Can you still get show car exemption for emissions?

Gash

Jan 24, 2023
I have an old 4th Gen f-body that's been in storage for years. It's important to me to keep the tags that are on the car so I just keep renewing my tags every year. Normally, I'd just submit for emissions exemption and I'm good to go. Now, the IL EPA has tightened down and changed the rules in 2022. It's insured with State Farm who doesn't list the car as a "race car", but rather "pleasure." I didn't participate in any racing events last year so I don't have any current receipts. I've tried twice and denied both times because of insurance not showing "race car" and no current receipts/club memberships.

I don't know anyone that lives in a county where emissions are exempt. I'm thinking about using a virtual mail service like anytimemailbox.com or travelingmailbox.com.

Is it as simple as just changing this cars registration to that new address? For those that do this, any caveats to this? Will it affect any of my other cars, drivers license, or insurance?

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
I have an old 4th Gen f-body that's been in storage for years. It's important to me to keep the tags that are on the car so I just keep renewing my tags every year. Normally, I'd just submit for emissions exemption and I'm good to go. Now, the IL EPA has tightened down and changed the rules in 2022. It's insured with State Farm who doesn't list the car as a "race car", but rather "pleasure." I didn't participate in any racing events last year so I don't have any current receipts. I've tried twice and denied both times because of insurance not showing "race car" and no current receipts/club memberships.

I don't know anyone that lives in a county where emissions are exempt. I'm thinking about using a virtual mail service like anytimemailbox.com or travelingmailbox.com.

Is it as simple as just changing this cars registration to that new address? For those that do this, any caveats to this? Will it affect any of my other cars, drivers license, or insurance?
What year is it?

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Have you tried the tags to see if its available in Antique?
Plus with my antique I can run any front plate I wish. So you could leave your old plate on the front.

20220827_152318.jpg

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

It is a lot of BS to get the to pass as exempt that’s fore sure. Have you thought about re registering in very close members name and do a complete title swap it’s a set fee for title and just get new plates wouldn’t that buy u 2 years?

Gash

Jan 24, 2023
Thank you everyone.

They are vanity plates that are important to me that I keep them in our family. I don't want anyone else to get them by me not renewing registration due to emissions. The car has been in storage with a blown 408ci since 2017.

Looks like I can just change the registration for just this one vehicle via the below links without impacting my drivers license, insurance or any of my other vehicles.

I'll need to get a "virtual mailbox" in another county.

https://apps.ilsos.gov/addrchange/

If I just check the "License plate registration address only" box on this form, I should be good to go.
https://www.ilsos.gov/publications/pdf_publications/vsd165.pdf

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Is this a stock 4th gen?

You could get it roadworthy and go through emissions, just scan it to make sure it passes the minimum number of readiness tests allowed for that vehicle. Checking status before going for the test is a good idea if you have the battery disconnected.

Or you could suspend the plates and put storage insurance on it.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I tried changing the address in order to avoid emissions once, and they told me I still needed to go through the testing the one last time before they'd renew the plates and change the address.

Like I said, it's very easy to get an ls1 car to pass emissions, unless you have an aftermarket comptuer in it.

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
Is this a stock 4th gen?

You could get it roadworthy and go through emissions, just scan it to make sure it passes the minimum number of readiness tests allowed for that vehicle. Checking status before going for the test is a good idea if you have the battery disconnected.

Or you could suspend the plates and put storage insurance on it.
Sounds blown John.."The car has been in storage with a blown 408ci since 2017."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info