đź“° Auto News Chevy building another sports car based on the C8?

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Corvette sub brand is really really dumb, seems like a move a CEO would make out of desperation just to put their name on something. It's actually sad because they're taking a 70 year legacy name and bastardizing it. These domestic manufacturers are braindead.

• It will include a four-door "coupe" and a sporty high-performance crossover to partner the upcoming two-seater Corvette EV.
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Can't wait to see what god-awful econoboxes GM puts under the corvette banner hoping to cash in on the name. The only thing they could do right, but probably won't, would be to make a badass 4 door like the SS. I just don't see it happening though, and if they do try it they'll botch it in execution

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Corvette sub brand is really really dumb, seems like a move a CEO would make out of desperation just to put their name on something. It's actually sad because they're taking a 70 year legacy name and bastardizing it. These domestic manufacturers are braindead.

• It will include a four-door "coupe" and a sporty high-performance crossover to partner the upcoming two-seater Corvette EV.
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Can't wait to see what god-awful econoboxes GM puts under the corvette banner hoping to cash in on the name. The only thing they could do right, but probably won't, would be to make a badass 4 door like the SS. I just don't see it happening though, and if they do try it they'll botch it in execution
Part of me agrees. The other part me thinks this will make GM a lot of money. Instead of GM turning the trashed Chevrolet brand around from its bland and uninspiring image, they're apparently just going to embrace that and try this Corvette thing. It'll probably work and much quicker. With GMC finally starting to break the mold and actually coming up with its own fancy truck designs, Caddy getting insanely expensive, and Chevy still being as blah and "practical" as ever, the affordable decent performance brand is lacking! After the abomination that was the Camaro, Blazer, and SS, any rumors of a new Chevy performance model release would just be an eye roller.

When you hear all the sub-model names like SS or RS, does that really tell you anything good? Use car guys know to look at actual specs and times but the average consumer will just see a bowtie and assume it's garbage. Corvette though.... those flags on a family hauler might get people lining up!

Reactions: Pro Stock John

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Part of me agrees. The other part me thinks this will make GM a lot of money. Instead of GM turning the trashed Chevrolet brand around from its bland and uninspiring image, they're apparently just going to embrace that and try this Corvette thing. It'll probably work and much quicker. With GMC finally starting to break the mold and actually coming up with its own fancy truck designs, Caddy getting insanely expensive, and Chevy still being as blah and "practical" as ever, the affordable decent performance brand is lacking! After the abomination that was the Camaro, Blazer, and SS, any rumors of a new Chevy performance model release would just be an eye roller.

When you hear all the sub-model names like SS or RS, does that really tell you anything good? Use car guys know to look at actual specs and times but the average consumer will just see a bowtie and assume it's garbage. Corvette though.... those flags on a family hauler might get people lining up!
You think just spinning off a brand will stop them from developing cars that nobody wants (like the camaro and blazer)? Lol

In the end the name doesn't matter, the product does. They've ran the chevy name in to the ground and now corvette will be next. They're already announcing a crossover (smh) and EV corvette...the future is not bright. I'm sure it'll make them some money for a short while (couple years maybe), hence me saying they are cashing in on the name. That doesn't make it a good thing.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Seems that with this move they’re tarnishing the brand and its 70 year history for a cash grab.

1963 split window owner “I own a corvette”.

Some kid “electric or SUV?”

That conversation will happen.
Jorts, pulled up socks, and white NB's are going to be multiplying like crazy with all these new "corvettes"

• Dislike
Reactions: cdh027

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
You think just spinning off a brand will stop them from developing cars that nobody wants (like the camaro and blazer)? Lol

In the end the name doesn't matter, the product does. They've ran the chevy name in to the ground and now corvette will be next. They're already announcing a crossover (smh) and EV corvette...the future is not bright. I'm sure it'll make them some money for a short while (couple years maybe), hence me saying they are cashing in on the name. That doesn't make it a good thing.
Who's they? GM? Of course they will. That's what the Chevy brand is for. Now if they spin the Corvette brand off and pump the same Chevy garbage into that brand as well then sure. I just don't see that happening. Crossovers and EVs do not necessarily have to be boring.

Call me a nut hugger but I would consider an EV SUV more just because it has the Corvette name on it.

Weird way to think. The brand is more important than the product. So you buy based upon impressing others with your purchase. Ok.

. Corvette though.... those flags on a family hauler might get people lining up!

Maybe until they tarnish the name after a couple years so it means nothing even to the traditional nameplate. Hell, base corvette owners are the worst. Only the z models have enthusiast owners, why alienate them too?

going after Porsche with the Corvette name. Im pretty sure Porsche sells more SUVs than 911s for example.

? well if Porsche had another brand they could use like Cadillac then maybe i could see your point

• Haha
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Weird way to think. The brand is more important than the product. So you buy based upon impressing others with your purchase. Ok.

Maybe until they tarnish the name after a couple years so it means nothing even to the traditional nameplate. Hell, base corvette owners are the worst. Only the z models have enthusiast owners, why alienate them too?

? well if Porsche had another brand they could use like Cadillac then maybe i could see your point
GM doesn't give a fuck about enthusiasts anymore. They don't make money on enthusiasts. It's the boomer base model buyers who go to the dealership and empty their wallets.

Remember when GM attempted to claim their tunes and software as intellectual property? Luckily they didn't get far, but the GM was PISSED about enthusiasts changing THEIR rightfully owned cars. If it weren't for GM and John Deere, "Right to Repair" would be a mostly unknown phrase.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
GM doesn't give a fuck about enthusiasts anymore. They don't make money on enthusiasts. It's the boomer base model buyers who go to the dealership and empty their wallets.

Remember when GM attempted to claim their tunes and software as intellectual property? Luckily they didn't get far, but the GM was PISSED about enthusiasts changing THEIR rightfully owned cars. If it weren't for GM and John Deere, "Right to Repair" would be a mostly unknown phrase.
Huge generalization.

Based on the performance models that GM sells, there is some interest over there to sell hipo trucks and cars. But it's in the minority. I don't think most of us really have a handle on how the various GM divisions strategize on what they put forth to the market.

Reactions: Z28Camaro

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010

When did I say I give a shit if other people are impressed with my purchase?

There are PLENTY of Z model owners that aren't enthusiasts. :ROFLMAO: Go to any cruise night and you'll find a handful of Z06 and even ZR1's with stuffed animals in the front seats and murals of tweety bird painted under the hood. Based on my observations on social media, that demographic seems to be the ones losing their shit about a Corvette EV and/or SUV.

Reactions: Rent Free

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
GM a few years back stated that they are a technology company not a car company anymore.

gm missed the opportunity with not making a suv to go up against the Porsche, Audi, BMW, benz, in the sports car suv segment, not to say ford has anything but at least they have tried with ST line, and dodge with SRT.

Just like gm always behind on current trends. But the corvette suv will make up for it…. Right lol

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
GM a few years back stated that they are a technology company not a car company anymore.
wat? Literally everything in their cars that you could consider “technology” is purchased from 3rd party suppliers. Maybe the Ultium battery program is their own. But even the infotainment is made by other companies.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info