Cleaning aluminum trailer

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I picked up a nice Aluma MC210 trailer last week for a great price. My buddy bought it new, and really didn't use it much. The sticker on the plate was expired in 2014, and the trailer is a 2011 to give you some idea. Anyway, of course it sat outside its whole life and it was under some trees and such. Here is what it looked like when I got it.

At his place
20200603_200316-X4.jpg

Before I cleaned it at all
20200606_142956-X4.jpg

20200606_143025-X3.jpg

And here is is after pressure washing it
20200606_153409-X4.jpg

20200606_153418-X3.jpg

As you can see, 95% of it really cleaned up great! The D-rings are all stainless so they are all in great shape. However, you can see in that last pic that the front right deck area is stained from having vegetation sitting on it for years. You can see it here since I was an asshole (really just in a big rush) and never brushed it off before grabbing my mower.
20200604_105115-X4.jpg

So what can I use to clean that up? I tried simple green, but didn't brush it in at all. Before I do that I figured I would ask you guys whats good on aluminum. Also do you guy suggest anything to get it even better looking and to protect it some?

Thanks,
Sean

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Did you hit it with a pressure washer? Is it mold and mildew? Maybe try bleach or a powdered bleach cleaner like Comet.
Yeah, I pressure washed it with just water. I have a decent pressure washer (Simpson 3200 PSI) and even used the 0 degree nozzle and it didn't make a difference vs the two other wider nozzles I had already used. Then I sprayed it with concentrated simple green, let it sit for a minute or two and hit it again with no change.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Aluminum wheel brightener, the acid kind works very well on them.
Dilute it down some in a bucket and use a big scrub brush to spread it around the trailer.
Let it soak for 15-30 minutes(don't let it dry) and hose it off.

Aluma's are great trailers, I've had a couple and that's all I will buy in the future.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
If the deck is brushed aluminum you can use toonbright, but don’t get it on anything shiny or it will never be shiny again, it’s an aluminum etching cleaner used on pontoon boats to get the growth off, it will basically look white when your done as it takes all the oxidation out of the aluminum as well so you will want to do the whole deck with it or it will be different colors

stock-t-bird

THORNTON QUARRY
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2008
Thornton Quarry
same with acid based a/c cleaner...will it clean it......yes....will it brush off the shiny shine...yep

go with some non-acid cleaner..i have some HD/Cleaner non-acid cleaner I can send you for free

you have nothing to lose
its basically a HD non-acid deagreaser used for A/C cleaning...try a small spot for sample..its free dude

shoot me a PM

you have nothing to lose,basically a HD/Degreaser....Environmentaly Safe....i dont see no damage it will do

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info