đź“° Auto News Chevy building another sports car based on the C8?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
i like the V cars currently.

but of course ain't gon buy one new.

Again, the V isn't a Chevrolet. It is a Cadilac. They said it will be a Chevrolet.

But ya, sedans just aren't selling well in this country. Most want SUV over sedans of wagons. Especially wagons lol

You’d be surprised how they can stretch and modify a chassis and still consider it the same platform.
Think Chevy SSR bring the same as a trailblazer.
Or a sonic sedan being the same as a Bolt

Those are similar vehicles. Not hard to imagine some tweaking to the chassis to make it work. Stretching the frame to make a 4-door car or SUV? Easy-peasy!

We are talking a mid-engine layout. That doesn't allow for very good use of space for either a sedan or SUV. Lengthening the front to make room for an engine, adding a transmission tunnel, redesigning the read half of the chassis, etc. So basically you would be designing a new chassis with some components and lessons learned in the development of the C8.

I mean I am all for them bringing out a new mid-engine/hybrid Typhoon or Cyclone. Please fucking do it! lol I just don't see the point of the mid-engine chassis layout being the starting point for a SUV. Unless you redesign most of it. But hey, GM guys LOVE to brag how they have a "Corvette LS motor swap" in their ride. So a Corvette-based chassis will sound amazing to them to brag about! haha

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
A rear-engine SUV would basically end up looking like a cab-over van. Good luck getting one to pass NHTSB crash testing.

1669131358011.png

VW has been doing something similar for what, 70 years now? Their newest version.

1669131408204.png

Reactions: Rent Free

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Again, the V isn't a Chevrolet. It is a Cadilac. They said it will be a Chevrolet.

But ya, sedans just aren't selling well in this country. Most want SUV over sedans of wagons. Especially wagons lol

Those are similar vehicles. Not hard to imagine some tweaking to the chassis to make it work. Stretching the frame to make a 4-door car or SUV? Easy-peasy!

We are talking a mid-engine layout. That doesn't allow for very good use of space for either a sedan or SUV. Lengthening the front to make room for an engine, adding a transmission tunnel, redesigning the read half of the chassis, etc. So basically you would be designing a new chassis with some components and lessons learned in the development of the C8.

I mean I am all for them bringing out a new mid-engine/hybrid Typhoon or Cyclone. Please fucking do it! lol I just don't see the point of the mid-engine chassis layout being the starting point for a SUV. Unless you redesign most of it. But hey, GM guys LOVE to brag how they have a "Corvette LS motor swap" in their ride. So a Corvette-based chassis will sound amazing to them to brag about! haha

you said "gm trucks" i thought we were talking about gm vehicles as a whole here broski.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

A rear-engine SUV would basically end up looking like a cab-over van. Good luck getting one to pass NHTSB crash testing.

View attachment 141013

VW has been doing something similar for what, 70 years now? Their newest version.

View attachment 141014

Its a body on frame rwd/awd/4wd chassis :rofl: Umm they make 7 passenger SUVs and 2 door pickups that share alot too.

A damn mid engine chassis shares NOTHING with any suv LOL.

i don't get why all yall are so hung up on mid engine.

isn't electric version rumored to have a motor at each wheel or just the rear two?

boom mid engine "issue" gone.

im really agreeing with Stink Star Stink Star-here--- full ev suv.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
i don't get why all yall are so hung up on mid engine.

isn't electric version rumored to have a motor at each wheel or just the rear two?

boom mid engine "issue" gone.

im really agreeing with Stink Star Stink Star-here--- full ev suv.

Its not the engine problem its a seating problem. Id love to see you stuff 4 or more seats in a 2 seater mid engine chassis. Itd be far easier to go to a motor per corner than rearrange the seating layout.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

I'd love to see the C8 with an AWD configuration. I think GM's in-wheel motors were pretty heavy. Like 80 pounds each? At least the ones I remember them testing in a truck or SUV a while back. So not sure that is where I'd want all that weight in a sports car. Giving up the frunk for a central motor and driveshafts would probably work better for turning quickness and steering feel.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'd love to see the C8 with an AWD configuration. I think GM's in-wheel motors were pretty heavy. Like 80 pounds each? At least the ones I remember them testing in a truck or SUV a while back. So not sure that is where I'd want all that weight in a sports car. Giving up the frunk for a central motor and driveshafts would probably work better for turning quickness and steering feel.

i mean c8 with awd electric is like almost for sure happening i thought?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Whatever it is, it will have an interior that looks like it came straight out of a chevy spark with tacky splashes of red leather. They’ll probably use some sort of technology that has been used by the Italians and Germans for the last ten years and claim it’s groundbreaking.

The good news is that since it’ll be made full of cheap plastics it’ll be light with a strong engine so it’ll be fast.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
i mean c8 with awd electric is like almost for sure happening i thought?

I haven't been following its development. It would make sense. And that video shows that is where they are headed. So that's cool. Hopefully, it isn't just for the top-end 1,000hp model.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
can't they just sit where the engine/transaxle was.

How are you going to add doors and seats to this existing structure/chassis?

Look at the rear suspension and bulkhead/firewall behind where the existing c8 seats are.

Going to an EV SUV or Wagon I dont see how trying to bandaide something off this chassis makes any sense.

Next lets try turn a dumptruck into a ferrari.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
How are you going to add doors and seats to this existing structure/chassis?

Look at the rear suspension and bulkhead/firewall behind where the existing c8 seats are.

Going to an EV SUV or Wagon I dont see how trying to bandaide something off this chassis makes any sense.

Next lets try turn a dumptruck into a ferrari.
Done

1669134666006.png

• Haha
Reactions: Rent Free

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info