3800 Cordova 8/21/04

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Raced the car at cordova this past weekend... had some mixed results... some good some bad

first run of the day was 12.0@106 ... but I think I got off it too early because I didn't know hwo long the shutdown area was (and my brakes suck.... lil air in the lines... I couldn't even hold the car well enough to do a decent burnout... as a result I couldn't get the slicks very sticky all day) 1.69 60'

2nd run 11.8@111 on a 1.75 60'
3rd run 12.0@114 on a 1.89 60' (tried right lane, got on it hard, went towards the wall, got off and back on)
4th run 11.8@114 on a 1.77 60'
5th run 11.9@109 on a 1.63 60'

the car was all over the place in terms of MPH ... ET it stayed pretty consistent which is weird since the 60 foots sucked

I think i've narrowed it down to an ignition problem... not sure if it's plugs, wires, coil packs, injectors, or possibly the MAF

on all of the runs, after switching gears there was a period where you could feel the car not going faster... and I confirmed in my logs that for several tenths of a second the car was barely increasing RPM ... definetly didn't feel like the converter was locked... just felt like the car was struggling to increase the RPMs ... then all of a sudden it'd jump several hundred Rs and it felt like someone in back of the car gave it a good HARD kick in the ass...

but the car definetly has more in it... if I can get this ignition/fueling problem fixed car should hopefully pickup 4-5mph in the 1/4
on top of that a high 1.5 60' ... car should be going pretty well then... i hope

TALaunch082104.jpg

This was on a 1.776 second 60' ... I wish the track photographer woulda gotten my 1.63 :(

M

MeanWS6

Horist - I was having a similiar problem to your various MPH and slow 60ft's. Just a thought, but you may be having a second gear start issue like I was having. I was only cutting 1.7-1.8 60ft's like you. The PCM can cause this if you stall too high for too long or after a long burnout (common in '00 and later cars)

Car would launch, then it felt like a freight train hit ya in the ass (sorta like being on the bottle) and off you go. Almost as if it was bogging. At first I thought I had a fuel delivery issue, but this is what was causing it.

Check out my vids I posted, go to the "trans" folder and rt click, save as on the trans vids.

After 5 "built" 4l60e's, this is why I am going TH400.

Something to think about . . .hope it helps

llink to trans vids

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
I don't think I'm starting in 2nd... though that is a possibility... I can feel the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts and see them on my scanner... the poor 60 foots were mostly cause I couldn't warm my tires up... running the ET Streets at 11.5psi hot pressure, but everytime I'd try to warmem up they'd grab and push the car (with full brake applied)

the MPH variances were a combo of a few things... 1. I need to play w/fueling more... I picked up 3MPH by going 5% lean, and O2s still looked safe (should have my wideband HP Tuners soon)

Problem is I'm still 5-6mph short of what I should be... i think this is a combo of fueling and the ignition cutoff... my 1/8mile to 1/4 mile mph gains look normal (87mph to 114mph, so 27mph in the top half) but my 1/8 mile mph is way low... which makes sense cause that's when all the shifting occurs and that's when the problems occur

the joys of racing heh ... silly me thinking that if I give a company x thousand the car will run how I want it heh (not dissing the company that built my motor... just i'm finally realizing how much it costs to go fast and the probs you can run into...)

Next year I'm definetly switching to a TH400 though... I'm on my 5th 4L60E ... things just can't handle power for long...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• horist
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list