Car suddenly not wanting to start

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
You have changed things, you must reverse the changes until you figure out the problem. That is how you will fix your vehicle.
Changes:
1. Power wire routing. Separated battery/alternator from starter/fuse box. Power is not an issue, but I have reconnected the 2 sides with the factory wiring.
2. Changed to a more substantial ground wire. Again, power not an issue.
3. Orientation of FPR. Tried turning it back over, almost all the way. No change.

Have not read entire thread. So beat me up if you like. You try the fuel pump relay?
Relay is fine, primes at key ON, primes after start attempt.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
When I was checking for bad injectors, I pulled the fuel rail off with the injectors attached and cranked the engine. Yes it sprayed gasoline all over, but just a tiny amount and the engine was cold. It let me see which injectors were opening and which were not (and one kept leaking even when off).

They will either be spraying or not - either way will tell you a lot.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
When I was checking for bad injectors, I pulled the fuel rail off with the injectors attached and cranked the engine. Yes it sprayed gasoline all over, but just a tiny amount and the engine was cold. It let me see which injectors were opening and which were not (and one kept leaking even when off).
That's the plan for tonight/tomorrow morning. What did you ultimately determine from that?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Oh, I have no idea then. I would think/hope that's not bad. I THINK the sending unit was replaced probably 5 years ago when the Walbro 255 was installed during the swap project. I guess I have no way of knowing if that hose is bad without dropping the tank. The pump seemed to flow well enough when we were emptying the tank, but I suppose that could be a completely different story when it's trying to build pressure while pumping. Again tho, wouldn't I at least get some chugging and SOME firing, even if shitty?

It would be dribbling fuel out the injectors if it was only seeing 0-10 psi. Ruptured pump hoses are fairly common. if you're not getting a large amount of fuel coming out of the regulator going towards the tank then no it is not building pressure it takes pressure to open the fuel pressure regulator and allow it to return to the tank so that gives you one thing you can test

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
It would be dribbling fuel out the injectors if it was only seeing 0-10 psi. Ruptured pump hoses are fairly common. if you're not getting a large amount of fuel coming out of the regulator going towards the tank then no it is not building pressure it takes pressure to open the fuel pressure regulator and allow it to return to the tank so that gives you one thing you can test
You got a 1/8 NPT fuel pressure gauge lying around that I could borrow? The PRJ rails have no Schrader valve, so I'm looking to install a gauge right into the FPR adapter block.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
That's the plan for tonight/tomorrow morning. What did you ultimately determine from that?

I had four that looked good, one was dead and one that was open all the time. Car had raw fuel coming out the tailpipe!

In your case, I suspect none will look good (nothing or just dribbles). Or they all will look OK and you have a problem elsewhere.

If you do have a bad hose in the tank like James suggests, this will show it. Beats dropping the tank IMO. With the PRJ rails, you only need to pull one side off.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I was referring to removing the return line side off of the fuel pressure regulator....aka the 5/16ths side. ..past/downstream of the regulator.
A burst hose at low pressure will flow quite well since the break will not be forced open. when it tries to build pressure a split hose inside the tank would open wide up and not allow any fuel pressure to build.
yes I got one 1/8th npt

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
I was referring to removing the return line side off of the fuel pressure regulator....aka the 5/16ths side. ..past/downstream of the regulator.
A burst hose at low pressure will flow quite well since the break will not be forced open. when it tries to build pressure a split hose inside the tank would open wide up and not allow any fuel pressure to build.
yes I got one 1/8th npt
Gotcha, that's kinda what I was alluding to. That'll be easier to check than pull up the entire rail too. Will be my next course of action.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Have you.... tried.... this?

b5776c9a-d00b-102c-8a62-649bdd82f236.jpg

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
I see [MENTION=109]TommyGloves[/MENTION] lurking. Any recommendations?

Unfortunately not much more than what's already been said. You can rent a fuel pressure guage from AZ for free.

I have my PRJ rails with the fuel pressure regulator and Autometer fuel pressure sensor you could swap out if you wanted for testing. (just hook up the sensor to BGs HPT.) Just an idea. LMK

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
flashed with wrong MAF file? bad MAF?

I have a spare

Naah, definitely not that. Didn't touch the MAF or tune from last year. In upgrading to the braided SS lines, and installing them properly from the engine bay hard lines to the rails, I seem to have switched the feed and return lines on the fuel rails. DOH!
:picard::fu::tear::eek:wned::doh::snooppalm::rich17: :tmyk::thumbsdown::retard::pat::rollseyes::panda: :lame:

:beer:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info