• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Can't see the fscking timing marks!

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
Ok, here's an example where new is not improved.

On an old Ford, I can simply hook up my remote starter to the solenoid right there on the fenderwell, and look at the harmonic damper, which is clearly marked every 90 degrees, and a very obvious timing pointer on the timing cover.

For 2003, my timing mark on the balance appears to be one tiny notch, and I cant see the timing cover to know where the marks are!

what a butt pain just to give an engine a leakdown test.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
John, you're saying Ford doesn't have us in mind when they design the cars? They don't care that it's difficult to work on one of their vehicles? Have I mentioned my Ford work trucks where changing the plugs is a nightmare and you have to do at least 2 of them by feel? I'm shocked at Ford. Shocked, I say.

Sorry to hear your motor is showing some age. As you said, you have used it properly. :hail:

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
Did you make the leakdown gauge yourself? What size is the orifice?

I have an OTC compression tester and leakdown tester. the orifice between the two gauges? not sure.

I did a compression test two years ago and knew I had a problem. Its why I stopped doing track events with it. It doesn't knock, it doesn't smoke, but its a bit hard to start sometimes.

its like having the same axe for 20 years and only replacing the head, and the handle...i guess...the engine is the only mechanical subsystem I haven't renewed or refreshed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• ShelbyGuy
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list