• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

car is misfiring nasty style at anything under 35-40% throttle.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
k so leaving school today, my pricks is misfiring at idle a lil bit, which it has been forever since i put the turbo kit on it, and it seems to be sort of common.

except leaving today, it didnt stop.

almost to the point of dying, except when i get above around 35-40% throttle... but just a nasty misfire...

where do i start? i have AL 103s in it right now, and my first bet right now is they are fouled so i am going to swap em out for tr6's... any other ideas or does that sound ok?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
heated o2 sensor... which pops up occasionally, along with thermostat... which i dont get cuz the car is at 162*... like always....

and it threw a maf code almost home... but im thinking that was just cuz it was freaking out cuz the crazy misfiring.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heated o2 huh, so pre-cat most likely. You have a wideband in there right? You running rich? Wonder if that's what's fouling your plugs?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
yeah there is no rear o2 in my car... i know its the front one, but it is a more recent o2 sensor...

i am running rich on occasion... i read somewhere that 01s+ have something in their tunes to where they run super rich until they recognize the cat is working or, until a certain percentage throttle is hit... im pretty sure that could be it, cuz i could be cruising at like 14.8ish and then itll just be at like 10-11 outta nooowhere.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What kinda o2 is it? Might just drop a new one in when you do the plugs... bet it helps HUGE.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
gah... i cant afford a new o2 right now sooo im gonna rip the vibe for a while.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Take it out and run it under a MAP torch for about 60-90 seconds then... until it gets nice and red on the end. That'll at least clean it out and give you an idea.

Be sure to reset fuel trims too after the plugs! :D

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
thats good advice. thanks. my o2 sensor is too easy to change to not do it... its seriously like... right there haha

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Check fuse 21 under the hood...

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
aight i will for sure... what is that fuse?

PANDA

Reaction score
Id change the plugs and maybe swap in a 180 for the winter. You probably save some gas.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
changed the plugs. to tr6's... still misfiring...

going to try the o2 when i get some dollars... and swap out the coil packs/icm for ones i have layin around...

mine are stock with 146k miles on em so maybe they are tired.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ignition Control Module. I believe it's the piece your ignition coils sit on that has that electrical connector that goes on with a 7mm or something tiny like that.

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Kevin, did you check fuse 21? Really sounds like that might be your issue. I wouldn't lean towards plugs/ wires if the problem just popped up right away.

I have pretty common misfiring issues with my setup too but I'm running 20k old 103's and even still it's just at idle and it's really mild.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
Ignition Control Module. I believe it's the piece your ignition coils sit on that has that electrical connector that goes on with a 7mm or something tiny like that.
:werd:

Kevin, did you check fuse 21? Really sounds like that might be your issue. I wouldn't lean towards plugs/ wires if the problem just popped up right away.

I have pretty common misfiring issues with my setup too but I'm running 20k old 103's and even still it's just at idle and it's really mild.

i forgot that... i tried to text you the other day asking what fuse to check... but must not have your current number... but i will check fuse 21 tomorrow morning.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Reaction score
i am running rich on occasion... i read somewhere that 01s+ have something in their tunes to where they run super rich until they recognize the cat is working or, until a certain percentage throttle is hit... im pretty sure that could be it, cuz i could be cruising at like 14.8ish and then itll just be at like 10-11 outta nooowhere.
I've never ran into that problem on my 02, but the solution is to change the Code to no error reported, or just allow the code, but make it so it doesn't trip the MIL

Take it out and run it under a MAP torch for about 60-90 seconds then... until it gets nice and red on the end. That'll at least clean it out and give you an idea.

Be sure to reset fuel trims too after the plugs! :D
Werd, especially if the bearings in your turbo leek a little bit of oil, it will foul the 02, you can also use Carb cleaner to blast the 02 clean

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
ahhh yeah i wonder if my turbo may be leaking as well...

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
what would i look for to recognize that?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom