Changing my oil

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
Comin up on 3200 miles since my last oil change. I got the idea in my head that instead of paying someone else to do it, I would learn to do it myself. Feed a man a fish... something to pass along to my son (if I ever have one)... ya know.

Does anyone here know of a place where I can learn to change my oil? I've actually asked a lot of my friends if they change their own oil or knew how, but no luck. So I turn to the enormous expertise of TCG.

Thanks,
Aaron

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
Yep, that's basically it!

The hardest part of this job would probably be finding/taking out the oil filter if it's your first time. You'll need an oil filter wrench (I use the craftsman one, works great!) to take off the filter and to put it back in, just hand tighten it good as hell.

I also lube up the top of the new oil filter but don't think that's necessary, just the way I learned it. Good luck with it!

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Yep, that's basically it!

The hardest part of this job would probably be finding/taking out the oil filter if it's your first time. You'll need an oil filter wrench (I use the craftsman one, works great!) to take off the filter and to put it back in, just hand tighten it good as hell.

oil filter wrench is only required if someone put your filter on too tight, it should be abl eto be removed by hand, to add to what was said above, some cars have a drain on the tranny pan too, make sure you're draining the engine oil, not the trans fluid.......

I also lube up the top of the new oil filter but don't think that's necessary, just the way I learned it. Good luck with it!

It is usually necessary to put a little oil on that o-ring that is at the top of the filter, it makes for easier assembly, and ensures a good seal to the mating surface

Freddy

Addict
Jan 15, 2008
Chicago
Dude, weren't you still in class with me when I presented "how to do an oil change"!? lol I had two other classmates that later came saying that they actually learned from me. It's really easy, just google it up or have someone do/show you. If I'm out in the burbs one of these days I can help you out. A lot easier than people think.

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
Captain planet right here. What do you think he's going to do, dump it in a storm drain? Autozone takes up to 2 of those 5 qt jugs at a time.

Well damn buddy, if he doesn't know how to change the shit how the hell will he know how to dispose of the shit. I bet he was thinking of putting it in milk jugs and tossing it out in the weekly garbage. And I am not the first person the run and hug trees but come on.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Plenty of people don't change their own oil {expletive deleted}.
But this guy asked and wants to learn so stop {expletive deleted}, I guess you knew how to change your oil while you were still in the {expletive deleted} right {expletive deleted}.
not sure what your trying to say. but i was taking care of my own transportation starting when i was like 6 years old, started with putting extra batteries in my powerwheels. i BUILD my first car('67 gto that i bought in pieces) when i was 14.

:hsugh:

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
not sure what your trying to say. but i was taking care of my own transportation starting when i was like 6 years old, started with putting extra batteries in my powerwheels. i BUILD my first car('67 gto that i bought in pieces) when i was 14.

:hsugh:
We're happy for ya! :)

I was trying to say it's the complete opposite time to dig into a guy that WANTS to learn and even quotes a f'in Bible story about teaching/learning, just so you can talk tough and make yourself feel better. None of us was born with automotive knowledge.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info