Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Woah, kinda cool

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

Been waiting for this a long time.

Hoping they share some cool photo's & chemical analysis at some point??

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could China be exploring the possibility of putting a roof on a crater in the future and turning it into a moon base? Why else would they plan on landing in an 8 miles deep crater?

Reminds me of that James Bond movie inside the volcano.

This is good though. I view space exploration as a victory for the entire human race. Just hope China decides to share what they learn.

Also I see this as good competition. Hopefully we get our ass together and one-up them! C’mon Trump, don’t let the commies beat us in technological superiority!

bnr32

Reaction score
new spot for them to dump manufacturing waste.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
China only cares about what is good for them, not mankind.

Technological superiority? They're 50 years behind us.

OP
Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
We can't let another country control the moon. They could throw rocks at us.

That's not a joke.

China could build a launching system on the moon and aim the rocks wherever they please. With calculations, they could hit cities with man made asteroids.

Trump better get his Space Forrrcccce going.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
I would be concerned about them gaining control over our satellites and other communications links.

One of the reasons we've been so capable (I won't use the word "successful" to be honest because that opens up Pandora's box), in recent "skirmishes" is because of our satellite and GPS capabilities. Our eyes high up in the sky above everyone else, untouchable really. Now they could put eyes in the sky over our eyes in the sky and take control over them.

OP
Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
To elaborate on the "throw space rocks" theory which I read about years ago in Robert Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", this guy answers the question of whether turning moon rocks into nuclear weapon destruction level missiles is possible.

You could, but it wouldn't be super easy.

First of all, you have to get off of the Moon. The escape velocity of the Moon is around 2.38 km/s, which is a good estimate of what you would need to leave the Moon's sphere of influence. About 700 m/s of that is the orbital velocity. If you launch the right direction, you would only need another 300 m/s of speed to completely cancel out the orbital velocity of the Moon around the Earth, which is about 1 km/s. Thus, the minimum velocity is 2.68 km/s. There are some nuances that might reduce this velocity slightly, but it should be close enough to get a rough guess.

Okay, so is that even possible? There are rail guns that have demonstrated 2.4 km/s when shooting a 3 kg slug on Earth. With low gravity, and no atmosphere, that can probably be scaled to something a bit higher for use at the Moon. Artillery on Earth typically is somewhat slower, maxing out at around 1 km/s for a larger round, and 1.5 km/s for a smaller round.

All that being said, it is easier to build a cannon on the Moon. The largest cannons on Earth, such as Project Babylon, require supports to keep the barrel from bending in the middle, which would cause the projectile to go off course.

Next to consider is the accuracy. A difference in only 1 m/s, when taken over the 3 days the Apollo mission took to return from the Earth results in a total distance of over 250 km, without taking into account gravity and the Earth's rotation. Realistically, at least some ability to tun the path in flight is required.

Next, would it survive? If a chunk of refined dense material, like Tungsten, was sent, it could survive. Titanium is quite common on the Moon, and would probably survive. Aluminum, which is the most common element on the Moon, would not survive, unless in a very large chunk.

Lastly, how much force would it impart? The velocity at Earth varies, but will be around 11 km/s. Let's say a small nuclear weapon is our benchmark, 20 kilotons. 1 kiloton is about 4.18 GJs. The kinetic energy is 12mv2. At the speed indicated, it would thus require a rock of about 1380 kg to have the force of a nuclear weapon. This is larger then any cannon type projectile we have launched on Earth, but isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

Bottom line, if lunar citizens are really wanted to bomb Earth, they could do it using some kind of a cannon or electromagnetic rail. Most likely the projectiles would require at least a little guidance, and of very dense metals. It would also take considerable calculation to make it work as intended.
https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/24734/could-you-launch-rocks-from-the-moon-to-hit-earth

This asteroid that hit Russia was measured at 570 Kg. and was equivalent to 300,000 tons of TNT. Imagine one twice as big aimed directly at a city. Scary thought that our grandchildren may have to deal with something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpmXyJrs7iU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_szd9B3FU8Y

You can add this to the list of ways humanity dies that are more likely than global warming.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
China is landing an exploration spaceship on the far side of the moon in January. It has also put a relay station in orbit around the moon so China can communicate with its far side lander.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6545199/Chinese-spacecraft-position-historic-landing-dark-moon.html

Could China be exploring the possibility of putting a roof on a crater in the future and turning it into a moon base? Why else would they plan on landing in an 8 miles deep crater?
There is already moon bases. Where have you been?

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Technological superiority? They're 50 years behind us.

I know I know, we did this along time ago. Although “I don’t think” we ever sent a rover to the Moon but we did send 12 astronauts up there, 3 cars and a handful of rovers to Mars.

It’s just sad that ATM we don’t have a domestic way to get to the space station on our own and have to rely on 1960’s Soviet junk. Hopefully Elon (or bezos) can change this

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Sorry China. Been there, done that.

Now we are working on a new wall!

China’s “been there and done that.” lolzzzz

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

We absolutely have multiple vehicles capable of reaching the space station & the moon for that matter.
The problem is the certification criteria is insane for human passengers.

They don't have that issue in russia, so we get stuck paying them insane dough instead of doing it our self.

When was the last failure of a Musk or Beso launch that would have cost lives???
Not since the beginning of their testing IIRC??

OP
Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Musk and Bezos are trying to avoid the inherent problem with space travel...

...it's insanely dangerous.

Imagine a ship of billionaires becoming the next Challenger. That would set the space programs back 20 years (like it did).

OP
Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how we are going to monitor Chinese activity on the moon if they are on the far side?

We'll probably have to put up a spy sat in the neighborhood.

I think all of us have seen the secret base on the darkside movies. I know Tinfoil has. :smile:

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m surprised tinfoil thinks we went to the moon in the first place, I thought that was the major conspiracy.

As for monitoring the Chinese, pretty sure we already have satellites orbiting both the moon and mars. You can explore both on google earth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom