Reddit Cougar stalks man for 6 minutes

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Watched the lion reunion video. There's a lot in that subject to discussion both ways. I used to think human interaction with wildlife was cool until I read somewhere that if you ever see it it's due to farming of animals that will suffer a horrific end.
However I guess if you are willing to take on the responsibility of giving something a better life that already exists without having your hand in it then God bless.

if a place lets you pay and touch any big cats, there's a less than 1% chance that it is somewhere run ethically, although i know a couple. the vast majority are doing something ranging from a bit to a whole lot that is unethical. like best case scenario is the animals have shitty lives/worse than in any zoo, worst case is that as they get older/more dangerous/no money to be made from them, that they are slaughtered or sold to traffickers/as parts, or just not really wild but put out in some canned hunting group for someone to just shoot a confused animal.

LomileWE-2

Regular
Apr 1, 2020
60477 Cook
Real Name
Chuckles
if a place lets you pay and touch any big cats, there's a less than 1% chance that it is somewhere run ethically, although i know a couple. the vast majority are doing something ranging from a bit to a whole lot that is unethical. like best case scenario is the animals have shitty lives/worse than in any zoo, worst case is that as they get older/more dangerous/no money to be made from them, that they are slaughtered or sold to traffickers/as parts, or just not really wild but put out in some canned hunting group for someone to just shoot a confused animal.
The way I understand the correct way to care for wildlife in human custody is to have no contact with the animal at all unless medically necessary. Boy that's a hell of a mess there. I suppose I could do it for an animal that was abused somehow but it would be extremely difficult to accept those guidelines. It has to start with people not breeding animals in captivity.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The way I understand the correct way to care for wildlife in human custody is to have no contact with the animal at all unless medically necessary. Boy that's a hell of a mess there. I suppose I could do it for an animal that was abused somehow but it would be extremely difficult to accept those guidelines. It has to start with people not breeding animals in captivity.

with lions, they are bred for cub petting whether at the hokey traveling fair petting zoo things like you see in tiger king or the famous lion park in south africa. eventually they get old and are too dangerous around anyone but someone who actually knew them since cubs though, like they may oopsie accidentally kill a kid by that point. so they are buds with like a couple people that they could still accidentally kill [or maybe buds with nobody] but now 400 lbs, you need to feed them a ton, and they are making you little to no money. you could see in tiger king iirc that joe struggled to feed his (doubtfully done properly) and iirc also killed some too.

same goes for tigers which are often said to be drugged at places you can go pet them. i went to one place in thailand which i wouldn't go to again; another in thailand was clearly shady (maybe shut down now too) - the one i went to they just seemed to have shitty lives. some not out in the exhibit areas looked to have some kind of skin condition as i recall, the guys were around or on concrete all the time. in asia there's eastern/mythical medicines and stuff too like tiger bone wine (strengthens your bones) or tiger penis soup (gives you the virility of a tiger) etc.

cheetahs were not domesticated but were tamed by egyptians, so they are the most easy to be around humans, also the most endangered. the cubs in the wild only make it to adulthood 10 to 50% of the time, and when cubs are smuggled to some rich narcissist somewhere they die half the time. all so some rich douchebag can have one as a pet.

i think UAE made them illegal recently, and the dude in this story's lion as i recall killed some filipino maid. who in general seem to be treated pretty poorly in the middle east, although not as bad as the men [indian/pakistani] who are building all the shit out there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info