3800 computer performance problem

I

imported_Diavolo

specs: 1.8ghz P4, 400 mhz fsb, 1gig ram 2200(maybe 1800?) ddr ram. 2 HD's on same IDE channel, CD-r and Zip on other IDE channel. Radeon 9800 all in wonder. WINDOWS XP pro SP2.

I don't know if anything else really matters.

My computer seems to 'freeze' for a moment when ever I run something. When I press on my windows explorer shortcut, everything will freeze for a second (mouse too) and then load up like it is supposed to. Everything will load up fast, but it always waits a second before loading. I don't really know how else to explain it. I don't know if I messed something up on my page file memory or something like that.

I had a problem before of my one HD going into PIO mode but now it stays in DMA 4.

anysuggestions? I do'nt know what other info to give so ask questions and hopefully I can solve this.

edit: I did all the easy stuff like defrag and disk cleanup too.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

You may have spyware on there causing this. Have you tried the free anti-spyware software microsoft is offering? The only recent problems I've experienced with the page file, is windows has been putting it at the end of my HD; preventing successful boot-up.

I wonder about your Bios settings, have you changed anything recently? This kind of sounds like a memory problem.

I

imported_Diavolo

I got the microsoft thing. I have been messing around with the page file some. I have my computer overclocked so I have changed the bios but I have switched it back to default. Wonder if I should change the ram back from 2.5v to 2.6v in the bios.

The last thing I want to do is format c:

edit: i was also thinking it was a memory problem

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
The reason your computer freezes.. is because there is a process, that causes 100% CPU usage.. find this process...

You can do this.. by Right clicking on the taskbar, going to Task Manager, and then going to Processes.. sort the column by CPU usage...

when the computer freezes... take note of the process name using all the resources, and report back.

John

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info