Carvana to Boost Capacity, Betting Online Car Sales Are Here to Stay

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
So as a buyer in the autoworld for the past decade, I've been following Carvana's progress. My personal experience is that they typically overpay at auctions and for buying people's cars compared to most dealers. This allows them to get a bunch of inventory. Stuff they don't want to keep, they just sell at auctions. They recondition vehicles on their own to keep those costs down. They are typically competitive when selling vehicles on the retail market, but not always. But while they are reporting a gross profit per unit, they continually report losing money on their year end financials with a net loss time after time. Their annual losses last year were $460 million. I believe the key to them staying in business is that they are making money on the financing side of it. They are essentially a finance company that happens to sell cars.
I wish I had bought some of their stock last year at this time when it tumbled to $22-$30. Lately, it's been in the $280 to $300 range, but dropping a bit.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
So as a buyer in the autoworld for the past decade, I've been following Carvana's progress. My personal experience is that they typically overpay at auctions and for buying people's cars compared to most dealers. This allows them to get a bunch of inventory. Stuff they don't want to keep, they just sell at auctions. They recondition vehicles on their own to keep those costs down. They are typically competitive when selling vehicles on the retail market, but not always. But while they are reporting a gross profit per unit, they continually report losing money on their year end financials with a net loss time after time. Their annual losses last year were $460 million. I believe the key to them staying in business is that they are making money on the financing side of it. They are essentially a finance company that happens to sell cars.
I wish I had bought some of their stock last year at this time when it tumbled to $22-$30. Lately, it's been in the $280 to $300 range, but dropping a bit.
That’s just how new businesses operate these days when they’re funded by venture capital. Sink massive capital into growth at a rapid pace. Amazon didn’t turn a profit for 14 years and it’s revenue was over $1b

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
But Amazon had a market to itself once it got facilities up and running Carvana has Carmax. Who makes money on the backside with their own auctions. Has their own financial company. Ownership in the warranty company. Investments in repair facilities and price reporting. They also have done well with new car sales over the years should they make a decision to go back that direction.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
That’s just how new businesses operate these days when they’re funded by venture capital. Sink massive capital into growth at a rapid pace. Amazon didn’t turn a profit for 14 years and it’s revenue was over $1b
Carvana's continued growth is likely going to shrink unless they can keep expanding into lower populated areas, though, as they are in most of the major markets already. But with more consumers being willing to turn to online sales, it's an opportunity for Carvana to keep up their public profile, increase sales, and eventually turn a profit.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Something is up with CarMax at the moment, inventory has been much lower then in the past, and they have sold off a few of their new car dealerships that they owned.
They've been in the process of getting out of the new car game for the past few years, as the profit margins for new cars aren't worth extending their contracts with those manufacturers, and they had to abide by the manufacturer programs instead of their own game plan. There was some benefit to their used car business line to be able to attend "manufacturer only" auctions in order to source lease returns and other factory type vehicles, but those perks weren't worth the rest of the headaches associated with being a "new car" store.

Also, used car demand is skyrocketing due to shortages in new car inventory due to manufacturing shortages. So car dealerships that traditionally rely on new car sales are having to source used cars. This is driving up the competition and cost of used cars. As a result, many places are lower on inventory than normal. As an individual, now is a GREAT time to sell your used car to a dealer to get a peak value. It's not a good time to go buy one however as you'll be paying higher prices as well...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Carvana's continued growth is likely going to shrink unless they can keep expanding into lower populated areas, though, as they are in most of the major markets already. But with more consumers being willing to turn to online sales, it's an opportunity for Carvana to keep up their public profile, increase sales, and eventually turn a profit.
giphy.gif

They aren't going anywhere

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Yaj Yak said:
Agree to Disagree
They aren't going anywhere
I don't think they will disappear either. I just stated a fact that they've had negative net income over the years and my opinion is that their growth level will slow down. And I said, "But with more consumers being willing to turn to online sales, it's an opportunity for Carvana to keep up their public profile, increase sales, and eventually turn a profit." So how are we disagreeing?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I don't think they will disappear either. I just stated a fact that they've had negative net income over the years and my opinion is that their growth level will slow down. And I said, "But with more consumers being willing to turn to online sales, it's an opportunity for Carvana to keep up their public profile, increase sales, and eventually turn a profit." So how are we disagreeing?

you said their continued growth will shrink, i doubt that.

I also don't fully understand "unless they can keep expanding into lower populated areas"

they're nationwide right? I mean, as long as the consumer has internet of course.

I just punched in my just sold truck after I said i lived in nowhereville wyoming

1616152720955.png

also im able to see vehicles i could purchase, if i was there.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
But Amazon had a market to itself once it got facilities up and running Carvana has Carmax. Who makes money on the backside with their own auctions. Has their own financial company. Ownership in the warranty company. Investments in repair facilities and price reporting. They also have done well with new car sales over the years should they make a decision to go back that direction.

i disagree with this. carmax is the blockbuster to carvana's netflix.

i never considered going to take my truck to carmax- and there's a location under 30 minutes from my house. because i 1000% didn't want to make the hassle or take the time.

but punch in my vin online to see how much i could get sight unseen? fuck yeah i'll do that.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen

i never considered going to take my truck to carmax- and there's a location under 30 minutes from my house. because i 1000% didn't want to make the hassle or take the time.

but punch in my vin online to see how much i could get sight unseen? fuck yeah i'll do that.
Bingo. They have a major technology advantage.

taxis and limos have existed for a long time. Uber came along and made an app so it was easy to hail one. They don’t make a profit yet either.

food delivery has been around forever too. You can call the pizza place and have a pimple face kid show up in 30min. Door dash, post mates, grub hub, etc made an app so you can do it all on your phone. None of those companies turn a profit.

the disruption is the technology, not the idea of buying or selling a car.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Bingo. They have a major technology advantage.

taxis and limos have existed for a long time. Uber came along and made an app so it was easy to hail one. They don’t make a profit yet either.

food delivery has been around forever too. You can call the pizza place and have a pimple face kid show up in 30min. Door dash, post mates, grub hub, etc made an app so you can do it all on your phone. None of those companies turn a profit.

the disruption is the technology, not the idea of buying or selling a car.

binnngo.

completely change an industry... uber, amazon, etc. flip an industry on it's head and there is nothing the other big players can do about it because once it's happening it's already too late.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Carvana has the first mover advantage. Other companies will adapt to add similar service to their current business and new ones will pop up too.

can’t stand anything to do with a dealership. It feels so scheisty about every part of purchasing, trading in or getting service.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

did this with the cobalt, waste of an hour plus drive time

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info