Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
According to the Wisconsin dealership, the ZZ632/1000 Chevrolet Performance Big Block (part number 19432060) comes with a suggested retail price of $37,758.72 with a discounted price of $29,499. Muscle Cars & Trucks pointed out that the ZZ632 Big Block V8 is over twice as pricier than the defunct 755 LT5 V8 crate engine, priced at around $18,000.

In comparison, Chevy's new crate engine is pricier than Hellephant’s $29,995 price tag, which needed another $2,265 for the engine installation kit.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Almost $11K higher than my guess for MSRP and $2.5K higher for the discounted price.

giphy.gif

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
My question is what's the cost to build something similar? I mean there's not a lot of parts for a BBC that aren't made aftermarket and would a builder be similar results and better economics? I'd think the difference between this and something custom built would be 5K+ price wise but it's been a long time since I even really looked.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
That’s a shit ton of money, after buying a gm zz502 and reading about them quite a bit I’ve found that they almost never dyno the advertised hp if I had to do it all again on my boat I’d go with a different crate motor company, or just buy the short block, the gm shot blocks are bulletproof

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
My question is what's the cost to build something similar? I mean there's not a lot of parts for a BBC that aren't made aftermarket and would a builder be similar results and better economics? I'd think the difference between this and something custom built would be 5K+ price wise but it's been a long time since I even really looked.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
That’s a shit ton of money, after buying a gm zz502 and reading about them quite a bit I’ve found that they almost never dyno the advertised hp if I had to do it all again on my boat I’d go with a different crate motor company, or just buy the short block, the gm shot blocks are bulletproof
All those blue print engines Engine Masters dyno’d almost always hit or exceed the rated number.

Reactions: 1quick

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

MEFI 4 on a guys zz in an Astro and the stock tune was rich as fuck. Cost him a set of pistons.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I wonder what kind of performance you'd get if you dropped off a check for $36k with Nelson Racing Engines and said I want 1000hp.

For $3k less than the 1,000 hp GM crate motor you can get a 1,000 hp LS 2.9L Whipple motor.

https://nelsonracingengines.com/collections/crate-engines/products/nre-ls-427-2-9-crate-motor

Or for about $500 less, you can get a 427 LS with twins that makes 1,100 hp on pump gas or 1,500 hp on race gas.

For about the same money as the 1,000 hp crate engine, you can get a 4.0L Whipple 427ci LS motor that makes 1,150 hp to the flywheel.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010

Yeah, at the $30k price point I'd definitely just be getting something built to my exact desires/specs.

I'm guessing this motor is just like their other crate motors - marketed towards boomers who are going to drop one in their show car and idle it around at car shows.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Like I told emerballs last night, I appreciate it, but I do not like the attention 3rd GEns are getting.. That means more people are going to want them and soon I'll feel like I'm driving a scatratdevilsredeye392 charchalynger

maybe popular on the interwebz but I doubt you will see more on the road in the salt belt known as IL and IN.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info