• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Car shakes violently on the highway

AlmightyBirdman

*shrug*
Reaction score
So I hopped on 88 this morning at Naperville Rd, which was most recently repaved so it has that type of surface that makes your car vibrate a little when driving. Well today when I hopped on and merged in and the car just started shaking like a mofo:fu:. I honestly thought I had a flat tire, but I knew I didn't because it would be vibrating and pulling to one side. I stayed on for a few miles and it would almost stop sometimes and then start up again. Now, I know that my outer tie rods have some play in them and need to be replaced, but would something like that be the cause? Only other thing I can think of is that my tires are not balanced properly, but it never did this until today, so unless somehow one of my wheel weights got knocked off I can't see it being that. What do you guys think?

AlmightyBirdman

*shrug*
Reaction score
Yeah that is what I was thinking but I was hoping it wasn't. I really wanted to wait till the end of the semester to replace them, cause I can bring my car into COD and do an alignment and everything there too.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Your wheels are able to move left and right independently of
the steering wheel and each other. Just measure where the old ones are and put the new ones on in the same place. I wouldn't drive with fucked up tie rods. Dangerous stuff

AlmightyBirdman

*shrug*
Reaction score
Good shit. Do you think I should replace just the outers or should I do the inners too? I've had a couple of people tell me I should replace the outers because that is where the play is, but something is telling me I should do the inners too.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Can you replace the inners? I thought it was part of the rack. For sure do the outers. I don't recall them being too expensive.

AlmightyBirdman

*shrug*
Reaction score
Yeah they are only about 20 bucks per side, I just need to find a place to do it. Unfortunately my buddy with the shop has a lot of projects going on right now tho. I think you can replace the inners, you can buy them on advances wesbsite. I'm sort of a suspension noob tho so don't quote me on it haha.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I replaced the whole rack with a used one from morad and both outers.

When I just replaced tie rods first I just measured from the threads on the rack to the tie rod end (the taper part that goes in the knuckle) and matched the new ones up. Never got an alignment and the car tracked straight and no odd tire wear :dunno:

it actually re centered my steering wheel too :rofl:

AlmightyBirdman

*shrug*
Reaction score
Nicce haha. I'll give that a shot for sure, thanks for the tips. Whatever can hold me off till around Spring is fine by me, cause once this semester is close to ending I'll get to bring it into school.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
Reaction score
wait does the shaking happen when you get on the gas or just anytime for no reason?

reason I ask is when my passenger side CV went, the car would shake like a MOFO above 40 whenever I pushed the gas pedal but nothing when I was off it

AlmightyBirdman

*shrug*
Reaction score
No it was only when I was cruising. I got off the tollway asap and hopped onto butterfield and it was fine up to 50. I would have tried to see how it did going faster but there was a cop creepin. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that it's a new road too and it has a lot of those small little bumps in it, but nonetheless it was a wake up call i gotta fix this shit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom