• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

cobra overheating!!! plz help!!!

grey03svt

Dec 14, 2004
My car was idleing for about 10mins when i noticed my temp gauge was pegged on hot!

I checked out under the hood and what I found was the right side of the radiator (looking at the motor) was cold... But the left side of the radiator was way to hot to touch...rain drops were sizzling on it!

My heat blows out cold also...

Sounds like thermostat??? I have a 160 degree t-stat that i could toss in, but am not sure if it's ok to do or if i need a retune???

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
grey03svt said:
i hope it's the t-stat... im still waiting on a tune for the 160 to finish up... the only thing is, i put the factory t-stat in boiling water and it opened up all the way.....

the stat could be stick open/closed just a little bit. They are so cheap id replace it and stop worring about it.

It could be air in the system/low coolant also

Pressure test the system and check for leaks

Refill and bleed CORRECTLY, the slightest bit of air will send the temp gauge stright into the red..

grey03svt

Dec 14, 2004
RD SNAKE said:
the stat could be stick open/closed just a little bit. They are so cheap id replace it and stop worring about it.

It could be air in the system/low coolant also

Pressure test the system and check for leaks

Refill and bleed CORRECTLY, the slightest bit of air will send the temp gauge stright into the red..

no one but the dealer around here has a t-stat, and they are closed now...

i wonder if it would be wise to put in the 160 without a retune...or if i even need one?

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
these things take forver to "burp". Sounds like a burp for sure. Just let the car idle with the radiator cap off. I don't know where the high spot is on '03s but there might be a threaded plug somewhere you need to take out. One of the termi gurus will chime in shortly and help you out more.

grey03svt

Dec 14, 2004
cyac5l8trfcar said:
these things take forver to "burp". Sounds like a burp for sure. Just let the car idle with the radiator cap off. I don't know where the high spot is on '03s but there might be a threaded plug somewhere you need to take out. One of the termi gurus will chime in shortly and help you out more.

ya, ive burped this thing a million times.. the high point is on the crossover tube next to the blower. im just confused on why it would be air all of the sudden after about 4 months since the last time i burped it.... :dunno:

Bullitt-1469-

Regular
Jun 11, 2005
Make sure you use a ford stat because most after markets suck, I did it twice because the car quest stat was DOA, there goes more time and expensive coolant!

The high spots in the 03 motor is the back driver side head, thus why they made a cooling mod to solve the flow issue.

If you dont have one then try jacking the car up from the front and put in the coolant, and also make sure your filling it from the WATER TUBE not the coolant tank.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info