• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Charging up the AC help needed

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
So, I got a new compressor in - and am about to install it. I know that if I leave the ac off it is safe to run the car like that, but I would want to have AC in there again so I am looking to charge it up. My question is if I can just get some refrigerant (& oil mix) from the store, and hook it up to the Low pressure side of the line with the compressor running - or do I have to have special tools to fill the system up (deareate it & such... ) Any input is welcome :biggthump

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Adding some refrigerant with the oil is fine. If you leave the a/c off it will not cycle the compressor. Not sure about this one, but some cars will cycle the compressor with the defroster as well. To fill it properly they will put the system on vacuum for 10 to 30 minutes. If it holds then they know there is no leaks. This will also aid in filling the system. So don't cry about the can you put in being gone. lol Small money anyways.

Unless you cleaned out the whole system there should be a lot of oil left in the old parts too.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
WHOA -

You didn't say anything about pulling a vacuum on the system before adding refrigerant.
You have to get all the air OUT of the lines down to a very low vacuum first.
If air is present in the system it won't work right and even if a relatively small amount of air is left behind you will damage the system in a short amount of time.

If you Don't have a vacuum pump, these are about the least expensive pumps that will pull enough vacuum to get you where you need to be -
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=refrigerant+vacuum&Submit=Go

Venomblue22

If you only knew
Mar 7, 2005
if you dont have it sucked down there is a possibility it will damage the system. Air needs to be out, if there is an air bubble in the system, its like having one in your cooling system, it will want to burp, but unlike you cooling sytem it cant cuase its a closed sytem so the air will probally make it to the compressor and theres a chance youll burn up the compressor.

stock-t-bird

THORNTON QUARRY
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2008
Thornton Quarry
I just did the same thing youa re asking about to my 94 Town car.
I bought the $39 kit from Advance, charge it up and the AC is cold as ice.
Most refrigerants have the oil added in.

I did not use a vacuum first.
adding refrigerant to a leaky system is fine to get you through summer,but if lines have been exposed to air/moisture can create a problem.
air/moisture is an enemy to any a/c system,that is the purpose of the vac pump.
do it once/do it right if you want a/c this summer,if summer ever arrives

VIPERKILLER

ViperKiller Inc.Since '99
Apr 11, 2006
so all air has to be expelled first... got it. I guess that I'll just cough up the $200 that dealership is asking for then :/

Lukasz auto in schaumburg charged me only 82.95 for the re-charge. I was about to plunk down 200 or 190 to the dealer or firestone, as well.

Just curious though, how much did the new compressor set you back? you're doing it yourself? what is the process for something like that, is it easy to get to?

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
Lukasz auto in schaumburg charged me only 82.95 for the re-charge. I was about to plunk down 200 or 190 to the dealer or firestone, as well.

Just curious though, how much did the new compressor set you back? you're doing it yourself? what is the process for something like that, is it easy to get to?

+1 for lukasz automotive

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
Not proud to admit it but I discharged the AC line throiugh the low pressure side & disposed of it in an environmentally friendly way :) COmpressor removal was very easy. You remove the drive belt much like you would do with the supercharger belt. There is a tensioner pulley really close to the AC compressor, and that should give you enough slack to remove the belt off of the compressor. There is also a small fitting on the bottom of the compressor that will allowyou to bleed it out completely and relieve any remaining pressure. Then it is just 3 13mm bolts that attach the compressor to the engine, and one bolt that holds the ac lines (small distribution block) attached to the AC. That bugger will be tight, and is a 10mm bolt... Assembly procedure is same, just make sure you are using new o-rings, and fit everything right before you tighten down on that 10mm bolt.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info