Cobra Has Bad Belt Squeak!

Stangfreak91

Reaction score
My buddy's Cobra has a real bad belt squeak that won't go away! He's changed the belt, and has changed all the pulleys to BF pulleys and still has belt squeak? Any ideas??
Thanks

Oncebitten03

Reaction score
you sure it's the belt? did you take off the blower belt and run the car? i thought that too once but it was an a/c compressor

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Reaction score
Yeah I would try running the car without the blower belt and see if it goes away. If not, maybe it is the tensioner.

Mr. Unknown

Reaction score
Is it a constant squeak? I had a problem with my 2.93 and a 100mm idler. it would squeak and almost tick when the car was cold. But when the car warmed up would go away. I took it to speed inc and they removed the idler and put a small belt on. I don't know if that helps or not. Just some info.

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Reaction score
What brand belt is it? I had a Gates belt and it was LOUD as all hell. I put the Good Year Gatorback and all is quiet. Maybe that might be the issue...

-Mike

OP
Stangfreak91

Stangfreak91

Reaction score
He's using a Gates belt right now, He says that once the car warms up it goes away. Right now just trying to pinpoint where the noise is coming from,
I'm thought that it might be the tensioner.

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Reaction score
Tell him to try a Good Year Gatorback belt. Gates have been known to have noise issues. It's only $20, and if that cures it then it will be well worth it, if not, you have a spare belt handy...it's a win-win test.

-Mike

OP
Stangfreak91

Stangfreak91

Reaction score
SonicBlur said:
Tell him to try a Good Year Gatorback belt. Gates have been known to have noise issues. It's only $20, and if that cures it then it will be well worth it, if not, you have a spare belt handy...it's a win-win test.

-Mike
thanks! i will tell him.

batman

Surrounded by 10 points
Reaction score
make sure it the right size and it isnt rubbing

SnakeBite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Reaction score
Mine make allot of noise as well but when it gets warm it stops. I thought you shouldn’t use gatorback belts with non slip pulleys?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Reaction score
Make sure its not the bearing on the tensioner's idler pulley. It only makes noise for a little bit before it shits itself.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Reaction score
SnakeBite2k5 said:
I thought you shouldn’t use gatorback belts with non slip pulleys?
That is BS IMHO. I ran a gatorback with my BF non slip upper pulley for 20k miles with no issues. I would bet people were using the wrong size belts if they had issues.

cdh027

Donating Member
Reaction score
Wiked03 said:
That is BS IMHO. I ran a gatorback with my BF non slip upper pulley for 20k miles with no issues. I would bet people were using the wrong size belts if they had issues.

I agree. I've been running a 2.80 non-slip upper with a Gatorback for 3 years now.

OP
Stangfreak91

Stangfreak91

Reaction score
I have a 2.8 upper from Reicard Racing and I running a Dayco Polycog belt and have had no problems as a matter of fact I've got a bonus whistle that sounds pretty cool at low speeds.

I think what happen with him was that on the dyno he had the SC expansion tank packed with ice and when they drained it on the dyno some of that fluid got on the lower pulley and belt possibly causing the squeak, So we will start there tonight , will run the car with no belt, If there is no squeak then clean all the pulleys with brake fluid and put on a fresh belt and hopefully that will solve the problem. IIf not then we will goto plan B? Which I don't even know what this is right now.

Thanks Guys!

gnxs

Corn-Fed Goodness
Reaction score
I've got a squeeky belt problem myself right now. Same deal...it goes away after everything warms up. I'm going to take the idler off tonight and see if that affects it. I still haven't been able to isolate the issue. :mad:

DSG03COBRA

Reaction score
ShelbyGuy said:
Make sure its not the bearing on the tensioner's idler pulley. It only makes noise for a little bit before it shits itself.
Hope that's not the case. I was going to post up about a similar squeeking problem that started recently. I haven't had the chance to try and diagnose the cause yet, but the only change I've made is installing a RR Tensioner. If that thing is going, I'm gonna be pissed...

Sorry, now back to the original thread creator's problem... :-o

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Reaction score
Tensioners will sqweak at first then tick once they crap out. Bet its his belt choice though. LIke the one guy above said, swap out the belt for a GoodYear and work your way to the Tensioner. Its either or imo.

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Reaction score
If it's not the belt, then I'd blame the tensioner (mine was bad too), and if it's not those then I'd pass the blame onto the idler pulley bearings (in which case, just call BilletFlow and Doug will ship out a NEW bearing free of charge!)

As far as the tensioner, you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUY JUST THE TENSIONER FROM FORD, IT COMES AS AN ENTIRE PULLEY ASSEMBLY THAT COSTS $600!!! However, John (ShelbyGuy) says that the tensioner off of a Lightning might work, as it is pretty much the same. Give those a try. Good luck.

-Mike

Dragon03

Super hated on
Reaction score
Wiked03 said:
+1 Im in agreement. I run GB no problemos

Dana

Bluesmobile
Reaction score
As long as you are taking the belts off, try spinning the alternator by hand and see how it sounds. They go bad, both the alternator and its bearings on a regular basis.

You may also be able to hear it with a long screwdriver or something similar.

Do not use brake fluid to clean anything if you value you paint.

Dan

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom