🔧 BUILD CMNT's thing is bigger than yours v. cubic inch displacement

General Information

So... I am finally doing a thing. It's a thing I've been talking about for awhile now. I had held off as working for Sears as I didn't want to spend money on a happy meal, much less any big purchases... Now that I am happilly employed elsewhere I figured it was now time to shit or get off the pot. Anyway, I have been looking for awhile and am currently in the process of buying it.

Ok, so what is it?

3/4 ton, 2003 Suburban LT 4x4, with the ole 496'er and 4.10 gears. It has the normal assortment of dings, a door dent, and normal wear and tear of a 17 y/o GM truck, but what sold it was that all this has less than 100k on the clock and the price was cheap. So I wasted no time getting the dealer on the phone and putting a deposit on it before anyone else could. The problem is... The dealer is out in Utah.

I do have some dealer pics I will post when I get on my other computer, But I am so excited to have another Vortec 8100.

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2790.png

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
You're gonna continue to wait. :D

Guy sold them before I could get them. I was working 7 days a week, 13+ hours and just could never hook up.

I just ended up getting new tires in the same 265/75/16 that I had on there. I needed them as the next few days is when the snow deluge started

20210123_145845.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
With the nice weather today, spent some time going through more things.

1) I've had a decent sized oil leak. I traced it back to the oil cooler lines. A common issue on these. So I did that today.

The fun part was taking a bath in a quart of oil. Just for shits and giggles, I cut back the plastic wire looming that they wrapped around the rubber hose section, oil came pouring out... it was like taking a bath in it. That's how much was settled in there. So yea, it was the cooler lines. :D

2) As I am going to do something exhaust wise to the truck (I gotta have a little volume), I started looking at how/where I could cut and replace. I noted something very odd. Both downstream (post-cat HO2S) bungs are capped. Meaning no sensor. And there isn't any wiring harness/plugs there at all indicating the previous owner just got rid of them and capped them. There ain't shit there. There are pre-cat HO2S's, but nothing after the cats on either bank. I don't have any codes, no MIL, nothing... So I am scratching my head here. In all parts diagrams, it shows HO2S's there and part numbers for them.

Back on the sound part though, I'm gonna do some research on what will work best for sound. It is 2 - 2.5" pipes in to the muffler and 2 - 3" out, in to a "Y" that is 2.5" out to the tail pipe. Magnaflow, Gibson and I believe Flowmaster make pre-fabbed setups, I just fear that they'll be too loud.

3) Playing around the rear end (Yea, I just said that), as one of the things I'm going to do next weekend is drain and refill the diff with fresh gear oil (just ordered a nice new cover too), was that with my auto-ride, I had this little rod hanging down. Poking around, I find that that was the link to the ride height sensor. Damn thing was broken. Sadly unlike the 1/2 tonners where you can just get the linkage rod, the 2500's you gotta buy the whole friggen sensor, so I just did that.

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Perhaps. But I don't see any wiring at all back there to even put the spoofers in. I had several set of those in the past, so knowing what they look like, they would've stuck out.

I think it's just the back. It has the stability control setup at all four corners, but just the back has the load leveling.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i have a set like that without tires in my shed, one has a slight crack near the lip, the seller didn't tell me about it and i didn't notice until i got home.

similar condition i'd say.

id let em go for a handle of jack though. i know im not doing shit with em.
Will it safely hold air? I am at the point where I desperately need tires and I've been kicking the can down the road somewhat because I have been keeping my eyes out for bigger 8 lug wheels to open up my tire size options. I'm limited to 265/75/16 (what's currently on the truck), with the OEM 16x6.5 wheel.
i think if i were to use it id just take it somewhere that welds aluminum and have them hit it to not worrya bout it personally.

it may hold air but i wouldn't want to go through the trouble of mounting it and shit and finding out it didn't.

do you want these? id give em to you if you can snag em like this weekend though i need em outta my shed

Thread Info