Collector car/ agreed upon value insurance

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I have my shit with Hagerty.
I used to have it with American Collectors until they pissed me off when they said they wouldn't insure my C10 because it was not worth insuring.

Grundy is another that someone suggested, if/when Hagerty pisses me off I will look into Grundy.

FWIW, Hagerty's roadside coverage is an additional package that you have to ask for...don't ask me how I found out.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Your Supra is worth more than that my friend. I’ve seen dog shit ones 100k + miles on them asking 6 figures.
Anyone who has had agreed value from two years ago needs to bump it up do to these crazy prices lol

I use Haggerty. Grundy and Haggerty were similar rates when I quoted them.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Anyone who has had agreed value from two years ago needs to bump it up do to these crazy prices lol

I use Haggerty. Grundy and Haggerty were similar rates when I quoted them.

Grundy is cheaper than haggerty I’ve had both. I’ve never had a claim with either and I hope I never do. I already upped mine this year and the price barely went up on the yearly policy.

Reactions: Shawn1112 and Jon01

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I contacted my State Farm rep asking him if they offered anything like Hagerty or Grundy and he said he was going to talk to one of their underwriters or something because he mentioned they were buying one of the companies I mentioned and wanted to see if they could do the policy through them….

Going to be going with one of these companies for sure though, likely for 60k once the project is done.

Reactions: Jon01 and Shawn1112

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I have Hagerty and it's been awesome. I was using metro mile for everything. They are pay per mile and use an OBD II device to track miles and charge you that way. The problem is I sometimes have a car sitting for weeks at a time not being driven or it's at my other house parked. The OBD II device dies and stops reporting and then they start harassing you. Plus, it just wasn't cheap any longer. It was $50 base rate for the S8 plus something like 12 cents a mile.

Hagerty has been awesome. I'm paying $38 per month on the S8 and I believe $207 per month total on the i8, S8 and M5 and I've got the values inflated (but reasonable) on all three. The S8 I've got down for $25,000, the M5 for $40,000 and the i8 for $80,000.

This is an aspect of car ownership I never considered before, largely because I've never owned collector cars or anything that could potentially appreciate in value. Standard insurance on these cars is both more expensive and exponentially higher risk, especially in the case of the M5 or S8 which both have book values that are substantially less than actual values. The M5 specifically is lemans blue over lemans blue and State Farm or Metromile isn't going to care. They don't know a desirable color combo over a standard black on black car. They don't value a 2001 LCI car more than a 2000. They're going see a salvage title e39 M5 and give me probably under $10,000. The S8 they might give 11 or 12k. I'm dumping a buttload of money in the S8 right now. I love that thing and wanted it fully sorted. It's costing me about $6,000 to do that. I couldn't rationalize that decision if the car was going to pay out $10,000 if it was totaled.

Reactions: Jon01 and FESTER665

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
What did AC do that was sketchy?
They didn't necessarily do anything wrong. I had never heard of them when I applied, and I found it really odd that they just took my word for everything when I signed on. They didn't make me take many if any pictures. I knew a few people who liked being with Grundy, so I felt better being with them.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
They didn't necessarily do anything wrong. I had never heard of them when I applied, and I found it really odd that they just took my word for everything when I signed on. They didn't make me take many if any pictures. I knew a few people who liked being with Grundy, so I felt better being with them.
They asked me for pics and receipts

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

Grundy and Haggerty didn’t asked for much but a few pics and done.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info