Come on GM (coolant leak rant)

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Just gotta wonder what the fuck is up with the engineer that designed this part. Did they have an IQ of 85, were they drunk or were they high? Here's the contraption they have that broke.

iu

The piece had a split at the seam so I threw a Dorman one in. The issue isn't the outlets with clamps but the one at the top with the clip. There's an adapter there. That adapter has an O-ring that seals. There's a pre-made hose with another o-ringed connector in it. You can see the piece of molded on plastic GM uses in leiu of a real clamp.

iu

So far I've had:
-The adapter leak. I replaced the o-ring
-The adapter still leaked
-The hose leaked where it connected into the adapter. Replaced the hose
-When I replaced the hose the line pulled off the connector with barely any effort. Certainly not anything I'd trust to seal. I cut the plastic piece off and put a real clamp on it.

Was a fucking hose barb or even a 1/8 NPT port too much to ask for on this? Why the hell would they even think this was a good idea? I have some ABS Slurry from my 3D printing stuff. Am I wrong to think I should just make this thing into a single piece with some ABS glue/goo?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
If you use worm clamps, you'll just crack the fucking thing. If you use the OEM tension clamps, it's a bitch to get them in a way, so that you can get the tool on them again later to get them off.

So I said fuck it, and started making my own T's and what not and used worm clamps.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Not just gm that does this shit. Plastic should rarely be used in a cooling system IMO.

I remember our old focus every year would have a t stat housing crack and puke coolant. The entire thing was plastic and bolted to the side of the head. Every few years there was a plastic coolant pipe that would also develop a split. I’d always use OEM ford parts too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info