• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Car storage

Chris01gtp

Regular
Mar 6, 2015
Not sure if this has been talked about but..... for you guys who store your cars over the winter, what do you do? I'm taking mine to an insulated/paved but not heated "barn" about 40 minutes away. My thoughts are.....
-Plastic on the ground
-5+ psi on the tires
-Pull battery and bring home to put on tender
-Sta-bil in the tank
-Cover
-Damprid for moisture?
-Oil Change
-Keep in neutral with no parking brake
-Dryer sheets in interior
-Rag in exhaust Pipes
-Irish springs by each wheel

Anything else you guys do? Wish I could drive it when its nice out but don't have the space. I should also mention this is for my Mustang, not the GTP.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Not sure if this has been talked about but..... for you guys who store your cars over the winter, what do you do? I'm taking mine to an insulated/paved but not heated "barn" about 40 minutes away. My thoughts are.....
-Plastic on the ground
-5+ psi on the tires
-Pull battery and bring home to put on tender
-Sta-bil in the tank
-Cover
-Damprid for moisture?
-Oil Change
-Keep in neutral with no parking brake
-Dryer sheets in interior
-Rag in exhaust Pipes
-Irish springs by each wheel

Anything else you guys do? Wish I could drive it when its nice out but don't have the space. I should also mention this is for my Mustang, not the GTP.

I usually overinflate my tires to avoid flat spots or if it is sticky summer rubber I swap it out for garbage all season rollers.

I put steel wool in my Z's exhaust to keep the critters out.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I usually just fill it up with 93 and add seafoam to prevent the gas from going bad, change oil throw a cover on it but it stays in my heated garage so I don’t have to worry about moisture or animals, definitely add some sort of stabil to the gas, I had a tank of 87 in my dirt bike go bad from spring to fall, like turned to varnish that fast bike wouldn’t even pop off on it I had to drain the tank and clean the carb

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I had my 93 Taurus in storage for almost 10months a had no problems with fuel. This isn't 1965. The battery and the rodents are really the only thing you should prep for a winter storage all that other shit is just unnecessary.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I had my 93 Taurus in storage for almost 10months a had no problems with fuel. This isn't 1965. The battery and the rodents are really the only thing you should prep for a winter storage all that other shit is just unnecessary.

Gas goes bad faster now than it ever has in the history of gas due to the garbage they cut it with now

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Really pumped i didn't get to burn through that 80 gallons sitting safely in my boat then.

neat.

Just put some sort of stabil in it seems to work good I’ve been using seafoam for 5-6 years now with good results, the gas in my snow blower is at least 2 years old and it still starts fine, I’m not sure if the dirt bike went bad from being vented or for some other reason but it went bad fast I’ve never seen it do that in 5-6 months before

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
$3 can of Stabil fuel stabilizer > 10sec. haha

If you ever had to deal with bad gas, the $3 investment isn't even a consideration. I am sure fuel is better than it was half a century ago. But it still can go bad and collect moisture.

Even in a garage, rodents can get in and fuck with your vehicles. I have seen mice fly out of tailpipes and hit the wall, crap packed in the engine bay, and air boxes with torn up air filters and packed with crap. If you don't block things off, at least check things out come spring.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
My s2000 gas is from July, which is the last time I drove it. I will have ZERO problems next year, just like every year, because this isn't 1965 and neither is the cars fuel system. This same theory goes for people who still change their oil every 3k miles.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Gas goes bad faster now than it ever has in the history of gas due to the garbage they cut it with now

My s2000 gas is from July, which is the last time I drove it. I will have ZERO problems next year, just like every year, because this isn't 1965 and neither is the cars fuel system. This same theory goes for people who still change their oil every 3k miles.

That guy works in the field and I am pretty sure knows what he is talking about.

Again, I will spend the extra $3 to potentially save myself a huge headache. lol

btw, happy birthday!

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
If you happen to have gas from 1965 it would still probably fire off in a car since they used lead and no ethanol back then the gas lasted a lot longer, that 10% ethanol causes the gas to absorb water at a much faster rate, plus I have yet to test my theory but I’m betting they are using more than 10% even though they aren’t supposed to there’s a great road kill video that talks about the ethanol in the gas as they are forced to rebuild a carb that’s been sitting with 93 in it for maybe a year due to corrosion

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I remember buddies leaving 93 in their birt bike carbs and having issues. That may have been even worse as it was mixed gas. So as the gas evaporates the oil residue would cause sticking seats and so on.

I have taken carbs off vehicles that have been sitting for years. There was like a powder in them. Not sure what it was. But pretty sure fuel sitting in a carb for years is always gonna lead to a carb rebuild.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
71oU1L9HwOL._SY879_.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info