Carvana to Boost Capacity, Betting Online Car Sales Are Here to Stay

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Used car dealer Carvana Co. is investing $500 million in new facilities and hiring thousands of employees, betting that recent consumer shifts toward buying vehicles online will outlast the pandemic.

Carvana and other online retailers have benefited from coronavirus-related lockdowns and a consumer shift toward e-commerce. The Tempe, Ariz.-based company, which has operated as an online retailer since it sold its first car eight years ago, sold 244,111 cars in 2020, up 37% compared with the prior year. Thatā€™s in contrast to wider industry trends. Registrations for used carsā€”a proxy for salesā€”declined 7% last year to 37.2 million compared with 2019, according to the National Automobile Dealers Association.

Carvana expects that demand for its services will remain high, even as the pandemic eventually abates. ā€œA big part of it is the customer preference shift toward more comfort buying online, and thatā€™s something we think will be here to stay,ā€ Chief Financial Officer Mark Jenkins said.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I thought this was going to be some sort of over priced vehicle gimmick company but searching for stuff on cars or AT and a lot of their vehicles show up priced VERY competitively with regular brick and mortar dealers.

Also they can take pictures unlike most dealers.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I thought this was going to be some sort of over priced vehicle gimmick company but searching for stuff on cars or AT and a lot of their vehicles show up priced VERY competitively with regular brick and mortar dealers.

Also they can take pictures unlike most dealers.

crazy competitively priced and i love that they point out "flaws" with very clear photos.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
crazy competitively priced and i love that they point out "flaws" with very clear photos.
For sure. Half the time dealers are as bad as Craigslist turds, like 4 pictures that look like they were taken with an original razr facing towards the sun.
Carvana pictures are ridiculously good.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
i bet they think it isn't but it really should be.
After reading your other thread I agree. I assume they foam at the mouth when someone walks in with a trade in, no financing and looking to buy. This takes one of those out of the new buying experience. Only downside is the tax side of things.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
people are using carvana to sell there vehicles. The question is are people using them to buy cars? As much money as they are putting in used vehicles they can easily lose money if they canā€™t sell them. If the market drops on used itā€™s going to be difficult to sell vehicles they are buried in.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
people are using carvana to sell there vehicles. The question is are people using them to buy cars? As much money as they are putting in used vehicles they can easily lose money if they canā€™t sell them. If the market drops on used itā€™s going to be difficult to sell vehicles they are buried in.

i mean... id wager a bet carvana is selling plenty because it's not like they are trying to start an auto museum.

carvana has to have such crazy low overhead compared to a typical brick and mortar dealership too

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
:eek3:

1616079076134.png

so uh... yeah. cars are getting sold.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
ohhhh you're saying vs buying new. yeah. your state's particular tax laws of course still exist on carvana
More so the dealer experience of trading in and buying from them nets you some tax savings vs selling to carvana and buying separately either from a dealer (since carvana doesn't do new) or buying separate from carvana.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
More so the dealer experience of trading in and buying from them nets you some tax savings vs selling to carvana and buying separately either from a dealer (since carvana doesn't do new) or buying separate from carvana.

right, if you're interested in new. when i was tire kicking shit it had my truck, my payoff and that im in IL and had everything i was looking at computed knowing i was in IL for tax trade in "benefits"

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
i mean... id wager a bet carvana is selling plenty because it's not like they are trying to start an auto museum.

carvana has to have such crazy low overhead compared to a typical brick and mortar dealership too

Who is servicing the trades? Detailing, body repair u canā€™t just take a used vehicle in and turn around and flip it with out doing work so they must be paying someone.

Stink Star

Donā€™t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Some dealers are cheap and have the porters take pics instead of paying a professional co.
Or some pay a company to take pictures but they all look like they are taken in a cave and show absolutely nothing about the vehicle and no matter how much people who work there tell them good pictures sell cars they donā€™t listen..... not saying I know any dealers like this or anything....

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i also think some flipppers are buying shit at auction then sending it right to carvana

some of the cars i saw pics were taken in auction lots, i bet they upload the vin, see what carvana will toss at it and bid on it according to that. could be pretty easy way to make some bucks. or potentially get burned if something is a turd.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
To the average human being that doesnā€™t know crap about cars online shopping makes sense. To the TCG brothers that can nit pick a car and find even the smallest bad detail, online car buying doesnā€™t make sense. I need to see the vehicle. I need to smell the interior. I need to look underneath to see how much rust there is on undercarriage. Has anyone on TCG used caravana or vroom to but a car sight unseen??

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
To the average human being that doesnā€™t know crap about cars online shopping makes sense. To the TCG brothers that can nit pick a car and find even the smallest bad detail, online car buying doesnā€™t make sense. I need to see the vehicle. I need to smell the interior. I need to look underneath to see how much rust there is on undercarriage. Has anyone on TCG used caravana or vroom to but a car sight unseen??

i would absolutely purchase a vehicle online from carvana. without a single doubt.

you do know you can return it no questions asked within 7 days, right?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info