🔧 BUILD CMNT's thing is bigger than yours v. cubic inch displacement

General Information

So... I am finally doing a thing. It's a thing I've been talking about for awhile now. I had held off as working for Sears as I didn't want to spend money on a happy meal, much less any big purchases... Now that I am happilly employed elsewhere I figured it was now time to shit or get off the pot. Anyway, I have been looking for awhile and am currently in the process of buying it.

Ok, so what is it?

3/4 ton, 2003 Suburban LT 4x4, with the ole 496'er and 4.10 gears. It has the normal assortment of dings, a door dent, and normal wear and tear of a 17 y/o GM truck, but what sold it was that all this has less than 100k on the clock and the price was cheap. So I wasted no time getting the dealer on the phone and putting a deposit on it before anyone else could. The problem is... The dealer is out in Utah.

I do have some dealer pics I will post when I get on my other computer, But I am so excited to have another Vortec 8100.

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2790.png

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Well that's because it's a Dodge... Dodges/Chrysler's are on a weight reduction plan when they leave the factory. :D
So is SpeedSpeak2me SpeedSpeak2me Chevy :angrys00ls:

Our shop truck is just as bad, 2013 F250 rusting all around the rear bed wheel arches because of shit seam sealing. So if anyone finds a solid long bed, doesn't matter the color, I'd be a buyer.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So is SpeedSpeak2me SpeedSpeak2me Chevy :angrys00ls:

Our shop truck is just as bad, 2013 F250 rusting all around the rear bed wheel arches because of shit seam sealing. So if anyone finds a solid long bed, doesn't matter the color, I'd be a buyer.
Yup, rockers on both sides are gone, and those rear wheel arches turned to dust five years ago. Oh, the bed rails from the wheel tubs going rearwards are gone, and the only thing that resembles the "lip" is the Line-X liner.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
That's another worry. GMT-800's and 900's (Speed's), are prone to that same weight loss program. But that's more body issues than anything.
Underside of mine is getting pretty "crusty" as SRT41320 SRT41320 put it. The lower 5 or 6 bolts for the rear dff cover are just rusted nubs. Surprisingly the leaf spring shackle mounts (attached to the bottom of the bed) are incredibly solid, aside from some surface rust. I've heard that the mounting point fails, and the top of the shackle punches through the bed.

Summer of 2022 I had it at a shop down by my dad's old place. Guy is a huge GMT800 and GMT900 fan. He said that in recent years mine was the nicest he's driven, all from a mechanical perspective. Was shocked how good the interior was.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I don't want to hijack the thread, but as CMNTMXR57 CMNTMXR57 has seen, I absolutely love my truck. Yesterday, I had the choice to drive it or the car out to White Pines Forest and also the Nachusa Grasslands... You can guess which one I took. Oh wait, you don't have to. I posted it :ROFLMAO:

Edit - I just wish I could afford to get the body issues taken care of. Just made "better", not even back to 100%.

Have we met?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I don't want to hijack the thread, but as CMNTMXR57 CMNTMXR57 has seen, I absolutely love my truck. Yesterday, I had the choice to drive it or the car out to White Pines Forest and also the Nachusa Grasslands... You can guess which one I took. Oh wait, you don't have to. I posted it :ROFLMAO:

Edit - I just wish I could afford to get the body issues taken care of. Just made "better", not even back to 100%.

Have we met?
Flat bed time

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Finally got around to installing the new muffler. The OEM one was ugly when I got it out...

View attachment 137695

View attachment 137696

And of course... Just the tip... I actually have always had this on, but with cutting up the OEM tail pipe and changing some of the angles, I had to readjust the tip.

View attachment 137698
Replying to myself. :D

So now that I've had this on a little over a year now (keep in mind, I don't drive it a heck of a lot in the warm months as I'm driving the cool cars), I think I'm not overly crazy about the sound of this Magnaflow. It is a Magnaflow #12590 which is a dual 3" in, single 3" out mirroring the OEM setup more or less. While they say it's universal fit (meaning you can go either way with it), I think their intended way was the 3" in, dual 3" out. As such, I think it adds a weird resonance in the tone as RPM's increase.

12590 that I have now;
1704689967266.png

Come spring, I may switch to a Magnaflow #12599. This is a dual 3" in, dual 3" out, with internal "X" pipe. I would then run the second outet pipe of to the drivers side behind that wheel.

1704689825536.png

Thread Info