• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Comp Cams

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Strange you would have that happen, what's your setup? Any intake mods, like delete plates or cold air kits, any headers,did you dyno tune it?:werd:

Intake, delete plates and long tubes. No i didn't dyno tune it but i had what everyone considers the best remote tuners tune it and it made 0 difference. Theh weren't locked out or anything. They sounded boss as fuck, but waste of $$ IMO. Seen plenty of stock cam cars go really fast.

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
Ok, I see what your problem is now, if you changed to the FRPP intake, used a mild NSR cam, you ended up losing torque in the lower rpm range, I know this since I use the the FRPP intake and dynotuned it after installation.
First notice on the dyno graph was torque loss, second notice no real gain in HP upper end. If you left your stock intake on with the charge motion plates you would of seen much better results.
I'm still using stock cams but with a centri blower, knowing that we wouldn't see any benefit with this intake till we moved on to reduction of intake restriction and the upping of the boost. After moving the boost to 18psi, installing a larger TB and replacing the vortech plumbing to an Anderson power pipe did we finally start seeing some benefits of that manifold.

In your NA setup the way to make it produce with that manifold is to go with very large cams, add springs, retainers and phase limiters, Don't ever lock out your cams on a 3v you would be throwing away HP and torque for now good reason. Or, keep what you have and add a SC you will be setup for some real nice passes.

The 3v motor loves boost, but it's just not very good on torque without some serious modding. They should be giving out really good deals this time of year for a tuner kit Vortech or Paxton Centri if you can swing it.

As far as email tunes, I guess they are good for CAI bolt ons but I just can't see using them to dial in cams, intakes or any other mods that would provide more hp gains.

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
Not intake manifold, sorry. Stock mani with charge motion plates. Besides the fact that the cams had CRAP driveability, it just wasn't worth slowing down and sounding crazy fast. I pulled them and sold them. Working on adding boost now but know the stock bottom end can only handle so much.

Very nice, you will like booooost.... on the stock lower stay 450rwhp or below and you will be fine. I ran 445rwhp with no problems on the stock block. Just make sure you use a good dyno tuner and tell em you want to back off a couple of degree's on the cam timing when you find peak.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Very nice, you will like booooost.... on the stock lower stay 450rwhp or below and you will be fine. I ran 445rwhp with no problems on the stock block. Just make sure you use a good dyno tuner and tell em you want to back off a couple of degree's on the cam timing when you find peak.

Yeah I can't wait. I think I might push it just a littttlle harder than that. Gunna try my luck with E85.

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
Two smaller turbos > 1 big turbo in 4.6 3v high revin little boost motor. Boost is controllable with T setup. Operating range? Big turbo means slower spool no matter if you run 450 or greater hp. This must be one big turbo....

Safe Brothers say 450rwhp or less u okay on stock internals, 450rwhp or higher the Safe Brotha's wants to be your parts supplier.

What parts do you have so far on this turbo build? Turbo, Piping, Injectors, Fuel Pumps etc... This should be a pretty wicked fast car when your done...

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah I understand what your doing, just givin a heads up before doo, don't want you to spend money and effort and end up with a lot of broken parts. If it was me.... I would run her at 450 till you can get the bottom end done and then turn up the boost afterwards. I'm not sure if your doing the build and tuning with that wide band, but I would talk to Han's at Deans about what your putting together, he's done a lot of turbo builds on Modulars and then talk to some tuners like Tim Barth or Mike Post. These guy's have seen a lot of these setups come through the door for tuning in both stock and mod bottom ends.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Yeah I understand what your doing, just givin a heads up before doo, don't want you to spend money and effort and end up with a lot of broken parts. If it was me.... I would run her at 450 till you can get the bottom end done and then turn up the boost afterwards. I'm not sure if your doing the build and tuning with that wide band, but I would talk to Han's at Deans about what your putting together, he's done a lot of turbo builds on Modulars and then talk to some tuners like Tim Barth or Mike Post. These guy's have seen a lot of these setups come through the door for tuning in both stock and mod bottom ends.

Yeah I was planning on taking it to Tim for tuning. I bought the kit complete, so Im not exactly building it from scratch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• W
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list