Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Chevrolet has just revealed that its future plans call for a 400-mile electric pickup truck. Details are sparse, but this truck will challenge the Ford F-150 electric, Tesla Cybertruck, Rivian R1T and more.

News of this electric truck from Chevy comes via the release of its annual sustainability report. Within that 2019 report which was just released yesterday, there's some new info on Chevy's electric truck.

This isn't the first time we've heard a mention of Chevy making an electric pickup truck in the future, but it is the first time in which even just a bit of info was revealed. Chevrolet had previously confirmed plans to build an electric pickup at the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant starting in late 2021.

The new bit of info simply states that the Chevy truck will be of the full-size variety and that its targeted range is at least 400 miles on a full charge. Of course, we can safely assume that the truck will use GM's new Ultium platform and battery technology, as we already know that the GMC Hummer electric pickup truck and SUV will both feature Ultium too.

Here's the actual wording on the electric Chevy truck from GM in its sustainability report:

Chevrolet BET Truck, which will be the brand's first electric full-size pickup, offering 400+ miles of range on a single charge.

And that's the only mention, so as we stated, details are very scarce at the moment.

We welcome yet another entry into the future electric pickup trucks segment, which is sure to be among the hottest EV segments in the U.S. market.

See page 39 in the report below for the section on the Chevy electric truck:

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I wish they would make a hybrid again. Having a limited range is a turn off for me.
Their hybrids had like 2mpg improvement, hardly worthwhile aside from GM learning from it.

A 400 mile electric range is gonna be useful for nearly everything but 6 hour + interstate travel. Obviously not for everybody, but useful the vast majority.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Their hybrids had like 2mpg improvement, hardly worthwhile aside from GM learning from it.

A 400 mile electric range is gonna be useful for nearly everything but 6 hour + interstate travel EMPTY. Obviously not for everybody, but useful the vast majority.

fixed.

tell me it can make it at least 200 miles with a measely 5-6k lbs behind it then let's talk.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'd like to see a PHEV truck from them. With enough battery to get like 30-40 miles of electric only. Then use the electric motors for acceleration assist. I'd like to keep my ICE for when the battery runs out, long drives, hauling/towing/etc.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I do when I get off-highway or way out in the boonies. I'll throw one or two full five gal containers in the bed just in case.

Got stuck in traffic going north to go sledding. Two asshat semi drivers decided to play grab ass going up a hill in the snow and spun out, blocking the road and the snow was too deep to go around. We were about 10 miles from the next exit, where we were planning on getting fuel. Good thing I had two five gal cans full in the sled trailer, plus the sleds were topped off and we had a siphon hose in one of the packs.

Eased that anxiety.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Skimmed through the link. Did not see a potential date for this? Only a mention of a previous project that did not happened that was supposed to start in 2021.

Either way in my opinion by the time this actually happens it will be behind the times. Whether that is behind Tesla or another of the EV startups. All these big car corporations move to damn slow.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I was gettin 21 MPG in my 08 hybrid tahoe pretty much every tank , actually calculated. the other 2 guys I knew that had a tahoe/ yukon that kept track were around 15ish

New cars for sure are getting better and it’s impressive. The wife’s new Palisade got 25.5 mpg on the way down to Champaign. That pretty much matched our small previous suv, and this suv is much bigger.

These new badass transmissions have helped to. Where before we had 4 gears maybe 5.... it seems 8 and 9 speeds are the new norm. Really impressive to see how far things have come.

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
A 400 mile range electric only would be worthless on weekend getaways, road trips, going to the woods with a sled or quad, ect ect. The only people that this would be good for are the people who drive trucks because they like them, not because they need them or actually use them. I feel they are missing a huge segment of potential buyers. with the 8 and 10 speed transmissions they have now they could get close to a 30MPG range in full size trucks and SUVs. The only MAJOR downfall to GMs hybrids was the dumb ass design of shutting oil off to the lifters of the same 4 cylinders and instead of alternating injector pulses between all the cylinders.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
400 mile range is fine, unless they are using 200kwh to achieve that range. Plus relying on all 12 public charging stations out there that can actually charge at a decent rate is terrible because they likely cost as much as gasoline since they are privately owned.

let’s say you need 200kwh to get 400 miles.
Compare that to a vehicle using 100kwh to hit 400 miles. They both charge at say 250kw max. The one with the smaller battery gets double the miles/hr charging that the one with the bigger battery.
Notice this is why GM only ever quotes the ultimate range with their EVs. They don’t want you to realize how inefficient they are compared to somebody like tesla. Not to mention the supercharger network that actually Already exists and is actually easy to use (no apps to download, no accounts to setup, no swiping cards, no codes to remember). There obviously is public charging out there but it’s either slow, “coming soon”, expensive, the wrong type of plug, or just plain non-existent.

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
Damn 22? Trucks have come a long way since I had one. I have a hybrid avalon that I love. Average 39mpgs with a heavy foot in eco mode(sounds like an oxymoron ?) and trips in sport mode. Toyotas got it down pretty well, Highlander hybrid 28mpg, Rav4 hybrid 40mpg, Avalon/ Camry hybrid are 50ish mpg. There is no reason they couldn't make a 30MPG hybrid truck/full size SUV that can tow alot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info