CDL B Jobs?

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Anyone out there know of any openings for a 21 year old with a CDL B with air brakes endorsement? Over 3 years of driving a box truck (wasn't heavy enough for a CDL to be required only 16k #)

I'm bored out of my mind. I've applied at the garbage places but none have openings they say (my buddies have told me they do all the hiring in the spring so I figured it was a long shot getting in right away). Only 1 accident not long after I got my drivers license no ticket issued. Not a crazy list of tickets. Most have been taken away with court supervision or nonmovers

I thought taking a break from working for the winter would be cool. It's not. It's insanely boring. I've been thinking of going to one of the OTR trucking companies that give you your A class but then not only is the pay pretty bad but I wouldn't even get to see my cars for weeks at a time. Also being debating over hopping back into the mattress industry in the sales part but IDK if I could do that to myself. I'm not good at flat out trying to screw people over like that.

Pay doesn't need to be great seeing as it'd be my first CDL job but I'd like it to be reasonable at least. Don't mind working nights or weekends if needed or doing short OTR runs (like a few days out not whole weeks). Prefer no touch but don't mind doing touch at warehouses and crap. Just can't do that going into peoples houses and having to bust your back trying to bend a king size mattress weighing well over 100# up a tiny stairwell

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I used to drive a garbage truck about 20 years ago, and I stayed in the waste industry in sales for about 15 years after that. It's quite a bit easier now with all the mechanical assist arms and such.

As you mentioned, they usually hire again in the spring for the start of yard waste season. Once you get in and a part of the union, it's a good job to stick with. Clean driving record is a must.

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Garbage pays pretty good actually IIRC.

My dad has his A class and is an OO. Used to make big bucks. Not so much anymore. Too many foreign guys coming from over the pond doing the work for nothing driving all the prices down then going back and sending their buddys over. Or the owners of some companies (Black Horse is one of them IIRC) go over to their countrys and recruit the people directly. Still don't pay them shit but its more then they make there. My dad said he'd sell me his truck and get me to work for his company but the whole things doing down the pooper

I will eventually get my A class but just for personal reasons. IE a 60's Mack B Model

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Tovar snow is always looking for drivers of their big salt trucks CDL B with airbrakes.
$23/hr, only seasonal though but would get you some money till spring. I'm a manager there so hit me up if you want

Do you guys usually do a nice amount of work? (When it's not a shitty winter like the past few years) Because I was thinking about doing this too. My towns only paying $21/hr for the CDL drivers doing it. Where are they located? I don't want to make an hour trip to McHenry whenever its snowing. Would take me like 2hrs in snow probably

@Slowbuick. No.... Get back to recovering MFer

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
How clean are they looking for? Like squeaky clean nothing or like not getting multiple tickets each year?
Well, if the safety manager is comparing numerous applicants, those with the fewest minor violations will be viewed more favorably, obviously.

If you've got anything major (speeding more than 20+over) or accidents or anything that shows a trend of recklessness, you will have difficulty getting hired over someone with a clean record. Unless you know somebody at the company or have a very good explanation, but don't expect to BS your way through a bad record.

I would definitely give examples of a strong work ethic and defensive driving habits that you exhibit on a regular basis when it comes time for any interviews.

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
I don't think I have any speeding over 20 and only had the one accident back when I first got my license and I've driven I'd say over 60k miles easy at the last place I work for 3 years. IDK if they can see the accident seeing as there was no ticket and as far as I can see on my drivers record I got from the DMV I'm not seeing it but I've been putting it on applications still to be honest. Hopefully me driving that many miles will help me and the fact my old work was driving the truck and carrying things over 100 pounds all day long to show I can lift the crap the arms can't lift and I don't exactly change jobs often. Only had 3 jobs so far from 16 years old and 1 wasn't really a "job" job it was just like an internship thing.

But like I said problem with my driving experience I have was the box truck was under CDL requirements

04mach1

NO SUCH THING AS TO FAST
Apr 25, 2007
Mchenry
Do you guys usually do a nice amount of work? (When it's not a shitty winter like the past few years) Because I was thinking about doing this too. My towns only paying $21/hr for the CDL drivers doing it. Where are they located? I don't want to make an hour trip to McHenry whenever its snowing. Would take me like 2hrs in snow probably

@Slowbuick. No.... Get back to recovering MFer

they have shops all over illinois, a primary salt driver gets a lot of hours with pretreating sites, thaw and refreeze salting. I could get you in my area but its north lake county. otherwise I could get you in touch with some guys but I can promise they will use you or how much they will use you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info