Chevrolet Colorado ZR2

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Decade and a half ago? lol My 2001 Z71 was probably the same size. That went till what, 2010 or so?

Ya, The bottom of the wheel wells stop at about 3/4 or higher of the rim. The back is pretty close to the top of the rim.

2006. that body came out in 99. it's 2018. i know you're in denial cuz you're 78 years old bro but it's okay.

:s00ls:

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
We had a diesel Z71 at work yesterday, got a chance to look it over and drive it around. It wasn't as slow as I expected. However, the short box looked pretty freaking tiny, although he did have a box in it. I still have yet to see a ZR2 in the wild, and the dealer laughed at me when I jokingly asked for one as a loaner while my car was in for its fifth attempt at a brake squeal fix. I knew they didn't have one, but figured maybe they'd be able to toss me a diesel or something. Nope. Malibu LT it is, because "we try to put you in the car that most closely matches what you have". Ok.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
cater to this person who bought one of our few enthusiast vehicles ?

nah let's insult him instead :rofl:

I also told them I was very interested in buying one, and that's why I'd like to drive it in the first place. They didn't really care too much. Basically, "the salesmen are over there" kind of deal. I kind of look like a bum so maybe that had something to do with it too.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
YBXQVC.jpg

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/733872261/overview/

$40,8XX

And it's just a few miles away from Mom. I could pretend I'm going home to visit, two birds with one stone.

I kind of like white or the green the best on these though. Or blue, but that's extra.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
length and width sure, but im talking how jacked they are, they are lifted significantly from the factory.

The roofline on my Colorado is just an inch or so shorter than my coworkers 2018 Silverado and looks way lifted compared to it too. Parked next to a previous gen Colorado last week and it was surprising just how big the current gen really is.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
We had a diesel Z71 at work yesterday, got a chance to look it over and drive it around. It wasn't as slow as I expected. However, the short box looked pretty freaking tiny, although he did have a box in it. I still have yet to see a ZR2 in the wild, and the dealer laughed at me when I jokingly asked for one as a loaner while my car was in for its fifth attempt at a brake squeal fix. I knew they didn't have one, but figured maybe they'd be able to toss me a diesel or something. Nope. Malibu LT it is, because "we try to put you in the car that most closely matches what you have". Ok.

there is no fix for your brake squeal. we all went through it. just put Pontiac G8 GXP (6.2L LS3) Ceramic brake pads on.

you're welcome

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Didn’t know you guys had these rear brakes.

I don’t blame the techs, they never once even attempted it. They always didn’t have enough paste or didn’t have caliper bolts even though I asked the SA to please make sure they did before I confirmed any appointments after the second time. Fourth visit, I was told GM had upped the quantity required between the scheduled appointment and the visit, which I’d believe because that span was over the entire winter, which lasted forever. I know shit happens with a car like this... which is a big reason I like a Colorado.

And thank you.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin

I'm surprised you even got that. Most dealers don't even offer their own stock of vehicles (be it dedicated loaners fleet, or just taking something from inventory), because GM prefers to run it through Enterprise at a certain cost per day based on the kind of vehicle you bring in. That's how ours was and that was 20 years ago. GM doesn't care if you have a 400+ HP V8 in your sedan. Just that it's a sedan of comparable size. And then you're limited to what Enterprise has available.

Why? Liability. We had too many of our own dealer vehicles wrapped around light poles, one drunk wreck, and a couple other things.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I get I’m lucky to get a loaner but I’d go somewhere closer if I didn’t. I just thought it was funny especially considering all the “Is that the new Malibu” comments. The visibility out the back of that thing is awful BTW.

I wouldn’t be considering another Chevy if I thought they had actually done anything bad, I wasn’t blasting anyone. I expected “no”s for all kinds of decent reasons.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
i got a brand new MDX loaner from acura no questions asked for an airbag recall. called to make an appointment and they offered the loaner. didn't buy the car from that dealer chain either.
on the flipside, when i bought my "certified" GTO and brought it back a week later for them to fix all the oil leaks that were conveniently missed the chevy dealer wouldn't give me a loaner.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Ok so the Bison got announced, it won't be coming from Chevy but from AEV aftermarket. Will it be like the Black Widow trucks that you'll see on lots or will you have to buy the truck and send it off to AEV?

Official press release: https://media.chevrolet.com/media/u...ent/Pages/news/us/en/2018/sep/0906-bison.html
DETROIT — The Colorado ZR2 Bison joins Chevrolet’s midsize truck lineup as an all-new performance variant. Bison is Chevy’s first collaboration with American Expedition Vehicles (AEV), a premium off-road aftermarket manufacturer.

Through constant innovation, Chevy has gained more than a quarter of all midsize truck sales in less than four years in the marketplace. In consecutive years, Colorado introduced the segment’s first diesel engine (excludes other GM vehicles), an all-new V-6 gas engine/eight-speed transmission combo, the ZR2 “segment of one” off-roader and now the Bison.

For maximum protection of key undercarriage elements while driving over rocky, jagged terrain, Bison features five skid plates covering the engine oil pan, fuel tank, transfer case and front and rear locking differentials. Designed by AEV, these skid plates are constructed of hard, durable hot-stamped Boron steel.

AEV-designed stamped steel front and rear bumpers further shield the truck from obstacles. The front bumper contains winch provisions and standard fog lights, with recovery points integrated into the rear bumper.

“More and more enthusiasts are discovering that Colorado is ideal for off-roading, especially overland travel,” said Sandor Piszar, director of Marketing, Chevrolet Truck.

“The Colorado Z71 offers a full suite of off-road equipment, the maneuverability of a midsize truck and the driving range of a class-exclusive diesel engine. The Colorado ZR2 offers even greater off-road capability with class-exclusive front and rear locking differentials and Multimatic DSSVTM dampers. And now, Bison offers customers an even more extreme turnkey off-road truck ready to tackle your next adventure.”

An exclusive, flow-through “CHEVROLET” lettered grille replaces the traditional bowtie on Bison’s front end. The 31-inch Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac off-road tires sit beneath larger fender flares and wrap all-new, ZR2 Bison-specific 17 x 8-inch aluminum wheels.

This new Colorado variant also features “Bison” decals on the bed sides, an “AEV Bison” logo on the tailgate and embroidered AEV logo floor liners and front head restraints.

“We’ve been following Colorado since its introduction, and the ZR2 really captured our attention,” said Dave Harriton, founder and president of AEV. “As this is the first Chevrolet vehicle we’ve given the AEV treatment to, we wanted to do something special with the industry’s first use of hot-stamped Boron steel. We also expect that Colorado drivers will love the added ruggedness of our front and rear bumpers on ZR2 Bison.”

The ZR2 Bison also duplicates the full equipment list of the Colorado ZR2, including, but not limited to:

Class-exclusive front and rear locking electronic differentials.
Revolutionary, segment-exclusive Multimatic DSSVTM dampers.
Off-road rocker protection.
Cast-iron control arms.
Autotrac transfer case.

Like ZR2, Bison also features a modified rear axle with a 3.42 ratio, front and rear tracks widened by 3.5 inches and a factory suspension lifted 2 inches over a Colorado Z71.

Available options on Bison include:

2.8L Duramax Turbo-Diesel engine paired with a six-speed automatic transmission, capable of 186 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque.
Choice of crew- or extended cab configurations (including short and long beds, respectively).

Customers will also be able to purchase an available third-party accessory snorkel for ZR2 Bison from AEV, ideal for air filtration while driving on dusty trails. This feature is compatible with all Colorado pickup variants.

The 2019 Colorado ZR2 Bison goes on sale in January 2019, modified for extreme off-road use and backed by a full factory limited warranty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2XxLPBqeYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69vXouG9L8o

AEV site: https://www.aev-conversions.com/zr2-bison/

la7sKk.jpg

8maP0F.jpg

uHJPbK.jpg

Gets more functional front and rear bumpers, more skidplates, different wheels with the same size tires, same suspension, same driveline, aaaaaaand a plethora of badges. Also a sand snorkel and larger flares. Not a huge fan of the grille but some people really like it.

I wonder if the flares will help with all the crap that's kicked up with the wider track of the ZR2. I also wonder how much this package is going to run on top of the cost of the truck.... I was hoping for a lot more in the package, not that I was going to get it anyway, but relocated rear shock mounts at the axle would have been nice, as would have been 33s if they were doing their own wheels anyway.... but then they'd need to bend/trim/level to make them fit all the way so maybe I can see why they didn't do that.

It's a far cry from the concept that had been floating around.

There's a BDS lift coming out that will allow 35s to fit with stock dampers. More coin and more lift than I'd like ideally but it's the only solution I know of that gets those mounts up higher on the axle and uses the OE shocks.

EDIT: Dang one of those skids is the fuel tank skid. Can't get that anywhere right now AFAIK. I wonder if it'll fit with the titan tank. That would be pretty sweet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info