how long they've lived in Downers Grove. If I'm still living in a Chicago suburb even 10 years from now, I'm gonna suck-start a shotgun.

Thread Info