Changing my oil

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Wouldn't hurt to prefill the filter either! :)

Just use some of one of the quarts you're going to refill the engine with to fill the filter up a bit. If it is installed on an angle, make sure you're not going to just pour out the new oil when you go to reinstall the filter.

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
:( I didn't expect all the harsh criticism. I was just raised differently I guess. My dad was never a car guy, so I never learned anything from him. Automotives were never a big thing for my family. It was always just, "Take it to the dealer" or "Take it to Firestone". And the reason I'm here isn't really because I'm an automotive hobbyist... it's because I love to drive. Pardon me for enjoying the experience of driving without knowing how to fix my own car. But honestly, you trying to make me feel bad for that is like criticizing people for enjoying watching television without knowing how to repair a TV. So just back off hombre.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
On the 2.7-liter Intrepid it should be extremely easy. It's been a long time since I've worked at a quick lube place but IIRC the oil filter and drain plug are right next to each other. The oil filter is mounted vertically on the driver's side of the oil pan, and the oil pan should be notched to clear the oil filter. Because it's mounted vertically, filling it with oil up prior to spinning it back on -- like Eagle mentioned -- isn't a bad idea.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
Prefilling the filter can't hurt I guess, but overkill, and not practical for horizontal filters. Definitely lube the new o-ring surface with a couple drops so it doesn't rip on installation and make sure the old o-ring is on the old filter and not still stuck the the engine. Be anal about making sure the dipstick and oil cap are both put back in place afterwards.
There are many simple things you can forget in such a mundane routine, that could be catastrophic.

Use a jackstand please! Unless you're He-Man and can lift that Intrepid off yer head.
Put a couple inches of white teflon tape around the threads of the oil plug before reinstalling, the trick is to wind it on opposite the threads, so the tail end doesn't bunch itself up when first twisting.

Since this is your first time try and loosen the the filter a bit first before draining the oil in case you need to get the right filter socket cup- or just use a rubber strap wrench or conventional metal strap wrench.

Purolator from PepBoys makes the best filter, Fram sucks but does have a nice grippy surface, the regular Purolator is fine no need to spring for the "premium" Purolator PureOne. Install the new filter by hand as tight as you can- that's enough, no more. Don't be tempted to grab your filter wrench and tighten it more.

POS Neon

Wang So Hard You Get Heart Mumer
May 10, 2009
NorthLake
People on this site seem to always jump on someone when they ask for help. Just ignore this criticisms and accept the offers. Like James said, make sure you are anal about the cap and dipstick. First time i changed the oil in my truck, no one showed me and i completely didn't put the cap on and didn't have the filter on tight enough, almost locked the engine. Make sure you double check your work.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Don't feel bad dude... everyone has to learn at some point. I am not mechanically-inclined at all. Working on my motor scares the shit out of me because I always fear that I am going to miss some minute detail and really mess it up. Whenever I have done something for the first time on my GTP, I always had someone with me who has done it because I wanted to play it safe. I usually check my work 2-3 times before I call it quits.

Not everyone is a born mechanic... I am better at the white collar work versus blue collar work... that's what my job pays me do to. My cars are my hobbies and I learn when I have the time.

Good luck with the oil change.

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
Just do it. Figure it out yourself, you'll learn more that way, instead of just following a procedure.

pete_Rose.jpg

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Also, I only fill up the filter half way VS all the way when replacing it.

I wish I could fill mine up at least half-way, but my filter is COMPLETELY sideways, so whatever I try to put in is just dumped out. I try and get as much soaked into the filter element as possible, and maybe a 1/4 at most standing, then try to put it on and see how much just falls out.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
the focus is the same way....the filter actually points in a downwards angle on the back side of the block. its horrible. i just lube up the o-ring with oil and hope for the best.

the subaru is perfectly vertical and i fill it up all the way with oil before installing it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info