• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Coated Rotor Issue?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Anyone ever use coated rotors? I changed the pads/rotors on the Taurus on Monday and used wearever PI rotors and wagner pads as replacements.

For the first 40 miles I only had a normal mildly scratchy noise from the coating being worn off. then after that, I start hearing a clicking/popping noise from the right front. It clicks/pops once per wheel rotation and gets louder as brake pressure increases.

Wednesday I took everything off to make sure it's tight, removed the caliper, made sure the pads were in there correctly, etc. Yesterday I still heard the noise. So I took it back apart and replaced the stupid clips thinking maybe I shouldn't have reused the old ones (even though they looked fine). I read of a few people having a similar noise that went away after replacing the clips, so even though I don't possibly see how that could make a noise like I'm hearing, I did so. Still have the noise today

tonight i'll take the rotor off and inspect it closer, but I'm wondering if you guys ever had a similar issue

these are the rotors

CARQUEST Frontline Brake Rotor - Front G09526SD: Advance Auto Parts

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
negative, I've done brakes on a bunch of cars and never used grease.

if this was a noise I heard only once upon applying/deapplying the brakes I'd look for something that would cause movement of the pad, but the fact that it makes the noise once per rotation, and there's no grinding whatsoever, is really weird to me. that limits the number of things that it could be (IMO.... but I could very well be wrong)

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
i can't because the brake needs to be applied. tomorrow i'll ask the wife to hit the brake while the wheel is off so I can see if there's anything flexing that shouldn't be (like the clips or the little spring that keeps outward pressure on the pads) , but considering that it's not a constant noise I don't think that'll tell me much

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Only other thing is to make sure that the pads are on correctly and not flipped. I'm sure they are but some vehicles pads can go on either side fine, but may be slightly different and need to be put on a certain way.

My F150 is like this. Very easy to flip the pads (inside/outside). If they are not put in correctly they can rub or flex the caliper and make noise.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Over the weekend I took everything off, including the rotor this time, and reassembled it. I think that somehow maybe the rotor didn't sit perfectly flush when I put it on, which caused the popping/binding noise. No visible clues anywhere that would indicate this was happening but there was a little bit of corrosion on the hub that could have kept the rotor from sitting flush. I figured torqueing the wheel down would have held the rotor flat but hey, what do I know

Reinstalled and we're all set! thanks guys

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info