Cash-starved Sears is putting everything on sale

Intel

Reaction score
They only take Discover Card ;)

I've heard that rumor here too. Turning it in to a retirement home. There is plenty of space to walk in this complex. It's all interconnected. It's almost like a big mall and then they can go right to their room to sleep.

An article in Crains not to long ago was talking about how the corporate suburban sprawl that took place years ago (Sears obviously being one of them), is reversing itself, not only here in Chicago, but other cites, and that all those corporates are moving back in to the city, so all these large real estate complexes are virtually worth little compared to what it was a decade or two ago, and now there is a surge in them. Just along 90 alone you have the old Motorola complex in Schaumburg, then a little further west the AT&T complex, then us... More demand than need and no one to fill them.

This has been happening for a while now, Mcdonalds, Motorola, Kraft, Walgreens have all started or already made the move to chicago. My company opened offices in the mercantile mart for our internet teams which have younger people. Takeda is moving to Boston.

Hoffman Estates approved a Metroburb for the AT&T complex.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Oh man, I won't be abducted late some night... They're replacing light bulbs. :D

Replacing lights.jpg

radioguy6

Reaction score
I've heard that rumor here too. Turning it in to a retirement home. There is plenty of space to walk in this complex. It's all interconnected. It's almost like a big mall and then they can go right to their room to sleep.

An article in Crains not to long ago was talking about how the corporate suburban sprawl that took place years ago (Sears obviously being one of them), is reversing itself, not only here in Chicago, but other cites, and that all those corporates are moving back in to the city, so all these large real estate complexes are virtually worth little compared to what it was a decade or two ago, and now there is a surge in them. Just along 90 alone you have the old Motorola complex in Schaumburg, then a little further west the AT&T complex, then us... More demand than need and no one to fill them.
I heard retirement home as well, and that's probably the best plan for Hoffman instead of rezoning it for residential or mixed use. Schaumburg has been planning a redevelopment of the vacant Motorola campus for a while, and its slowing turning into a new entertainment district. Chicago is enticing these businesses back with massive tax breaks/freezes that they cant pass up. Combine that with the suburbs lack of public transportation options and younger talent already in the city, many of which prefer to work in the city than drive into the suburbs. And some dont even own a car.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
My place got lured to the city but barely, just outside Rosemont so we are at the end of the blue line....

The Italian

But not Italian
Donating Member
Reaction score
My biological half-brother just got a loss prevention job at a Sears in Florida. I asked him if he was aware its a dying brand. I give it six months before he gets laid off.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
No one can prevent the loss that is happening there....

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
well, did they??
Hell no!

My biological half-brother just got a loss prevention job at a Sears in Florida. I asked him if he was aware its a dying brand. I give it six months before he gets laid off.
If they're not looking to invest in a career here, sometimes a job is a job and keeps money coming in. 6 months, a year, then move on anyway.

The Italian

But not Italian
Donating Member
Reaction score
Sad part is, he is looking for a steady career. But at the end of the day, I'm just happy he has an income.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom