• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Click Click Click & Vibration

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
I am having a vibration problem... Struts were replaced... Alignment done... Everything was so-so ok... Now the steering wheel is vibrating to Jenna Jameson standards (steering wheel shakes a bit at all speeds, but, @ higher speeds the cars ass end starts to shake) & when I leave from a stand still I hear a click click click (kinda big wheel / baseball card flipping across bike spokes - sound) coming from the rear drivers side wheel area. I had a hub replaced by Ford sometime ago and then last year I had the something else done, but, am drawing a complete blank on what it was.

Anyway... Any $.02 is apprecaited.

Thx in advance!

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
my .02

Wheel bearing?:dunno:

The tire is rubbing anything. Nothing is stuck on the tire?

Was thinking that too... Just not an expert @ this stuff...

Tire seems fine. I have regular BFG G Force on there 275/40/17. What is weird... I could get the car aligned right now and it'll be fine for a little bit, but, then it gets kinda crappy on me. The only diff now is that clicking.

Note: I had the tires rebalanced when I had the struts & alignment done.

Thx Chris.

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
Was thinking that too... Just not an expert @ this stuff...

Tire seems fine. I have regular BFG G Force on there 275/40/17. What is weird... I could get the car aligned right now and it'll be fine for a little bit, but, then it gets kinda crappy on me. The only diff now is that clicking.

Note: I had the tires rebalanced when I had the struts & alignment done.

Thx Chris.

Np. I'm not an expert either, but that's they first thing that came to mind. How long after the alignment did it start to happen? I'd take it back.

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
Np. I'm not an expert either, but that's they first thing that came to mind. How long after the alignment did it start to happen? I'd take it back.

I'd say about 2 to 3 weeks.

But that clicking has me going WTF.

Maybe just bring it into AH Ford one of these days... They'll give me a loaner... Or, if someone has a kick ass / fair priced guy I'd listen.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
The backing plates are very easy to bend. With all of the work done to your car, I bet one of the Techs. bent the backing plate just enought to touch the rotor while the tire is spinning. To check this, try to stick your finger between the rotor and backing plate, you'll no right away if the backing plate is touching. If it is a little too closet then bend it a little bit with your hand. This can all be done with the wheels on and the car on the ground.

What is the condition of your front tires? Move your hand across the front tires and it should feel smooth not bumps etc. If you have a shaking steering wheel it usually is a bad front tire. Try to swap the front tires left to right, right to left. I no the tires are direction but if you swap them for a quick test drive and the problem is gone then you no your tires are bad.

Report back with your findings. It was also kind of hard to understand what you were talking about in your orginal post. This was the best I could do.

Kevin

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
Hey Kevin,

Thx for the advice.

#1. (Click) Spot on regarding the backing plate. I just did what you said and took it around the block. The clicking is gone. :biggthump

#2 (Tire) Doing the swap... I have to bring the car over to some folks I know in order to do what you said. I'll nail that down Saturday. I did run my hands over the tires and they seem smooth to me. Note: They have about 10K on them.

Yes, I have a habit of explaining things like crap. My excuse this time :rolleyes: I was at work and multitasking is not my forte. :)

We can forget the clicking now, but, the vibration of the steering wheel is a bit on the constant side. Most noticable between 40 and 60 MPH. Now, if I get the speed up, the steering wheel vibration minimizes however if I look out my rear view it's like the trunk lid is vibrating/shaking and it feels like the whole car is doing that (seat of the pants feel for sure). This type of action starts at 80 MPH.

Note: I had my car in the air and there was side to side play with the front tires. I followed the advice of a mechanic and had the struts replaced / alignment done about 2 months ago. I thought that would cure all my ills with the vibration. That was fair for about 2 weeks then it all went south again.

Many thx for your input on this!

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Hey Kevin,

Thx for the advice.

#1. (Click) Spot on regarding the backing plate. I just did what you said and took it around the block. The clicking is gone. :biggthump

#2 (Tire) Doing the swap... I have to bring the car over to some folks I know in order to do what you said. I'll nail that down Saturday. I did run my hands over the tires and they seem smooth to me. Note: They have about 10K on them.

Yes, I have a habit of explaining things like crap. My excuse this time :rolleyes: I was at work and multitasking is not my forte. :)

We can forget the clicking now, but, the vibration of the steering wheel is a bit on the constant side. Most noticable between 40 and 60 MPH. Now, if I get the speed up, the steering wheel vibration minimizes however if I look out my rear view it's like the trunk lid is vibrating/shaking and it feels like the whole car is doing that (seat of the pants feel for sure). This type of action starts at 80 MPH.

Note: I had my car in the air and there was side to side play with the front tires. I followed the advice of a mechanic and had the struts replaced / alignment done about 2 months ago. I thought that would cure all my ills with the vibration. That was fair for about 2 weeks then it all went south again.

Yeah, the backing plate is pretty common but almost always over looked.

Anyways, How many miles are on the car? Any side to side play in the wheel is a bad inner/outter tie rod end not struts.

Although your steering wheel is shaking a bit, it sounds like their might be a couple problems. The way your explaining this, it almost sound like a driveline vibration and a tire issue. But a bad tire is sometimes explained as "you feel in the seat of your pants" so their might be a driveline problem or their might not.

To narrow this down, like I side swap front wheels side to side and see if the steering wheel shaking goes away.

If your having a driveline vibration try to narrow it down to a certin speed IE 45mph, 50 mph etc..Also what gears does it happen it 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th etc...Does it go away when you press the clutch in etc...these are all important things to narrow it down.

What area are you located in? This would be almost cut and dry if I could get a ride in the car. I'm almost 100% sure it is a front tire issue.

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
Kevin,

Drove to the gym / work this morning and the clicking is "for sure" gone. :biggthump

Mileage on the car wo/ looking right now is in the low 50K range.

I will nail down speed / gears / clutch today and then again after the tire swap on Saturday.

Homebase is the Barrington area. Tell ya though Kevin... If you are willing to take time out of your schedule I'll be more than happy to drive over to your neck of the woods.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
You can try the wheel bearing test without too much trouble. Jack up one side of the car and try to move the wheels up/down and side to side. Repeat for the other wheels. If one wheel moves more than the others, it's probably the wheel bearing. The car shimmying while on the highway is another wheel bearing failure sign.

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
Maybe a wheel weight fell off and the wheel is out of balance?

Could be... I'll have Joey take a look Saturday. I'm going to see if they can fit me in for a quick look at all the things suggested. Thx Nick.

You can try the wheel bearing test without too much trouble. Jack up one side of the car and try to move the wheels up/down and side to side. Repeat for the other wheels. If one wheel moves more than the others, it's probably the wheel bearing. The car shimmying while on the highway is another wheel bearing failure sign.

*THAT* is what the problem was last year. I brought it in and the rear/drivers side wheel moved up and down a bit. Supposedly fixed, but, maybe it is that again :confused::dunno:

I know wheel bearing was mentioned earlier, but, didn't hit me until you said what you just said.

I'll try that as well.

Thank you!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Could be... I'll have Joey take a look Saturday. Thx Nick.

*THAT* is what the problem was last year. I brought it in and the rear/drivers side wheel moved up and down a bit. Supposedly fixed, but, maybe it is that again :confused::dunno:

I know wheel bearing was mentioned earlier, but, didn't hit me until you said what you just said.

I'll try that as well.

Thank you!

My driver's side rear wheel bearing was the first to go. Since then I've replaced both fronts, too. 46,000 miles on the car. :rolleyes:

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
If a wheel weight fell off, you wouldn't feel it untill highway speeds (50+ mph).

Cliff is correct on the wheel bearings, they are very common althought I never when thought a set yet. I have only 20K on the clock. Just to add something, when you check the wheel bearings make sure your jacking up on the lower control arms to unload the upper control arms, then you will see if the wheel bearings have play.

Tom, I'm free the whole weekend..Saturday and Sunday. Id be more then happy to take a look at it, just let me know when.

Kevin

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Hey Kevin,

Thx for the advice.

I had that problem at 80mph+ and I replaced my tires and it went away. It was just as bad on deceleration from like 95 and down.

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
If a wheel weight fell off, you wouldn't feel it untill highway speeds (50+ mph).

Cliff is correct on the wheel bearings, they are very common althought I never when thought a set yet. I have only 20K on the clock. Just to add something, when you check the wheel bearings make sure your jacking up on the lower control arms to unload the upper control arms, then you will see if the wheel bearings have play.

Tom, I'm free the whole weekend..Saturday and Sunday. Id be more then happy to take a look at it, just let me know when.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I am going to call Thursday and verify I can get some shop time on Saturday. Get the tire swap done and have some folks take a look @ what has been suggested.

These are the same folks that told me to replace the struts. I am confident in their overall abilities, however, from my readings on this site, you along with some others know these cars very well, so, if you can set aside some time Sunday late morning / early afternoon, I'd like to fly down there and have you take a look.

I'll PM my cell number. Give me a call or PM me w/ time and addy.

Appreciate this.

-Tom

I had that problem at 80mph+ and I replaced my tires and it went away. It was just as bad on deceleration from like 95 and down.

Maybe that is it... I put BFG's GForce on about 10K miles ago. Now... about 3K miles ago I had them rebalanced at another shop. They said whoever did them before did not balance them correctly. Now maybe that has messed up the tire(s) :dunno:. They feel smooth to the touch with no visible (at least to me) uneven wear pattern, but, like I said earlier... I could get the car aligned right now and it'd be a better (not great) for about 2 weeks then it will slowly go back to its current state.

:dunno: and this has just become annoying now... Just want to :ar:

Thx for the input.

sschassis

Senior Nilater
Jul 6, 2005
I am having a vibration problem... Struts were replaced... Alignment done... Everything was so-so ok... Now the steering wheel is vibrating to Jenna Jameson standards (steering wheel shakes a bit at all speeds, but, @ higher speeds the cars ass end starts to shake) & when I leave from a stand still I hear a click click click (kinda big wheel / baseball card flipping across bike spokes - sound) coming from the rear drivers side wheel area. I had a hub replaced by Ford sometime ago and then last year I had the something else done, but, am drawing a complete blank on what it was.

Anyway... Any $.02 is apprecaited.

Thx in advance!
I have experience this problem before with my car & other cobras the Vibration also comes from bad clutch also a stock Trans input shaft bend or twisted …….. Good luck

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info