3800 computer nerds onlY!!!

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
what do you guys think of this coputer. I may be getting this for Christmas, for a college computer. and money IS an issue, I think something around this price is good enough. ~$1350

Now i dont need a monitor, soundcard, flopp, or ZIP. I have extras of those laying around. this is just kind of a extreme barebone system. Let me get your input from you higher up Computer pros. (Thal and others.) This is all from the greatest sight in the world.... www.newegg.com

CASE-Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?im...-133-105-01.JPG

Motherboard- Gigabyte Motherboard for AMD 64-bit
Processors Model - GA-K8NPRO
Specifications:
CPU: Socket 754 for AMD Athlon64 Processor
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce3 150 chipset / ITE IT8712F chip
RAM: 3x 184-pin DDR 400/333/266/200 3GB Max
IDE: 4x UDMA ATA 133/100/66 Max
RAID: GigaRAID ATA 133 RAID controller
SATA: Silicon Image sil3112A, Max 2x Devices
Expansion Slots:
- 1 x AGP (8x/4x-AGP 3.0 compliant)
- 5 x PCI slots (PCI 2.3 compliant)
Ports: 2xPS/2, 2xCOM,1xLPT,1xRJ45, 2xUSB, 2x IEEE 1394 and Audio Ports
Onboard Audio:Realtek ALC658 Audio AC'97 Codec (6-chan)
Onboard LAN: Realtek 8110S Gigabit LAN controller

Processor-AMD Athlon 64 3200+, ADA3200BOX - RETAIL, 1MB L2 Cache, 1600Mhz Bus
Specifications:
CPU: 2.0 Ghz
Type: Athlon 64
Cache: 1MB L2 Cache
FSB: Intregrated into Chip
Socket: 754
Retail Box (With Heatsink and Fan)

Memory-GEIL DDR RAM 512MB PC-3200 Value 400MHz Ultra- CAS 2.5, 2T Command With Extreme Performance Heat SpreaderGL5123200B Value. DDR400, CAS 2.5, 184 Pin Dimm, High Quality 6 Layer PCB OEM - Lifetime Warranty. High Performance at Affortable Price!!!

Video Card-TI All-In-Wonder RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DDR 8X AGP Bulk
Grab the remote and surf an unprecedented set of TV, DVD, audio and video features.
Specifications:
Chipset:RADEON 9800 PRO Visual Processing Unit (VPU)
Memory: 128MB of double data rate SDRAM
Bus: AGP 8X
Max 3D Resolution: 2048x1536 at 85h 16.7M colors
New SMARTSHADER 2.1 technology
Supports DirectX® 9.0 and the latest OpenGL® functionality
256-bit memory interface removes hardware performance bottleneck and provides end users with faster 3D graphics
Ports: DVI + S-video In/Out + CATV in (See pics for more info)
Features: TV-ON-DEMAND, Gemstar GUIDE Plus+, THRUVIEW, EAZYLOOK, MulTView.
OEM Pack

Hardrive- WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD1200JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
Specifications:
Size: 120 Gigabytes
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Seek time: 8.9ms
RPM:7200
Cache 8MB

Keyboard- Logitech BLACK Elite Keyboard - RETAIL
Features:
Stylish Ultra-flat, Zero Degree Tilt keyboard design for increased comfort
Enhanced function key commands: Nine customizable keys for one-touch access to favorite web sites and applications
iNav buttons and scroll wheel for keyboard-based web navigation
Multimedia keys to control audio and video directly from the keyboard

Mouse-Microsoft Intelli-Mouse Optical - PS2/USB Model D58-00041 - OEM Mouse Only. IntelliEye Technology. Ergonomic Design. 2 Extra Buttons. 5 Customizable Buttons. Faster Wheel Scrolling Left - or Right - Handed. *Must be Purchased with hardware!*
Specifications:
Connector: USB/PS2
Buttons: 4 button + scroll wheel
Technology: Optical

CD-RW Drive-Lite On 52x32x52 Black Color CDRW Drive LTR-52327S - OEM
SMART-BURN avoiding Buffer Under Run error, Automatically adjusting writing strategy & running OPC to provide the best burning quality
Specifications:
Speed: Writing 52X, Rewriting 32X, Reading: 52X
Interface: ATAPI/E-IDE
Supported Media: CD, CD-R & CD-RW discs (upto 99 min)
Buffer: 2mb
Access Time: 80ms (typical)
OS Support: 95 / 98 / NT / ME / XP / 2000

CD-ROM-Artec 56x IDE Black CDROM Model CSM-56B Retail The Artec CD-ROM drive series is a reliable, high performance storage solution that conforms to enhanced IDE interface
Specifications:
Transfer Rate: 2865 KB/s at 19.1X(Min) ~ 8400 KB/s at 56X (Max)
Data buffer: 128KB
IDE Host Interface: PIO 1-4, Ultra DMA 0-2, Multi-word DMA mode 0-2.
Compatibility: MS Windows XP/2000/ME/NT4/98/95/3.x, MS-DOS
Access time: Less than 120ms

Power Supply- Codegen ATX Power Supply For AMD/Intel 400W Model ATX3XX-2-RT Retail
Specifications:
Watts: 400W
Fans: Dual 80mm Fans
Support: Intel Approved and AMD Certified.
Retail box (see pictures for details)

I

imported_Ron Vogel

That's a stragely configured system. It's got all the go fast stuff, and then bottlenecks it all with ata 100, when it should have SCSI. It looks overpriced to me. You can do better with less processing power, and the 64 bit chip is a waste since it can't be really taken advantage of yet. If you do AMD, go with the Barton core (anything xp 2500 or better) so you get the faster bus speed. Then you can get the fast RAM. Go with ATA 133 interface, or SCSI 160. At least 512 meg of DDR 2700 or better. A HD of 80 to 120 gig is way plenty. Check out the barebone systems at www.tigerdirect.com

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
from personal experienece with the nfroce2, im going with the nforce 3. And i need the 64 bit processor, b/c i am keeping this computer for at least 5 yrs. You know how obsolete an athlon XP will be in 5 yrs? I already switched my hardrive to a ata 133 120gb 8mb cache maxtor. BTW by the time christmas comes, the price will be down. Ya know, as time goes on prices drop. Right now the Radeon 9800pro is $365, and the athlon 64 processor is like $400.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
the one i am on now, i will be using for a home computer if i go out of state for college. the other one i had broke. (it figures, duron crap). The good thing about having two computers, is whenever a friend comes over, we can just LAN with them online with games. My computer is becoming obsolete anyways. i mean who uses 1.6ghz computers anymore :p

Mike do you have ATA 133? When you said "get something that i have" what did you mean by that.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
A tech guy at work was telling me that there really isnt much of anything that the 64 bit AMD can run at this exact time. Go with a dell. (dont tell my work that I own one or said that. :D ) They are very reliable, and very fast. Ive had mine for 11 months and I havent seen a computer faster than mine yet owned by someone. Then again, Ive never been to ThaLords house. :lol:

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
haha, when you have been doing computers as long as me, you know NEVER to get a prebuilt one from a name company. they are ALL crap. Dells are supposed to be the best, but there is NO way it can beat a custom built. My dad has a new Dell 1.8ghz 512mb ram 60gig 8mb cache hardrive, one the hardrive gets 1/4 full, it becomes all slow. my moms 450mhz p3 is faster than his dell. And i said i was thinking of the future, when the new OS comes out which is 64-bit worthy, i am keeping this computer for AT LEAST 5 yrs.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Thats your dads 1.8. If you want, you can try my 3.06 Gig 533MHZ bus speed 512 ram. My friend and his dad build home made computers. Their best one was a 300 MHZ P2. Other ones have been crap. Besides, its the software and the cool amenitys (sp) thats the best with a Dell.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

www.ocworkbench.com

I look at it this way; who keeps a computer for 5 years? Build a decent one now that doesn't blow your budget. then in two years build a better one for half the money that is what you want now. I just bought a ECS k7s5a pro, which is a 2 year old Mobo. It only has a 266 FSB, but it was 24 bux. I've got the same thing as my home computer now. It runs well with a overclocked xp1800, this new board gets the xp2400, since that is it's ceiling. I will use it's LAN to connect the 2 at home, and run this set up for a couple of years. Prices will come down and then I'll go big. It's so funny that I have been running a 450 p3 for 5 years, and am just now doing this, but if the money's right...

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
nope, i have to keep this computer. I is going to be the least of my worries once i get to college. This is just going to be a computer that will get me through college. If i beef it up now, the less obsolete it will be when it is time to buy a new computer (after college) During college i will have better things to spend my money on :lol:

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
how much of a computer could I get for $500? thats about all I got to spend or want to spend without going to bestbuy. right now I got a 667 Celeron with 150 or so MB RAM

a 20GIG Hard drive thats almost full...lol

and a 2X Cd-burner...(NOT DVD).

I have an external Zip Drive also now.

HOw much better of a system could I get with the $500? would it be easier to upgrade this system?

I

imported_admin

hmm... I can get things real cheap from distributors, my cost on it is 55 bux.... but.. if we can find a way to meet up REAL soon.. it would be worth the extra cost, (shipping, although free, takes a couple of days), I need a drive asap.

Let me know.. where we could hook up, and when, keep in mind, I am kinda far.

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Originally posted by syP@Nov 12 2003, 06:24 AM
this is where i would suggest a DELL. If you get it without the monitor it can be around $500 for a decent machine. If you want to go CUSTOM, you can buy and AMD system for pretty cheap. I know the athlon xp 1900+ is like only $70. Motherboards arnt that much either. Talk to ThaLord, im sure he can help ya out
thanks,...

I'll talk to ya on IRC sometime bout it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info