🔧 BUILD CMNT's thing is bigger than yours v. cubic inch displacement

General Information

So... I am finally doing a thing. It's a thing I've been talking about for awhile now. I had held off as working for Sears as I didn't want to spend money on a happy meal, much less any big purchases... Now that I am happilly employed elsewhere I figured it was now time to shit or get off the pot. Anyway, I have been looking for awhile and am currently in the process of buying it.

Ok, so what is it?

3/4 ton, 2003 Suburban LT 4x4, with the ole 496'er and 4.10 gears. It has the normal assortment of dings, a door dent, and normal wear and tear of a 17 y/o GM truck, but what sold it was that all this has less than 100k on the clock and the price was cheap. So I wasted no time getting the dealer on the phone and putting a deposit on it before anyone else could. The problem is... The dealer is out in Utah.

I do have some dealer pics I will post when I get on my other computer, But I am so excited to have another Vortec 8100.

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2790.png

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So remember last week, when I remarked that I had no post-cat HO2S. Today, I fixed another issue, my DLC port wasn't working. I found this out when I initially tried to plug in my Tech2 a few weeks ago. Anyway, I found a bad ground, fixed it, and plugged in the T2 and started snooping around things. One menu this has is HO2S activity. Took a screen shot, as you can see, how it treats the post-cat HO2S's, automatically holding them at .477mV. Anyway, just thought it was an interesting view.

Suburban HO2S.jpg

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
That is a good point.

My concern about the thickness centered around having them cover the OEM studs once you bolt the adaptors on so that the wheel can sit flush on the adaptor. I thought I read somewhere that guys with HD trucks had to go 2". Not sure if that impacted Suburban's too.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Nothing earth shattering major...

A few weeks ago, I changed the fluids in the front diff, transfer case and rear diff. The rear diff, I just put an entire new cover on... it came non-painted I was running late on time, so I just got it all put back together, I didn't get to paint it then, so I did that yesterday;

Diff cover.jpg

Then when I was removing the plow receivers, I noticed that these little slit grilles had some plastic block out plates in it. So I popped these out. These noticeably drop my trans fluid temps just from driving the past two days with them out;

20210515_131949.jpg

Then I finally got around to cleaning my carpet and putting in my WeatherTech's that the wife got me for Christmas... Yea, I know... These things cover sooo much more than the Husky liners the previous owner had in there.

New mats.jpg

Today, I tried to get my oil pressure sending unit, but was completely unsuccessful. I can't even fit my hand back there, much less find the sending unit, or articulate my hand enough to get a tool on it. I went to disconnect the fuel lines there, but it appears I do not have the right disconnect tool. So gotta go back to square one on that.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
As I posted in the "Latest purchase..." thread last week, the OEM muffler is going out on this thing. So I made an aftermarket purchase. :D Magnaflow 12590. Dual 3" on one side that I'll use as the inlet side and then singe 3" out. The OEM muffler is dual 3" in, dual 3" out, that immediately "Y's in to one 3" piping. The issue is that "Y" is very tight and the duals are closer to one another than normal. So I'll cut it after the "Y" and fab that single extension to the muffler.

It arrived Tuesday and today I put high temp paint on it. I usually do this with Magnaflow mufflers because of their penchant for the Patina'ing (or whatever it's called) that their stainless likes to do. This keeps them looking better for a longer time.

20221008_161852.jpg

20221008_162016.jpg

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Finally got around to installing the new muffler. The OEM one was ugly when I got it out...

20221030_135349[1].jpg

20221030_135418[1].jpg

And of course... Just the tip... I actually have always had this on, but with cutting up the OEM tail pipe and changing some of the angles, I had to readjust the tip.

20221030_135314[1].jpg

Thread Info