3800 Car wont shift until 5k!

While at the track the other night, I noticed that when I would let off the throttle, the lights would dim and the car would occasionally die. I could tell the car was definitely not running right, so I let off during my 1/4 mile pass. Now, when I try to drive normally, the car will not shift until I push it up to approx. 5k rpm. It will also not shift from 3rd to 4th. I considered the possibility of a bad alternator, so I swapped on a spare that I have. The problem did not change. Any suggestions?

If it helps any, I was trying to use n2o, but it appears that my n2o setup is still not functioning correctly.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Are you using a mini-A/F. I heard that the can cause shifting problems cause of the change in HZ's is proportional to the engine load and subsequent shift pionts.

This is what I heard and theroreticly makes sense. I never experienced this phenomina but if you have or can rule out a transaxle problem (vale body issue) It may be another direction for you to go look.

Chales is very knowlegable in this area.

Originally posted by Jamie231@Aug 16 2004, 02:02 PM
does your trans shift at all? or does it seem to stay in one gear?
The tranny will shift, but its never until I hit 5k rpms. It will also not shift into 4th. I am pretty sure that it is something electrical.

I am not using a mini afc. I think it has something to do with the n2o that I was trying to use that is not functioning correctly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• T
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list