3800 Computer runs like crap

I

imported_Diavolo

I had Win 2000 and my computer ran fine for the 2 - 3 years I had it. I lost the CD and I had to reformat so I decided to put Win XP pro on it.

I got all the updates. I freshly installed everything so all drivers are new.

My computer ran fine for a while but started to run pretty slow and stuff started skipping a lot. I reinstalled Win XP (2 - 3 months ago) with a fresh reboot and things ran fine at first again. My sound card (Soundblaster Extigy) never ran well with XP, I assume because it is USB connection but ran fine with 2000. Now I can't do anything on my computer without my computer freezing for a few seconds, or the mouse going choppy.

Comp specs
p4 1.8 ghz 400 mhz fsb (overclocking it to 2.3 helped a little but I don't think it should be a problem with the 1.8)_
Asus p4b533
1024 meg 2100 DDR
128 meg all in wonder ATI Radeon 9600
400 watt power

I think that is all that matters. My computer is running plenty cool so it is not overheating.

Any suggestions? I may just wait for Windows 2003 or just try finding Win 2000 again. I ordered a 3.06 ghz 533 mhz FSB with HT processor to see if that helps.

If not, I guess AMD is the way to go.

DO NOT REPLY if you just want to say P4 sucks. (Ryan)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
That is interesting. I run XP pro on 2 computers at home with no problem. What kind of mouse is it?? If its a microsoft optical mouse, Id suggest updating the drivers, along with the ones for your sound card.

Other than updating the drivers from 2K to XP pro, I have no idea. :lolsign:

And P4s dont suck. :D

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
Couple of things..

although P4's do suck (LOL).. your computer should not be acting like that..

make sure you have all the current most up to date chipset drivers installed. That board.. I think.. uses the Intel 845E chipset.

next.. a very common error in PC building is letting the drives run in PIO mode... make sure you are running those drives in DMA mode. This allows the drives to run independent of the CPU.... in PIO mode... your drives must communicate with the bus VIA the CPU, which would explain the 100% CPU usage.

Those are the basic 2 things that will cause a computer to run like crap. If you need help, I will be more than happy to help, although I am running a bit behind.

Let me know... if these don't work.. I can prolly recommend a few other things.. but.. most likely.. these are the culprits.

John

I

imported_Diavolo

John, my Primary IDE channel is running in PIO mode, although I have selected run in DMA if avail

Secondary IDE channel is running in Multi-Word DMA mode 2 on Device 0 and Ultra DMA mode 2 on Device 1.

Will one device on my Primary IDE channel mess this up? or are both devices doing this.

Thanks
-Mike

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
most likely.. your primary running in PIO is what is giving you these problems...

check to make sure you have all chipset drivers installed.. (latest ones!!!! not the ones one the CD)

and then.. make sure you have no other device (like a cdrom) sharing that channel.. make sure S.M.A.R.T is enabled...

and another thing.. it wouldn't hurt to make sure you are using an 80 conductor cable... (40 pin, but sheilded)

Let me know.

I

imported_Diavolo

John, My 2 hd's are now on the same IDE channel (primary)

My HD with WIN XP installed (device 0) will only run in PIO and my other HD (device 1) is runnign in ultra DMA mode 2.

What is S.M.A.R.T.?

Should I just get a new HD?

I installed the newest chipset as well.

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
well.. we gotta figure out why it is running in PIO mode.. getting a new hard drive.. most likely will not fix your problem, as it is probably not a problem with the drive...

it might be a setting in your BIOS.. but.. without actually sitting in front of it.. it is hard to tell...

Call me up.. let's talk over the phone..

John

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info