đź’¦ Detailing Ceramic Coating Removed - WG Sealant Applied

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
So in Aug/Sep '18 i decided to find out what the hype was all about and ceramic coat my dad150. It did a good job of protecting the paint for over a year, but isn't worth it IMO.

Ceramic coating gripes:
1. High spots. I was very careful, but still within 40-50 seconds of applying the coating high spots had already started to form. I think this was mostly because of the brand I used (blackfire), i just watched my friend apply Wolfgang ceramic coating and even 2-3 mins after application it was completely liquid. Sooooo my issue there seems more related to coating choice and imperfect application, still a gripe nonetheless. I just left them because they weren't really visible in sunlight, only in certain shade, and I wanted the paint protection over winter
2. Etched in water spots. I'm not sure how this happened as there were NO water spots when I applied the coating (buffed the truck 2x beforehand) and I let it sit inside for 24 hours after application. I had to buff these out today (yes, over a year later). Finishing polish wouldn't get them out, I ended up using blackfire SRC compound. I've never had that happen with another vehicle ever.
3. It was not smooth...literally never felt smooth at all. I know ceramic coating isn't supposed to, but it's just not for me

Sooooo I decided it was time to get rid of the ceramic and try wolfgang sealant headed in to this winter. I buffed it off with SRC compound and a finishing pad and the paint underneath still looked flawless, so I didn't need to do any more buffing before applying the sealant. Grabbed a red pad and got started with the WG sealant.

This i the only "before" pic, before I took off the high spots (you can see them just to the left of the reflection of my arm and hand). If you zoom, you can also see some water spots, some of which were etched in.
LOhE8gk.jpg

Now on to the better stuff...after buffing the ceramic off then applying the sealant. This stuff is GREAT....I love how smooth it is and how easy the application is. Literally just buff it on and wiped it off 30 mins later. I wonder how long it'll last

XE5zGMc.jpg

TsSKKDI.jpg

9npWRna.jpg

gftPeT0.jpg

sP9O3Hd.jpg

Last edited:

HellPIG

TCG Elite Member
Sep 13, 2012
Mount Prospect
Ceramic is king.....it has some bug a boos, but it is all prep related mainly. Also the environment it is applied in comes into play. You have to work in small spots and be really quick at wiping it up. I do have some "engraved" water marks in a spot on my rear quarter, but it is only visible to "me". The car does not feel like there is any wax on it all, which is confusing to most. You see the immediate result though when you spray with water. Nothing sticks to it "hard". Bugs, asphalt tar, sap, road grime, etc. Either sprays off or wipes off easy. I wasn't sold in the beginning either, until I had it in place. Well worth not having to keep up the paint over and over.

Reactions: crooks

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Water spots are a concern with ceramic coatings. I have not experienced them, thankfully.
The silica spray sealants help with the slickness. Applying Cquartz UK and UK 3.0, both needed the directed application of Reload to provide the slick surface. This also helps with water spotting in the first 7 days.
Watching Obsessed Garage's videos Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light leaves a slick surface. I ordered some to apply to my dad's new truck ( if it ever comes back from the dealer...dodge / uconnect radio FTL ).
WG is my go to sealant, the look and feel is tough to beat.

Truck looks good (y)

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info