• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Car surging in third gear and around 40mph

BigJermGTP

Reaction score
Like topic says, the rpm's will surge if I'm accelerating normally around 40mph and rpms go between 1500 and 2000. First and second gear shift fine but when I get to thrid and fourth gear the rpm's surge. If I floor it, it shifts fine. It will do this for a few seconds till I get to 50-55mph. I've also had Mr. Vogel tune it a while back and it's ran like a champ up till now, so I know that's not the problem.

The trans seems to be in decent shape so I'm ruling that out. I think it's a fuel problem. I need to clean my air filter and I'm probably due for a fuel filter change. What else should I look for to trouble shoot this? Yes, yes, I need a scanner, and that would help me a ton.

Any suggestion? Thanks!

Jeremy

I

imported_Ron Vogel

its a solinoid in the trans going out.
[/b]
Yes, I agree...but a quick fix is to clean the grounds from the battery to the chassis. This will make it work well again like magic. Trust me on this one.

PANDA

Reaction score
Yes, I agree...but a quick fix is to clean the grounds from the battery to the chassis. This will make it work well again like magic. Trust me on this one.[/b]
where are these located?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

One is just below the fuse box on the frame rail, you can follow the neg lead from the battery to it...it's a pathetic ground. The other grounds the trans harness IIRC and it's on the opposite side frame rail right below the cruise control.

You need to wire brush the ring terminal, and skuff up the paint off the chassis for a good connection.

BigJermGTP

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Ron. The surging seems to come and go. It happened for a few days in a row, and today, it did not seem to do it.

What exactly does the solinoid do for the trans? Sorry, newb trans question.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom