• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Cobra Has Bad Belt Squeak!

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
Is it a constant squeak? I had a problem with my 2.93 and a 100mm idler. it would squeak and almost tick when the car was cold. But when the car warmed up would go away. I took it to speed inc and they removed the idler and put a small belt on. I don't know if that helps or not. Just some info.

Stangfreak91

TCG Elite Member
Dec 5, 2004
I have a 2.8 upper from Reicard Racing and I running a Dayco Polycog belt and have had no problems as a matter of fact I've got a bonus whistle that sounds pretty cool at low speeds.

I think what happen with him was that on the dyno he had the SC expansion tank packed with ice and when they drained it on the dyno some of that fluid got on the lower pulley and belt possibly causing the squeak, So we will start there tonight , will run the car with no belt, If there is no squeak then clean all the pulleys with brake fluid and put on a fresh belt and hopefully that will solve the problem. IIf not then we will goto plan B? Which I don't even know what this is right now.

Thanks Guys!

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
ShelbyGuy said:
Make sure its not the bearing on the tensioner's idler pulley. It only makes noise for a little bit before it shits itself.

Hope that's not the case. I was going to post up about a similar squeeking problem that started recently. I haven't had the chance to try and diagnose the cause yet, but the only change I've made is installing a RR Tensioner. If that thing is going, I'm gonna be pissed...

Sorry, now back to the original thread creator's problem... :-o

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
If it's not the belt, then I'd blame the tensioner (mine was bad too), and if it's not those then I'd pass the blame onto the idler pulley bearings (in which case, just call BilletFlow and Doug will ship out a NEW bearing free of charge!)

As far as the tensioner, you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUY JUST THE TENSIONER FROM FORD, IT COMES AS AN ENTIRE PULLEY ASSEMBLY THAT COSTS $600!!! However, John (ShelbyGuy) says that the tensioner off of a Lightning might work, as it is pretty much the same. Give those a try. Good luck.

-Mike

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
As long as you are taking the belts off, try spinning the alternator by hand and see how it sounds. They go bad, both the alternator and its bearings on a regular basis.

You may also be able to hear it with a long screwdriver or something similar.

Do not use brake fluid to clean anything if you value you paint.

Dan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info