Car enthusiast "trends" that are played out

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Engine swaps in general. Especially from the crowd that doesn't have the money, skill, or time to do one but it's all they talk about.

Disagree

I'm in the camp of swap anything into anything. Great way to learn is just get your hands dirty. Who cares if you don't think you have the skill, get at it. Engine swaps are tough, and I'm not saying to jump in feet first into the deep end as your first project, but get out there and do something you don't think you can do. A lot of people don't have the luxury of friends/family with knowledge/access to learn from, and sometimes you just have to make a go on your own, and do you.

I want more LS swaps into Mustangs, 4BT swaps into Camaros and 240's, SBF's into Volvo's, Volvo's into Mustangs. SWAP ALL THE THINGS

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
LS swaps have turned into the lazy man's swap for when you have zero creativity.

Its still great for a few applications (like Phils car for example, or dedicated track cars), but its just abused now. Why bother being unique when you can just toss a 5.3 into the car like everyone else!

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Disagree

I'm in the camp of swap anything into anything. Great way to learn is just get your hands dirty. Who cares if you don't think you have the skill, get at it. Engine swaps are tough, and I'm not saying to jump in feet first into the deep end as your first project, but get out there and do something you don't think you can do. A lot of people don't have the luxury of friends/family with knowledge/access to learn from, and sometimes you just have to make a go on your own, and do you.

I want more LS swaps into Mustangs, 4BT swaps into Camaros and 240's, SBF's into Volvo's, Volvo's into Mustangs. SWAP ALL THE THINGS
I'm talking about the dudes that go in Facebook and do the whole "This is my project. I'm gunna swap in a Big Block!" and it never happens. Or the people who always ask about buying the engine/trans in a wrecked car with no intention of buying it. So it's artificially inflated in price.

Edit: I love engine swaps when they are done. Especially the setups that aren't common.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Black wheels. White letter tires on low-profile new tires.

Asking $20k for a 70,000-mile, clapped-out G8 GT.
The painted on white lettering needs to go. It’s even worse that it’s not even the tire label, it’s either some dumb word or the model of car.

I dig some 15” meats with white lettering out on some bfg or cooper cobras

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Everything in this picture, squat/Cali lean, tires poking way the fuck out from the body, giant dish wheels with stretched mud tires, etc.

IC90gC1.jpg

This idiot posts up his new wheels and lift and then proceeds to make like 6 threads about steering and wander issues and asking about putting steering stabilizers on a vehicle with rack and pinion......uh get fucking wheels that fit right asshole :rofl:

52c9d995c416bb18df400b529e9294f0.jpg
4d1f7cb0d41ba0cf1f2b630ef6856377.jpg
9392505f41d31419257398abe9f9cc78.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Disagree

I'm in the camp of swap anything into anything. Great way to learn is just get your hands dirty. Who cares if you don't think you have the skill, get at it. Engine swaps are tough,

The problem is LS engine swaps are now a bolt-in affair. You literally can order a kit to LS swap a Mustang. No learning really being done. Even then, most I see are still done by shops. Most younger car people are all about having shops do everything, have a CCD pay for it all, and post all over social media to show how "cool" you are.

I am all for swaps where guys go outside the box. Fabricate that shit with friends. ACTUALLY learn new skills from the research and fabrication.

In the past swaps were a way for people who couldn't afford things to get as much as they could on a small budget due to skills of the owner and friends making things work. Buying a swap kit to put a LS in a Mustang is not in the true spirit of custom swaps.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
LS swaps have turned into the lazy man's swap for when you have zero creativity.

Its still great for a few applications (like Phils car for example, or dedicated track cars), but its just abused now. Why bother being unique when you can just toss a 5.3 into the car like everyone else!

Why bother spending more time & effort to go faster, when you can just put a newer motor in the car for cheap.

Its not played out to me, it just plain common sense. Sure its common and nowhere near unique, but it does work well.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
No one I know who has done an LS swap said it was cheap. :rofl:

The only cheap part about an LS swap is if you buy a junkyard 4.6. And who does that? lol
Getting a JY engine and bolting it in is cheap. Wiring and tuning an Ls is anything but cheap. Even carb’d is expensive when you have to spend $800 on a manifold and ignition box.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Getting a JY engine and bolting it in is cheap. Wiring and tuning an Ls is anything but cheap. Even carb’d is expensive when you have to spend $800 on a manifold and ignition box.

exactly. It is one of those things that if you look at the cost you would be better spending the money on a blower set up for you v8 mustang and being ahead with power and cash saved.

LS swap nissans, your SxS, or your go-cart. That would be way more unique than most other ls swaps you see now a days lol

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
No one I know who has done an LS swap said it was cheap. :rofl:

The only cheap part about an LS swap is if you buy a junkyard 4.6. And who does that? lol

Cheap when you consider what kind of aftermarket heads you need to run with an old-school SBC to make near the same steerable power as a LS based engine.

The OEM LS3 heads are better than a set of AFR 195 Competition Port SBC heads. And just a basic porting package on a LS3 head moves them out of the range of standard 23° SBC stuff entirely.

Heads and cam make the power and the LS design has decades of improvements built into it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info