šŸ„ Health Carnivore Diet

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
5.15.22 vs today 7.30.22.

Wife had this really bad pic of me a friend took, that's the worst picture of me I've ever seen.

I still have a belly today, I'm still not lean at all. I can't believe I let myself get that bad. I was about to buy 2XL shirts.

7 30 22 carnivore.jpg

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Yeah everytime I think I've found the worst pic of me all I have to do is check over my wife's FB pics and I can another one, like this.

I think a few folks on FB might not believe my weight loss, but I've said repeatedly that I'm still not thin or lean even now.

I hope I can hit 199 at some point (218 now), no clue how long it might take me...

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
In my 3rd month, still at it. Weight is stalled out, I will have to try 1-2 things to figure out why, but I assume too many calories.

I finally tried using Pork rind panko, cut up some pork loin chops and cooked them in the air fryer.

View attachment 128576
you may just be undercounting intake/overestimating calories burned. your body is also an adaption machine, you can do a daily deficit of 1000 calories for a week, but if going longer term, you are better at doing 300 deficit week 1, 500 week 2, etc etc. actually even only dropping more once you find the deficit is no longer working. starting at 1000 would mean you don't have much lower to go, and your metabolism will adjust to that lower intake and slow itself down as well.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
best formula for keeping muscle: do resistance training while you diet, and target 1g per lb of body weight, or if overweight, 1g per cm of height. this should discourage your body from harvesting muscle for energy and tell your body you are still using it. depending on your lifting experience/maturity/etc. you can even lose weight while adding muscle, although unlikely much past newbie gains and maybe novice lifting where you could maybe still do that but likely slowly.

best formula for deficits: seems to be something modest and as long as it is still working, to keep it there. 3500 cals/wk deficit is apparently a bit bro sciencey but effective enough to target anyway. be that a 500 deficit daily or you could make it spikier like 700 deficit m-w and none on the weekend. that's to target losing a lb a week. if you don't care about timeline you could half that and just lose things slower. if you're at that, and the scale isn't moving, and you are accurately counting in/out, then you can try and target a larger deficit. note this may simply be because you aren't accurately counting in/out, which is fine, cuz either way the action is the same of targeting a larger deficit.

also if you are losing your mind due to food/hunger you can up your intake budget by upping your activity. eg. go walk or bike or ideally do something fun. i love these smoothie bowls i get but the calories in them are silly, they work if i have them on days i do muay thai though since i burn so many calories there. you can also look at how to hack what you eat, although i don't think there's much if you are strictly eating meats aside from eating more lean ones. but this is where i also do stuff like make my own pancakes and brownies. i get a craving, i get good protein, i get decent volume, am happy with a snacky. and much better than any other say brownie i might buy or something. i plan on my making my first youtube video on the brownies and i'll show comparisons to ones i can buy, which are all smaller, more calories, and the 20g of protein i have here is all replaced with sugar. eg. they are useless. i'm waiting on a nice camera and moving into my new place before making some videos. i have a nice cinnamon cake too, want to try banana bread soon.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 2.10.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 2.10.07 AM.png

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
sickmint79 sickmint79 I'm 6 feet tall, shooting for 200. I got to around 218 and stalled out. After doing some analysis you were right, my calories were high.

After 2 weeks of being stalled out I have been reducing calories and I'm back to 218 was up to 221.

Do you have any thoughts on what deficit is a good target? I did 1000 calories yesterday. Today I'm lifting so I will try 1000 calories again.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
sickmint79 sickmint79 I'm 6 feet tall, shooting for 200. I got to around 218 and stalled out. After doing some analysis you were right, my calories were high.

After 2 weeks of being stalled out I have been reducing calories and I'm back to 218 was up to 221.

Do you have any thoughts on what deficit is a good target? I did 1000 calories yesterday. Today I'm lifting so I will try 1000 calories again.
fyi in my experience lifting did not burn any more calories than walking, so don't expect lifting to give you a huge caloric budget of burned calories. i think 1000 is a fine (more than i'd like to do myself) target to have, especially if you're comfortable with it/not hungry. i'm happier at 500 for sure but if you've got a solid 20 you're trying to drop and are happy with your diet then 1000 is solid, i wouldn't put in an effort to make a larger one than that.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
No I'm lifting to get more muscles and to increase strength.

I don't think I could do 500 calories very often I'd be grouchy af. My wife sometimes does 5:2 fasting which calls for something like that for 2 days.

I'll try 1000 for a daily goal and see how it goes. Thanks for your input.

Once I hit target weight I'll have to try some strategies to stay lean.

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Once I hit target weight I'll have to try some strategies to stay lean.
Quick question, how many times have you been up and down with weight over the last several years?

Seems like there's a ton of folks dropping weight rapidly, but then unable to sustain....jumping between diets and challenges, etc then putting it back on and then some.

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Since 2011, I got fat twice. Last time was started by lockdown.

I am very concerned about the sustainability for sure. Something meat heavy I think will work for me.
It seems to be that the largest factors seem to be how active you are, and portion control based off that.

Finding and maintaining that balance is the tough part.

I've never tried any of these challenges or diets.....basically because I know I can't maintain them.

The farthest I got down to was 216, which proved to be no good for me....If I am tween 225-235 that's ideal. (I'm 6' 3")

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
I'm definitely a fad diet guy for sure, but I think the positive is I've learned a lot in the last 5 years about Keto and all of the other strategies (WW, etc).

Usually my fall-off triggers are Halloween, T'giving and Xmas, no surprise. I think I'll limit how much candy we buy for Halloween and plan to run out of it rather than end up with 3 extra jumbo bags like we did last year.

I'm betting I'll like how I look at 210 based on past experience and I think 200 will be a struggle to maintain.

Reactions: Huggerorange73

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
I'm definitely a fad diet guy for sure, but I think the positive is I've learned a lot in the last 5 years about Keto and all of the other strategies (WW, etc).

Usually my fall-off triggers are Halloween, T'giving and Xmas, no surprise. I think I'll limit how much candy we buy for Halloween and plan to run out of it rather than end up with 3 extra jumbo bags like we did last year.

I'm betting I'll like how I look at 210 based on past experience and I think 200 will be a struggle to maintain.
The biggest hurdle we face is we're both over 50....shit tends to slow down a bit once you get past 40, so you do have to put alot more thought about not only what you consume...but how much you're consuming.

Keep at it man!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info